Pages:
Author

Topic: English writing mistakes you might be doing! - page 2. (Read 2732 times)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0
If the author of this thread wants to defeat ignorance it is proposed to organize courses of English language tuition on Skype for example. The error indicators will not make sense without training. Practice is the communication forum.
These courses are probably very positive training. Probably the results are very good. But I have problems with irregular verbs and I always confuse verbs in time. This gives certain difficulties.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
If the author of this thread wants to defeat ignorance it is proposed to organize courses of English language tuition on Skype for example. The error indicators will not make sense without training. Practice is the communication forum.
Activity: 1302
Merit: 288
Cashback 15%
I wasn't a native english speaker, but I been speaking it for 20 years now and I still make many of these mistakes on the list. Good stuff.
Glad I could help.

Another error which is quite common is the difference between it’s and its.
It's on the list – number 26.

Because some of the members here, their native language is not english, and I do believe some of the user out there use google translate in their post.

Again, if they are using Google Translate, they won't make spelling mistakes, they would make non-logical sentences that make no sense. Besides, Google Translate is getting stronger and smarter nowadays, I give them that.
Activity: 630
Merit: 250
And american english is simply wrong. Since the only place you'll hear the queen's english is actually in aberdeen, may I suggest you all start talking scottish, where we simply change anything we want to suit our need's. This is how bad english actually is:

Fee, Fi, Fo, Fum, I smell the blood of an Englishman, be he alive, or be he dead, I'll break his bones to make my bread.

American english.. the only english that makes worse sense than the origional. <-(correct spelling!!)

Activity: 306
Because some of the members here, their native language is not english, and I do believe some of the user out there use google translate in their post.
Activity: 728
Another error which is quite common is the difference between it’s and its.
Activity: 14
I wasn't a native english speaker, but I been speaking it for 20 years now and I still make many of these mistakes on the list. Good stuff.
Cashback 15%
I can't believe your and you're are number 69! It's #1 in my books. Everyone gets it wrong and I have no idea why.

Another one to add to the list, if I didn't just miss it, would be advice vs. advise.

You cannot advice me on what I should do, but you certainly can advise me Wink. In other words, you could give me some advice!

I've also seen vary and very used incorrectly but definitely not as often.

Anyways thanx four the kool lessons you gived us hear. I seen them all over two and I cant stand them. Your a good guy and I hope you recieve alot of great feedback.
List updated, thanks.
I know you and your are mistakes that I personally see from native speakers very often, but it's number 69 (now it's 70  Tongue) due to the alphabetical order. That last part is hilarious, though   Cheesy

couple of days ago, google translate changed my a lot to alot  Shocked
There is Indian town named Alot, so if you put the uppercase it might be because of that.
I didn't know that, thanks for sharing it.

My native language is Polish (slavic) so all the "a/an" and "the" rules are just a nightmare for me because it is completely new idea, not present in any slavic language. In slavic languages we just write nouns without any articles.
It's the same as Russian. I know your feeling though – it's exactly what I feel about German's Der/Das/Die, and Spanish's el/la un/una.

My native language is Polish (slavic) so all the "a/an" and "the" rules are just a nightmare for me because it is completely new idea, not present in any slavic language. In slavic languages we just write nouns without any articles.
With Ukrainian and Polish, too much in common, but English is really a problem. But I believe that the main thing is that we understand each other. When explaining a good conversation.
True. When having a chat with English native speakers, they don't care if you speak English fluently or not as long as you can understand each other.
Activity: 233
With Ukrainian and Polish, too much in common, but English is really a problem. But I believe that the main thing is that we understand each other. When explaining a good conversation.
Activity: 822
Merit: 1002
Activity: 288
There is Indian town named Alot, so if you put the uppercase it might be because of that.
Activity: 223
The post is nice but will not help. A lot of people on the forum are not from English-speaking countries. Many use online translators.
If they are using online translators they wont make spelling mistakes which are subject of this topic.
You need to build your proposals correctly and then not only will the translator translate correctly, but the reader will also understand what was written.
legendary
Activity: 1382
Merit: 1122
I can't believe your and you're are number 69! It's #1 in my books. Everyone gets it wrong and I have no idea why.

Another one to add to the list, if I didn't just miss it, would be advice vs. advise.

You cannot advice me on what I should do, but you certainly can advise me Wink. In other words, you could give me some advice!

I've also seen vary and very used incorrectly but definitely not as often.

Anyways thanx four the kool lessons you gived us hear. I seen them all over two and I cant stand them. Your a good guy and I hope you recieve alot of great feedback.
Cashback 15%
Thanks a lot for your time and effort learned a lot in this post.
No problem, mate.
The post is nice but will not help. A lot of people on the forum are not from English-speaking countries. Many use online translators. Want to help open online learning.
I have never used an online translator before, but I know what it is. If people are using it, and are still making such spelling mistakes, then it would be embarrassing. Online translators would make non–logical sentences (i.e., just English words tied together in a sentence that doesn't make any sense), not spelling mistakes. There is a browser add–on to help with Grammar (and English overall) called Grammarly, I'd recommend people to use it, if they are too lazy to learn.
The post is nice but will not help. A lot of people on the forum are not from English-speaking countries. Many use online translators.
If they are using online translators they wont make spelling mistakes which are subject of this topic.
Exactly.
Activity: 224
Merit: 1
Activity: 41
The post is nice but will not help. A lot of people on the forum are not from English-speaking countries. Many use online translators. Want to help open online learning.
Activity: 503
Thanks a lot for your time and effort learned a lot in this post.
Cashback 15%
It is very nice from your part to help other members that are not so good in English and to get writings on this forum on higher level.
I only thing that you need to change the subject of this topic to something more specifically, so when someone browsing through the topics could assume what the topic is about and to read it if is interesting to him/her.
Thanks for the suggestion.
You are welcome. Title is great now, just like the topic itself is  Wink

Man.. after looking through this, I can understand why people say english is one of the hardest language to learn. Good post
I don`t think that English is the hardest language to learn. There are lot more languages that are a lot more harder... like Chinese
Also, you can never forget what you had learned once, since English all around us... there are musics, movies, also most of tech equipment have English menu...
Thanks. And true! I think the best way to gain a strong command over a language is to contact with it all the time (i.e., Seeing Movies, hearing Music, reading books, and, of course, chatting with native speakers).
It is very nice from your part to help other members that are not so good in English and to get writings on this forum on higher level.
I only thing that you need to change the subject of this topic to something more specifically, so when someone browsing through the topics could assume what the topic is about and to read it if is interesting to him/her.
Thanks for the suggestion.
You are welcome. Title is great now, just like the topic itself is  Wink

Man.. after looking through this, I can understand why people say english is one of the hardest language to learn. Good post
I don`t think that English is the hardest language to learn. There are lot more languages that are a lot more harder... like Chinese
Also, you can never forget what you had learned once, since English all around us... there are musics, movies, also most of tech equipment have English menu...
Pages:
Jump to: