Pages:
Author

Topic: Energy consumption will become an issue if bitcoin really breaks through - page 3. (Read 23448 times)

Activity: 42
Merit: 1000
homo sapiens sapiens Wink)

How to spell in Latin un(der)wise ?!

Those "animals too" must be punished somehow
 for all that satanic HELL they keep on the Earth.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Good point Arrow,
On that note miners may also heat there homes in winter regardless of the value of coins.
Activity: 62
Merit: 10

(edit)
CONCLUSIONS:

• according to economical basics, energy consumption of the bitcoin network does not depend on mining gear efficiency!
  • the problem described applies to every proof-of-work based currency (including Litecoin) because proof-of-work equals proof-of-energy-consumption at a market equilibrium
  • bitcoin value is NOT directly backed by energy consumption. But mining rewards and transaction fees are.
  • the slower the bitcoin value rises and the lower the transaction fees, the lower the energy consumption of the bitcoin network on the long run

The OP is more or less correct. As long as extra mining is profitable, more electricity will be pumped in to mine. Efficiency of mining technology isn't important for this question. The important thing is how much the annual distribution of coins are worth at the time. Electricity worth a similar (but smaller) amount will be used for mining.
Activity: 113

Interesting development. But according to the text, they operate between 200°C and 600°C. Good luck with your ASIC's.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
Gresham's Lawyer
I think bio-engineered carbon dioxide eating bacteria is the answer.

You know that green plants already do this?
Bio-diesel powered Bitcoin water heaters.
And we in the first world wouldn't need to depend on exploiting the 3rd world if we'd properly recycle our stuff.
Oh,or no ?!
Human beings like slavery Wink
Not paid work is the best solution for
 win in concurrent environment , or at least
 majority of businessmen think so ...

Activity: 490
Merit: 500
I'm in prime wind power territory. Anyone want to invest in HashFarm? Buy some ASICs, a couple turbines, and sell extra electricity back to the grid to buy more ASICs. Use it to show energy conscious skeptics that we're not all "wasting" power. Who's with me?

/half joking
//it would be cool

I'm planning on moving back to an area that gets a ton of sun and eventually getting solar panels.  I may do this exact thing, except with solar instead of wind.  Might have to do it during the off-peak months though since I was planning on using the solar grid for AC during the summer months.  If this mining profit calculator is at all close to accurate, it would make the payback period for the solar grid really quick if I could run it 24/7 during off peak months.  With these numbers, the payback is 50 days for a $15,000 solar grid, which is insanely short.  The only question is, does a solo mining gear actually pay for itself within 10 days?  Maybe I'll go ask on the mining forums.
I'm not talking about Earth itself, it will survive, at the end of the day we can only harm ourselves.
Then there are Greenies...
Some of them even discuss how to prevent
 humans from spawning, because Earth ( so
they say ) must be inhabited only by plants and animals. Wink
Activity: 113
I predict threads started by wishful thinkers will greatly expend more of our resources than bitcoin will before it gets eclipsed by the next currency in a year or two.
Where exactly did you spot wishful thinking in the OP?
Your own assumption might be wishful thinking though. A currency that could rise above bitcoin within a year or two can only be one of the major cryptos that already exist. PPCoin and XRP are the only ones I know of that are not excessively wasteful.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
I predict threads started by wishful thinkers will greatly expend more of our resources than bitcoin will before it gets eclipsed by the next currency in a year or two.
legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1022
hmm lets see

we are using room size computers as PC's still nope

innovation in chips will sort this all out with extra impitus from an increasing btc price, as it has already done with asics
There is no CO2 problem.
Global Warming craze is a scam.

Humans can tolerate up to 4% of CO2 in the air.
A lot of CO2 will be good for plants.
More plants == more food for humans.
more humans == more slaves for us.
Et cetera ...

Well, since you brought it up: Report: 97% of scientists believe global warming is real.  Don't listen to us, listen to the experts.
Those experts were bribed with grants.
We are at the start of Global Cooling.
At least, soon we'll get minimum of
30-year weather cycle.
Fukk those experts, just remember that morning
frosts last year in many parts of the world.

Even if what you said was true, there is still a limited amount of resources on the planet, and the point that the bitcoin infrastructure is wasteful in resource terms alone is entirely valid.
I agree on this.
legendary
Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008
I'm not talking about Earth itself, it will survive, at the end of the day we can only harm ourselves.
Then there are Greenies...

Don't forget the protists.  Bacteria are the obvious rulers of this rock.

And for the record, the humans are kingdom animalia, phylum chordata, class mamallia, order primata, family/genus/species homo sapiens sapiens.     

legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
Nuclear power from the proposed thorium reactors is safe and easier to deploy than uranium reactors. It has very little backing because of political motives. www.energyfromthorium.com
It's not thorium that makes those reactors so safe and effective, it's that the proposed design is a molten salt reactor instead of a water-based reactor.

The cool thing about a MSR is that as a liquid-fueled reactor it can burn U-235, U-233, Pu-239, or a mixture of all three at the same time.
Activity: 798
All of these issues come down to the nuclear energy in any way. It's cheap, clean if necessary precautions are taken, and dangerous as hell. In those regions that has nuclear, electricity per kW is way cheaper, so is the mining.

Nuclear power from the proposed thorium reactors is safe and easier to deploy than uranium reactors. It has very little backing because of political motives. www.energyfromthorium.com
Activity: 359
Merit: 250
All of these issues come down to the nuclear energy in any way. It's cheap, clean if necessary precautions are taken, and dangerous as hell. In those regions that has nuclear, electricity per kW is way cheaper, so is the mining.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

that's not necessary. Population only rises in 3rd world countries where survival pressure is high. They bear much offspring to compensate high child mortality, it's an evolutionary program. Population in the 1st world is stagnating at best. All that's required to live more harmonious with nature is that there exist a well enough living standard everywhere. And we in the first world wouldn't need to depend on exploiting the 3rd world if we'd properly recycle our stuff.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007
It doesn't matter if there is a natural cycle and if there is currently actual global "warming" or "cooling" going on.

The more we interfere with the natural (chaos-theoretical) global eco-system by depleting resources too fast or releasing too much CO2 too fast, the more we disturb processes that have been settling down through millions of years and to which we've adapted through evolution, and the higher will be the probability of effects to backfire at us (think atmospheric turnover).

About Bitcoin, I'm confident that the energy issue will be solved in one way or another, probably in a somewhat surprising way.
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
Well, since you brought it up: Report: 97% of scientists believe global warming is real.  Don't listen to us, listen to the experts.  

Even if what you said was true, there is still a limited amount of resources on the planet, and the point that the bitcoin infrastructure is wasteful in resource terms alone is entirely valid.

I'm pretty sure Ukigo's post was dripping with sarcasm (more humans == more slaves kinda gives it away). But it can be hard to detect over the internet sometimes. Tongue

Oops, good point.  My internet sarcasm detector is pretty bad, which is ironic considering that I'm highly sarcastic on the internet as well.
Pages:
Jump to: