Pages:
Author

Topic: Eric Schmidt talked about Bitcoin on MWC Keynote - page 2. (Read 6126 times)

Activity: 311
Merit: 250
Bitcoin.se site owner

Thanks for that.  The Bitcoin question starts at 0:34:10.  Bitcoin got 90 seconds of prime time.
 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKLSO8wYzk#t=2050s

So did anyone read up on what this "faircash" is? Since the guy asking likes P2P payments but think that Bitcoin is nuts it would be interesting to know what his system is about. I found the web site but I haven't had time to read through the technical details yet.
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
What does Schmidt say at one point, Bitcoin is "nuts"?
It sounds like he is responding to someone off mic.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
What does Schmidt say at one point, Bitcoin is "nuts"?
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
Yay for Eric Schmidt and the "free" market!

Funny how so many hold google in high esteem. Remember Alta Vista? Who killed Alta Vista?

State sponsored capitalism = facism

google makes money how? They give most all services away for free? They have vast warehouses of compute power and pay for it how?

Searching isn't enough, but knowing what the urchins are searching for is gold.
Let's see initially for gmail you had to get an invite. So they had a chain of trust/blame.

Yes store all your email on their servers.
Store all your docs there.
Store your calendar there.
Store your address book there.

They track you by pretty much any website you visit. Try dropping google traffic at your firewall and then go browsing.

It's all free! (Well your tax dollars are hard at work)
Don't forget all those millionaires sprung from google.

Advertising. En masse. It is 97% of their revenue, and making it targeted is in the interests of the advertisers.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
Yay for Eric Schmidt and the "free" market!

Funny how so many hold google in high esteem. Remember Alta Vista? Who killed Alta Vista?

State sponsored capitalism = facism

google makes money how? They give most all services away for free? They have vast warehouses of compute power and pay for it how?

Searching isn't enough, but knowing what the urchins are searching for is gold.
Let's see initially for gmail you had to get an invite. So they had a chain of trust/blame.

Yes store all your email on their servers.
Store all your docs there.
Store your calendar there.
Store your address book there.

They track you by pretty much any website you visit. Try dropping google traffic at your firewall and then go browsing.

It's all free! (Well your tax dollars are hard at work)
Don't forget all those millionaires sprung from google.
donator
Activity: 1736
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
He sounded genuinely pro-Bitcoin, even a little defensive towards it, though he quickly disavowed it's legality. It's funny that he works with technology that is changing not only civilization, but our own physiological evolution, yet refuses to openly acknowledge the potential of Bitcoin. I think he's a closet Bitcoiner that is in it just enough to not be caught at it.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

Thanks for that.  The Bitcoin question starts at 0:34:10.  Bitcoin got 90 seconds of prime time.
 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKLSO8wYzk#t=2050s
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
Activity: 558
Merit: 500
legendary
Activity: 1946
Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
legendary
Merit: 1007
(Why is almost every good bit of such software written in Java? I hate it!)

it's a good language for prototyping isn't it  Cheesy
Activity: 938
google is not toasted yet tho  Embarrassed

I don't think Seeks is a distributed search engine. I'm running YaCy on and off for the last couple of years though. Has a long way to go (Why is almost every good bit of such software written in Java? I hate it!), but it's in the right direction.
legendary

I think Bitcoin is Google Bucks.  And Larry and/or Sergey is Satoshi.

This is interesting.  Do you have any more evidence?
legendary
Merit: 1007
What if someone will invent cheap distributed search engine ?
Google will be toasted !!

YaCy.net  Smiley
Seeks Project

google is not toasted yet tho  Embarrassed
Yes , segmentation of the Inet is bad for such open search engine.
But this can be addressed :
 1) Say we have several isolated segments of the Inet-3
 2) run 1 customized instance of the search  engine per segment
 3) let them cooperate with each other through special designed bridges
 to share results of their searching.
 4) Profit !!

I think effective segregation requires that there will be preventive measures against this too (it would be prohibited for at least one of the points). On the bright side, it would effectively make decentralized (and even dark) search engines much more appealing. Smiley
Activity: 784
Merit: 1009
firstbits:1MinerQ
"Balkanize the internet" refers to splitting it up into separate networks under different control/jurisdiction and that they don't play well together.

For example, the SOPA stuff with rules for foreign websites vs. US websites and other similar ideas. You could end up with hundreds of national networks that may/maynot link with each other according to national laws. Basically he's saying we should try our best to avoid going down that road.

Obviously for Google that would be terrible but also for many other companies and just the general public. But it may be what legislators want due to special interest lobbying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balkanize
Closed for / from whom ?
Unaccessible for Google ?  Smiley

No, precisely, I agree. However I'm with Schmidt on that one, the more information that is directly reachable, the better. Yeah, it's good for Google, and he could be all about profits, but it's an open situation. Who's to say a decentralized search engine won't replace Google one day? I would like it to be able to index as much as possible too. With that kind of segregation, it would be impossible to index the web without making deals with giants like facebook, and that won't work for an open search engine.
Activity: 42
Merit: 1000
@memvola
 Thanks for the link !

The REAL opinion is what he THINKS -- not he SAYS  on the public  Wink

Also i am stick with the 1) thought from my above post -- the laws in concern
  are not CURRENT, but the FUTURE ones...

5:40 pm A: The internet is one of the greatest achievements of mankind. DO NOT GIVE THAT UP EASILY. I cannot be more emphatic. Be very careful about moves that seem logical but balkanize the internet.
Hmm, "balkanize the internet" ?!
  What this does mean ?
 Perhaps, Eric does not like end-to-end encryption of future Inet protocols.
 Indeed, how to mine data for profit, when there is only encrypted "garbage" in the net ?
 Smiley

What if someone will invent cheap distributed search engine ?
Google will be toasted !!
 Also i am stick with the 1) thought from my above post -- the laws in concern
  are not CURRENT, but the FUTURE ones...

I don't think he is particularly talking about laws even. What he means is that the State will not want to let people have free money, and that's a war they will not fight. Decentralized money has both freedom of use and independence from economical control.

Indeed, how to mine data for profit, when there is only encrypted "garbage" in the net ?

I thought he was talking about closed systems that require authentication to access content.
 2) Is this his REAL opinion ?Has he personal blog or something ?

http://live.theverge.com/Event/Eric_Schmidt_keynote_at_MWC_2012?Page=2

6:36 pm Q: If it comes to real democracy, payment has to be peer-to-peer. Would you like to know about my technology called FairCash?

6:37 pm A: Are you familiar with BitCoin? There are some issues with peer-to-peer money. In most cases it's illegal, besides that it's a great idea. We had our own proposal called Google Bucks, but we didn't want to get into these issues. Most of these systems will have reguatory issues.
Pages:
Jump to: