Pages:
Author

Topic: Epic, monstrous post of Jihan Wu (AntPool) - page 2. (Read 4816 times)

legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082
Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile
The idiots that you describe are the ones that give Bitcoin it's value because they are the ones who are using it. If you go against the wishes of these idiots for too long then there will be no reason why Bitcoin will have any value.

Considering these idiots are complaining that the sky is falling because they need to pay ~$.04 in fees per transaction, I'm guessing they aren't the ones using it. Further, I'd guess they don't hold very many bitcoins at all. But who's to say? Well, there's always Bitcoinocracy.... Wink

I think you never really gave it a thought what will happen when we would stay at having bitcoin reach a full block threshold and transaction amount still is rising. I guess you imagine something like slowly rising fees, right? In fact it will be exponentially rising fees because everyone has to compete against an always rising amount of transactions. Everyone does want to get his confirmation. You will have paypal fees in no time.

The attack vector against 2MB blocks, a transaction that possibly needs alot of time to get verified, has already been closed. There is a solution that only has to be included in core.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521
The idiots that you describe are the ones that give Bitcoin it's value because they are the ones who are using it. If you go against the wishes of these idiots for too long then there will be no reason why Bitcoin will have any value.

Considering these idiots are complaining that the sky is falling because they need to pay ~$.04 in fees per transaction, I'm guessing they aren't the ones using it. Further, I'd guess they don't hold very many bitcoins at all. But who's to say? Well, there's always Bitcoinocracy.... Wink
legendary
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
BIP 101 would have increased the maximum block size "today" and then subsequently increased maximum block sizes in the future at a sustainable rate.
That BIP is horrible. Bitcoin can't support a doubling every two years.

There is not any evidence that suggests increasing the maximum block size today is a bad idea. Even if such an increase is "not needed" then there will be no harm in increasing the maximum block size because current modern computers and current modern broadband connections would be able to handle 2MB blocks.
There's that attack vector that a 2 MB block size limit opens up, but I guess that would be considered as "not evidence". Additionally, it gets worse the further up you go.

BTW, if you are against increasing the maximum block size today, then you should also be against SegWit because SegWit will increase the amount of data transmitted each time a block is found.
Not really, no.

There is no such thing as a fake node
Yes there is.

legendary
I think he made a couple of very good points:

1) Logically the devs should have very little power over the direction of BItcoin, and the users (as a whole) should have a lot of power over the direction of Bitcoin

2) The maximum block size needs to be increased immediately

3) Major Bitcoin related companies (AntPool included) need to carefully consider their position and cannot make any rash decisions

4) That the blockstream core devs seems to have a severe bias when looking at evidence and information

5) The the moderation policies of r/bitcoin and bitcointalk do not reflect the ideals of freedom of expression and the free flow of information that is believed in by much of the bitcoin related community

The evidence and information says that increasing the blocksize now is a bad idea, and potentially ever. We can't live off constant hard forks to temporarily pay less fees for onchain transactions because that's as stupid as it gets, that's why we must focus on additional layers to scale a protocol just like it has always been done.

Bitcoin is not a democracy, thats why it has survived this long. Idiots that have no deep knowledge in how to scale a protocol have 0 say on this.
In any case, run nodes for whatever you want to support (as long as they aren't fake nodes like most of the Classic ones).

Even though I agree with forwarding with things like segwit, you saying that increasing the blocksize should never happen is a plain stupid statement. You clearly see the amount of transactions are rising all the time. Still you await somehow that scaling will happen. Well, you might think of not using bitcoin, and pushing bitcoin "papers" around like it's planned with Lightning network. Though that is not scaling the bitcoin network. It is outsourcing.

There is no evidence at all that increasing the blocksize is a bad idea. Everything stated against is "believe". Though that is true for both sides of course. Well, the increase side has the past on his side. It clearly was never a problem having blocks that could be potentially way bigger. Now that the blocks are full, and the lightning network wants to get his place in the game, it is suddenly a big problem.

I hear this "bitcoin is not a democracy" so often. Well, guys that claim that sound like some persons back from middle age. "The king will rule, long life the king." As if the king can never take foolish decisions. In any way... it is a very backward directed view in sight of development of mankind.

Or maybe those stating this feel like some form of anarchists? We do what we want. If you don't comply then live with it since we rule. Which turns it to not being anarchistic anymore of course.

Regarding fake nodes. If someone wants to call them this way... I have read that there is a not small amount of such fake nodes sat up with core nodes. Guess those are legit then because... this is no democracy. Screw those damn rebels who copy core and spread an unlicenced wallet copy. Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000
There is so much misinformation being thrown around here it's a wonder anyone can make a decision on whether their own bladder is full enough to take a piss.

then we need a bladder piss test
Activity: 423
Merit: 250
The elephant in the room is the fact that 75% of all mining is currently controlled by just 4 pools: F2Pool, AntPool, BTCCPool, and BitFury.

Wow, I didn't realise it was that concentrated. And most of that is in China too. What if the Chinese govt went full retard like the Venezuelan govt and arrested all the miners. Mining really needs to be spread out evenly across the globe so there is no single point of failure.

It is not so bad, to the 4 pools are connected many individul miners who can change the pool if some pool misbehave. Im not fammiliar with the 4 pools, but Slush pool (about 3% of Bitcoin hashpower) have about 5000 active users (15000 mining worker units) working at any time...
copper member
Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

1) Logically the devs should have very little power over the direction of BItcoin, and the users (as a whole) should have a lot of power over the direction of Bitcoin

3) Major Bitcoin related companies (AntPool included) need to carefully consider their position and cannot make any rash decisions

4) That the blockstream core devs seems to have a severe bias when looking at evidence and information

5) The the moderation policies of r/bitcoin and bitcointalk do not reflect the ideals of freedom of expression and the free flow of information that is believed in by much of the bitcoin related community

The evidence and information says that increasing the blocksize now is a bad idea, and potentially ever. We can't live off constant hard forks to temporarily pay less fees for onchain transactions because that's as stupid as it gets, that's why we must focus on additional layers to scale a protocol just like it has always been done.

Bitcoin is not a democracy, thats why it has survived this long. Idiots that have no deep knowledge in how to scale a protocol have 0 say on this.
In any case, run nodes for whatever you want to support (as long as they aren't fake nodes like most of the Classic ones).
BIP 101 would have increased the maximum block size "today" and then subsequently increased maximum block sizes in the future at a sustainable rate.

There is little reason why someone would want to use Bitcoin as a settlement layer, and for the most part, this is not how Bitcoin has ever been used.

There is not any evidence that suggests increasing the maximum block size today is a bad idea. Even if such an increase is "not needed" then there will be no harm in increasing the maximum block size because current modern computers and current modern broadband connections would be able to handle 2MB blocks. BTW, if you are against increasing the maximum block size today, then you should also be against SegWit because SegWit will increase the amount of data transmitted each time a block is found.

There is no such thing as a fake node, just because a node is run off of a VPS does not make it "fake", it means that the owner of such node is using the resources of a data center to run a node for one of potentially many reasons. It is probably a bad idea to run a classic node from your home because if you do, there is a decent chance that your ISP will get DDOS'ed and everyone in your area will potentially lose internet access (this actually happened to someone running an XT node).
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

copper member
Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

If Bitcoin has to be scaled via hard forks pushed by a small group, or if a small group (i.e. 2 miners) can block scaling by blocking a size change, then Bitcoin has to fall under control of a very few number of players to succeed.  This contradicts your previous stance.

Of course any small group of people do not represent the consensus, that's why we need a large scale vote and count everyone's opinion through miners vote with their hash power, and service providers asking their customers (you can not fake hash power, and you can not fake long term users on platforms)

Currently for those who voted with their hash power, classic has the majority hash power, and even user number is several times more than core users. And for those who don't vote (currently over 90% of mining hash power has not voted yet) it means they don't care, we can assume that they want bitcoin to run on its historical trajectory (non-full blocks and low fee), so they can also be assumed to support classic. Or, we can assume that they don't command enough knowledge to do the vote, so their vote can not be counted. But since in bitcoin's world no one is responsible for your financial loss, I think everyone who is enough serious about his investment should participate in the vote

wow

can you post the source of this graph please.

It's a scammer trick. That's the vote distribution on the tiny little baby pool that Slush still runs. That stupid graph only represents 3% of the hash rate. There is so much misinformation being thrown around here it's a wonder anyone can make a decision on whether their own bladder is full enough to take a piss.
I would not go as far as to say it is a scammer trick, although it is a bit misleading considering slush's share of the total network hashrate. AFAIK most other pools do not allow for such voting, so it would not be accurate to say that the entire 97% of the miners that do not mine on slush are against classic, nor are they for core, it is that they do not have a mechanism to vote. Another pool that (somewhat) allows miners to vote is f2pool and roughly 4.5% of miners there are "voting" for classic, although miners there need to change the settings on their miners which is a more complex process then changing settings on an account, and voting for core is essentially the default setting for people who were mining prior to this option being enabled.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
The elephant in the room is the fact that 75% of all mining is currently controlled by just 4 pools: F2Pool, AntPool, BTCCPool, and BitFury.

So a small number of large mining pools can dictate by consensus among themselves which version is used to mine, and therefore which version is carried forward. The devs, merchants, users, and investors have little to say in this. The pools are only answerable to their clients, who can only vote with their feet and move to another pool. Bottom line: the large mining pools will do what is in their best interest to maintain the status quo and market share.

Wow, I didn't realise it was that concentrated. And most of that is in China too. What if the Chinese govt went full retard like the Venezuelan govt and arrested all the miners. Mining really needs to be spread out evenly across the globe so there is no single point of failure.
legendary
Terminated.
It's a scammer trick. That's the vote distribution on the tiny little baby pool that Slush still runs. That stupid graph only represents 3% of the hash rate. There is so much misinformation being thrown around here it's a wonder anyone can make a decision on whether their own bladder is full enough to take a piss.
I've called them out on misleading charts before, but they always try using some straw-man arguments to get away with it. There is clearly a very low amount of supporters for Classic. Additionally, if you have read a recent article called "A date with Sybil" then you would know that the nodes are run by less than 300 people (according to the analysis).

I do think some voting mechanism is needed, anybody with Bitcoin can vote.
Well it could work without a mechanism. Miners could easily show support (or "vote") by changing their pool.
mkc
Activity: 517
Merit: 501
Ant pool mentioned was implementing some kind of voting mechanism, any follow up on this?
I do think some voting mechanism is needed, anybody with Bitcoin can vote.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

If Bitcoin has to be scaled via hard forks pushed by a small group, or if a small group (i.e. 2 miners) can block scaling by blocking a size change, then Bitcoin has to fall under control of a very few number of players to succeed.  This contradicts your previous stance.

Of course any small group of people do not represent the consensus, that's why we need a large scale vote and count everyone's opinion through miners vote with their hash power, and service providers asking their customers (you can not fake hash power, and you can not fake long term users on platforms)

Currently for those who voted with their hash power, classic has the majority hash power, and even user number is several times more than core users. And for those who don't vote (currently over 90% of mining hash power has not voted yet) it means they don't care, we can assume that they want bitcoin to run on its historical trajectory (non-full blocks and low fee), so they can also be assumed to support classic. Or, we can assume that they don't command enough knowledge to do the vote, so their vote can not be counted. But since in bitcoin's world no one is responsible for your financial loss, I think everyone who is enough serious about his investment should participate in the vote

wow

legendary
Activity: 1437
Merit: 1002
https://bitmynt.no
If Bitcoin has to be scaled via hard forks pushed by a small group, or if a small group (i.e. 2 miners) can block scaling by blocking a size change, then Bitcoin has to fall under control of a very few number of players to succeed.  This contradicts your previous stance.
Who cares what the miners think?  Miners can't change the consensus.  To change consensus, you must update every bitcoin node on the network.  Otherwise you get what is known as an altcoin.

Currently for those who voted with their hash power, classic has the majority hash power.
A falsum.  If this pie was true, "Classic" would have forked their altcoin already.  And they may already have.  I don't think many people would notice, except for the handful of people who actually use "Classic".
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner

wow

legendary
I wonde actually in which type of country you live in. A democracy it surely isn't or you are the type that thinks "the guys at the top will do the right thing, they probably know better than me". Which lets me ask what kind of government you would chose.
False interpretation of my words. Look at how wonderful the democracies of today are. Seems to be a system that is working very well (a lot of countries being highly corrupted as a example). My wording may not be the best here as I'm not into politics.

Democracy is not yet strong, I know. But still it has proven as a way better way for now. And the people don't agree to corruption so even lobbyist influence on politicians is a real point of critics nowadays. It goes in the right direction at least.

Core fans always tell everyone that bitcoin is no democracy, well, it should. Anyway... you surely should have realized that most bitcoiners are not the kind of subservient and obedient citizens you might be.
So instead of reading, listening and learning the users should complain, spread misinformation and FUD since their technical expertise are severely lacking or non existent? Surely this will be beneficial to the system. I never said that Core should be blindly followed. Nobody should.

It's good to read that you say no one should follow blindly. Though what you should see is that many people that are screaming on one side or the other actually miss knowledge. I switched sides one time, well, maybe I switch more often on subtopics too. The point is that this happens when my knowledge is rising. So discussing the topics is very important.

But even when all facts are on the table, especially the topic at hand is a topic that leaves ALOT room for interpretation and guessing of the future. So what sounds logical on the one side sounds illogical on the other and vice versa. That surely does not mean that misinformations and FUD are spread out of bad habit but because it is the stand of knowledge or/and because you can ask both sides to the same points and both sides can show that they are right. So it's not really bringing anything forward claiming it is FUD.
legendary
Terminated.
I wonde actually in which type of country you live in. A democracy it surely isn't or you are the type that thinks "the guys at the top will do the right thing, they probably know better than me". Which lets me ask what kind of government you would chose.
False interpretation of my words. Look at how wonderful the democracies of today are. Seems to be a system that is working very well (a lot of countries being highly corrupted as a example). My wording may not be the best here as I'm not into politics.

Core fans always tell everyone that bitcoin is no democracy, well, it should. Anyway... you surely should have realized that most bitcoiners are not the kind of subservient and obedient citizens you might be.
So instead of reading, listening and learning the users should complain, spread misinformation and FUD since their technical expertise are severely lacking or non existent? Surely this will be beneficial to the system. I never said that Core should be blindly followed. Nobody should.
legendary
Lauda

I concur. However, when deciding between proposals developers should have more 'power' (because let's face it, the average human is pretty stupid/ignorant). I hope that you understand what I mean by this.

Core fans always tell everyone that bitcoin is no democracy, well, it should. It has proven way too often that democracy is the best choice of governments. Even though our current democratic countries only have a homeopatic democracy. The democracy is so thin that it is practically not existing anymore. What is it worth when the citicens (demo-cracy = ruling of the citicens) has the right to make a single choice once every couple of years and the rest of the time they have to delegate their voice to others?

Anyway... you surely should have realized that most bitcoiners are not the kind of subservient and obedient citizens you might be.

arcticlava and sturle

So a small number of large mining pools can dictate by consensus among themselves which version is used to mine, and therefore which version is carried forward. The devs, merchants, users, and investors have little to say in this. The pools are only answerable to their clients, who can only vote with their feet and move to another pool. Bottom line: the large mining pools will do what is in their best interest to maintain the status quo and market share.

No, miners have no word in this.  It is what users use and merchants accept that matters.  If those pools decide to use a different consensus, they will just mine invalid blocks, and invalid coins.  The miners can choose to ignore blocks produced by other miners, of course, but stick to the consensus rules.  This is called a 51% attack, and is a real danger.

These miners are pools too. So the question is what happens when the miners that mine on that pool direct their hashpower elsewhere, if they can? Would that have an effect?

I agree that the users have the power at the end. Though I fear most users are ignorant and would simply use whatever client they get handed out with an update.

Miners mining worthless blocks... well, that would only be true if the price of the bitcoins on that chain is falling down. That only happens by selling. Who will sell? Will the rich guys on one side sell their coins on the other side to bring the chain down? Or the other way? Worthless is only that is not wanted anymore.

Quantus

The Chines government could easy take over the mining pools inside China and force them to mine empty blocks, they could also force this Jihan Wu to release long winded statements to help direct Bitcoin development in a direction of their choosing. *adjusts tin foil hat* Jihan Wu is ripe for manipulation. If he has not already been turned into a puppet he will be.

I think if the chinese government probably would simply take them out of the game. That would be not a big problem since the only harm that could do would be bigger timeframes between confirmations. It would be a hassle for up to two weeks minimum. The remaining miners would still earn the same that they earned before the pools were taken out. Though with the next diff update they would earn alot more than before. It would mean a new goldrush with miners prices rising very high.

It could not harm bitcoin at all. Only maybe some other forms of attack might be.

If they actually would force them to mine empty blocks then this reminds me of something. Wasn't there a rule of some kind that asic producers would implement a slightly different form of calculation into their miners? That was a precaution in case the algo had to be changed to keep some asics out of the game. I think at the asic goldrush times there was something like that. I'm not sure who dealt with that. The core devs probably.

So it might be possible to keep miners from these producers out.
legendary
Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458
Well, considering that they're the ones that were most likely behind the recent attack, I don't think that they're going to give up just yet. Even if Core agreed to 2 MB block size limit, we would hear the same story some time after its activation asking e.g. for 3-4 MB block size limit (maybe it would be "Bitcoin Reloaded"?).

thats because core started the delay and fud to avoid upgrading even from 2015. and wanted the increase to happen in 2017-18.(2-3 years)
if core implemented the change in summer 2015 with a 6 month grace there would be peace for a couple years.

core wants and loves the endless debate because it makes them feel powerful having people under their thumb pleading for them to do something.

they love and want contention, because it gives them power
they dont like it when we are not asking them to do anything as it makes them feel useless. so ofcourse they want the debate to continue endlessly
legendary
Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458
so is core running a sybil aswell, ill even spoon feed you examples and leave you to look at the rest

here is a majority of core using node hosting services
https://bitnodes.21.co/nodes/?q=OVH%20SAS
https://bitnodes.21.co/nodes/?q=Hetzner%20Online%20GmbH
https://bitnodes.21.co/nodes/?q=Hetzner%20Online%20AG%20RZ
https://bitnodes.21.co/nodes/?q=MCI%20Communications%20Services,%20Inc.%20d/b/a%20Verizon%20Business

and yes core shills also uses amazon.

enjoy counting how many nodes are core
Pages:
Jump to: