Pages:
Author

Topic: Ethereum and ETHER difference - page 2. (Read 236 times)

Activity: 938
Merit: 13
AMEPAY
August 24, 2020, 08:08:07 AM
The confusion is because of big ecosystem of the ethereum network but i think there is no official use of ether ever, the token of ethereum network is usually abbreviated as Eth it is the short form or ticker used to trade ethereum so ether is false. The project is called Ethereum network and their coin/token is called Ethereum (ETH).
Activity: 1274
Merit: 500
Proof-of-Stake Blockchain Network
August 24, 2020, 07:49:40 AM
investors of ETH coin are interested in the price, but not in some developments that do not affect the price of the coin. we all came here to make money.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1151
Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
August 24, 2020, 06:41:00 AM
Ethereum is an implementation of blockchain with defined rules, it is the same as Bitcoin is another implementation of blockchain with defined rules,

blockchain is simply a chain of blocks and you can refer to it as "the database". as a result you don't implement the database, you implement the protocol. Bitcoin is the implementation of a different set of protocol rules where as Ethereum is the implementation of another different set of protocol rules.

now each cryptocurrency has something we refer to as "coins" which have the same name as the project. for example Bitcoin coins are called bitcoin, Litecoin coins litecoin and Ethereum coins Ether. of course in ethereum it is not a "coin" per se, it is a token and is used as fuel for smart contracts. but the concept is similar.

agree, but the point was that Ether is only for Ethereum public mainnet, it does not work on all other instances of Ethereum blockchain with different genesis block, to mention a few testnets and private networks as well

there are many news regarding some powerful companies implemented Ethereum blockchain (SAP as the latest one), but this is not related to Ether, so should not influence price as well
legendary
Activity: 3444
Merit: 10558
August 24, 2020, 03:56:36 AM
Ethereum is an implementation of blockchain with defined rules, it is the same as Bitcoin is another implementation of blockchain with defined rules,

blockchain is simply a chain of blocks and you can refer to it as "the database". as a result you don't implement the database, you implement the protocol. Bitcoin is the implementation of a different set of protocol rules where as Ethereum is the implementation of another different set of protocol rules.

now each cryptocurrency has something we refer to as "coins" which have the same name as the project. for example Bitcoin coins are called bitcoin, Litecoin coins litecoin and Ethereum coins Ether. of course in ethereum it is not a "coin" per se, it is a token and is used as fuel for smart contracts. but the concept is similar.
Activity: 1750
Merit: 260
Binance #SWGT and CERTIK Audited
August 24, 2020, 03:55:09 AM
simple explanation for beginners

Quote from: Harsh Agrawal
Ethereum is the platform and Ether is the crypto-fuel or cryptocurrency that thrives over it. Ether is bought & sold and not Ethereum. Ethererum has various applications but Ether has only one application i.e. to enable operations on the blockchain.
Source: coinsutra.com/ethereum-vs-ether

I guess this is the simplest explanation about the difference between Ethereum and Ether... Grin
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1151
Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
August 24, 2020, 03:19:14 AM
as I entered the crypto currencies and read about projects involved, i did not realized the fact that Ethereum is not the same as ETHER (ETH) and seems to me that most of people take these two as synonyms, although that is not the fact, so i will do a simple explanation for beginners

Ethereum is an implementation of blockchain with defined rules, it is the same as Bitcoin is another implementation of blockchain with defined rules, it is a broad meaning, and there could be many different instances of Ethereum blockchain implementation, these instances are defined by genesis block for each of those, and all blocks that are subsequent to this particular genesis block, while

ETHER (ETH) is a native token of Ethereum public mainnet instance, and as such can be used only on this instance, but there are also other instances - for example many testnets - Rinkeby, Kovan, Ropsten - which are public as well

as other example of instances, there are private Ethereum networks, such as Nightfall instance by Ernst and Young

so basically Ethereum is much broader term than ETH (ETHER) and one should bear that in mind when talking about about crypto currencies and digesting news regarding Ethereum blockchain implementation, that does not have necessarily to have influence on ETH crypto currency
Pages:
Jump to: