Pages:
Author

Topic: Ethereum EIP 1234 accepted - page 3. (Read 1199 times)

Activity: 340
Merit: 15
August 31, 2018, 04:18:55 PM
ETH block reward reduction to 2 ETH/Block confirmed and accepted for Constantinople.
Activity: 306
Merit: 2
August 31, 2018, 03:11:03 PM
Gameover for GPU miners mining ETH then, Its borderline making any profit at all now anyway, Once this hits Gameover for you ETH  Undecided
Activity: 683
Merit: 16
August 31, 2018, 02:57:06 PM
EIPs to delay the difficulty bomb and reduce/maintain the block reward:

b. EIP-1234 - Delay bomb and reduce block reward to 2 ETH.

https://eips.ethereum.org/EIPS/eip-1234

Thoughts on the Ethereum Core Devs Meeting Constantinople Session #1 [08/31/18]

Meeting just ended.

All EIPs currently slated for Constantinople confirmed.

Next HF tentatively slated for 8 months after Constantinople.Difficulty Bomb delayed for 12mo(?).

There was a lot of discussion on Issuance Reduction and ProgPow/ASIC resistance.

In the end EIP-1234 prevailed(and thanks to Souptacular & Piper for recognizing the issue as time-sensitive and that while consensus on the issue hasn't coalesced around a specific EIP the broad intent of the community is clear in wanting a reduction).

It's expected that in the next two weeks or so EIP-1234 will be moved from Draft as Final and the be accepted to be included in the Constantinople HF (ETA is around Devcon4,possibly later).

What really surprised me was the absence of /u/ohgodagirl or someone else from the ProgPOW team to champion their proposal.

There seemed to be a very ambivalent attitude toward ProgPOW and that some core devs we're not that familiar with it.

I can understand the skepticism surrounding a fairly invasive change to the algo,some technical and the need to give the entire ecosystem some time to build mining tools/infrastructure to properly adopt it .It's also to be expected that some core devs are wary of devoting precious time working on altering the PoW stuff when PoS is the clear direction forward.

With that being said i think there should be no questions regarding the detrimental effect of having a large part of the network hashrate being provided by ASICS. ETH specifically adopted Ethash as the PoW algo to stave off asics for as long as possible.

Imho the the eth devs have a clear mandate to keep intact the original vision and to keep ETH ASIC-resilient.

I understand PoS is the holy grail and i do agree but since the timeline for Casper FFG has shifted significantly in the last year i think ProgPOW should be STRONGLY evaluated and, barring any technical showstopping issues , be adopted.
Pages:
Jump to: