Pages:
Author

Topic: Ethereum mining still profitable? - page 65. (Read 131243 times)

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
February 13, 2016, 03:56:32 PM
Gee a lot of nubs posting in this thread about the POS stage... Orchestrated FUD?
Activity: 13
Merit: 0
February 13, 2016, 02:42:50 PM
I see people estimating that the switch to PoS mining will occur this summer.

Does anyone have links to more information on this they can share? What are these estimates based on?

Is it correct that this change will destroy the profitability of mining?
Activity: 428
Merit: 250
February 13, 2016, 05:24:11 AM
Anybody know if you can run ethminer using old AMD drivers like 14.4 and 13.12? I want to use more than 4 GPUs but I am using Windows 7.

Etherminer does not work with 14.4 or below. The lowest version which can work is the 14.6. It works well with 15.7. If you just want to mine with 6 GPU, there is no need to mod.
Activity: 306
February 13, 2016, 01:21:12 AM
Anybody know if you can run ethminer using old AMD drivers like 14.4 and 13.12? I want to use more than 4 GPUs but I am using Windows 7.

Yes you can but you need to mod the drivers, I believe 13.12 will not work but should do fine with 14.4.
legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 1723
Up to 300% + 200 FS deposit bonuses
February 12, 2016, 11:51:17 AM
Activity: 252
February 12, 2016, 11:29:22 AM

I have been mining at home with just one R9 280 X, get around 24 MH/s with it. I did Ethpool for a lttile while, took about 6 days at the time to get rewarded with a block but since then I just solo mined in and then in a week I got two blocks which i thought was ok, but since then nothing but thats the luck of mining I guess

When the difficulty rises fast, it is better to do pool mining. When the difficulty is stable, it is better to do solo mining.
legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
February 12, 2016, 10:25:00 AM

Yeah we really cant predict the future but there are many signs that shows increased market awareness about ETH. One of the biggest examples is Genesis Mining offering ETH mining plans now. Another one would be the spike in transaction volume across many important exchanges. This is mostly caused by chinese mining farms entering the party. And like i said before, the window to make a profit is getting narrower everyday.

We all know ETH is turning to POS in one year. I think this fact can lead/is leading to an "ETH rush" that has the potential to make the price go higher this year.

The genesis mining service is too expensive. It offer 12 month mining plan. But Ethereum will be mineable for only 10 months. It will change to PoS then.

If you read the contract they do say that at some point in the future when ETH turns to POS they will convert your ETH contract to X11 at a ratio of 1 MHS Eth to 1MH/s X11 until your contract ends. I am still so amazed that nobody reads a TOS when you purchase a cloud mining contract.

I have been mining at home with just one R9 280 X, get around 24 MH/s with it. I did Ethpool for a lttile while, took about 6 days at the time to get rewarded with a block but since then I just solo mined in and then in a week I got two blocks which i thought was ok, but since then nothing but thats the luck of mining I guess
Activity: 441
February 12, 2016, 09:33:21 AM
Has anybody tried Ethpool.org? Do you think their stratum mining is about 10-20% higher than the getwork based mining?
legendary
Activity: 1453
Merit: 1011
Bitcoin Talks Bullshit Walks
February 11, 2016, 08:22:27 PM
I found this pool with a great guide and it helped me to get going much faster.  https://eth.suprnova.cc/index.php?page=gettingstarted
Then instead of downloading the client you can use this alternative..  https://kvhnuke.github.io/etherwallet/

Best Regards
d57heinz
I tried suprnova, and though it's a neat pool with 0% fees (except there's a 1% transfer fee, so same thing), my production wasn't what it was on coinotron. Went back to coinotron and set up the stratum mining proxy this time, now getting roughly 6-7% higher payout on average — more than covers the 1% pplns pool fee.
To each their own!

ill check it out.  and see for myself:)  thanks for that..

Best Regards
d57heinz
Activity: 150
Merit: 100
caeruleum arca archa
February 11, 2016, 07:35:56 PM
I found this pool with a great guide and it helped me to get going much faster.  https://eth.suprnova.cc/index.php?page=gettingstarted
Then instead of downloading the client you can use this alternative..  https://kvhnuke.github.io/etherwallet/

Best Regards
d57heinz
I tried suprnova, and though it's a neat pool with 0% fees (except there's a 1% transfer fee, so same thing), my production wasn't what it was on coinotron. Went back to coinotron and set up the stratum mining proxy this time, now getting roughly 6-7% higher payout on average — more than covers the 1% pplns pool fee.
To each their own!
legendary
Activity: 1453
Merit: 1011
Bitcoin Talks Bullshit Walks
February 11, 2016, 12:54:41 PM
Yes is still profitable to mine ethereum,but need good hardware ,
but Intel and Nividea creating new products maybe it will help in the future.

I tried mining ETH but it's quit hard to set up.
Even on a node and on my PC. With the current increase i do believe it's profitable, but question is how long willt his price stay 'high'

Indeed its hard to setup ETH mining. There are many steps involved and that can be kind of overwhelming to newcomers. But if you really put some effort into it, i am sure you can do it. Just read good tutorials and seek help here if needed.

Yeah we really cant predict the future but there are many signs that shows increased market awareness about ETH. One of the biggest examples is Genesis Mining offering ETH mining plans now. Another one would be the spike in transaction volume across many important exchanges. This is mostly caused by chinese mining farms entering the party. And like i said before, the window to make a profit is getting narrower everyday.

We all know ETH is turning to POS in one year. I think this fact can lead/is leading to an "ETH rush" that has the potential to make the price go higher this year.

Best Regards
d57heinz
Activity: 672
February 11, 2016, 10:15:38 AM
I hope PoS comes after 48 months. This will give miners more time to mine and distribute the coins evenly.
Activity: 21
February 11, 2016, 04:38:02 AM
Ethereum forum, they made a calculation and said most GPUs won't be able to mine Ethereum due to DAG limit. Only 4GB and higher will work.
Ethereum forum: https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/4394/extending-mining-through-the-use-of-sli-for-large-dag-files#latest

2GB DAG mid-2017, take it from someone who should know and did the calcs (dlehenky)

If I only had one ETH for every "miner" sitting on the sidelines waiting for PoS to arrive....  Grin

The DAG will be 3GB by the end of this year. But the mining will be not possible before then. It will be PoS.

The DAG size increase 200MB every 6 months. So the 280X should be enough to mine for another 12 months at least. But PoS will come before then.
Activity: 195
Merit: 104
February 09, 2016, 05:22:49 AM
Ethereum forum, they made a calculation and said most GPUs won't be able to mine Ethereum due to DAG limit. Only 4GB and higher will work.
Ethereum forum: https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/4394/extending-mining-through-the-use-of-sli-for-large-dag-files#latest

2GB DAG mid-2017, take it from someone who should know and did the calcs (dlehenky)

If I only had one ETH for every "miner" sitting on the sidelines waiting for PoS to arrive....  Grin

The DAG will be 3GB by the end of this year. But the mining will be not possible before then. It will be PoS.
Activity: 150
caeruleum arca archa
February 08, 2016, 07:48:35 PM

Activity: 57
February 08, 2016, 05:26:27 AM

The genesis mining service is too expensive. It offer 12 month mining plan. But Ethereum will be mineable for only 10 months. It will change to PoS then.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
February 07, 2016, 02:55:56 PM

Even on a node and on my PC. With the current increase i do believe it's profitable, but question is how long willt his price stay 'high'

Indeed its hard to setup ETH mining. There are many steps involved and that can be kind of overwhelming to newcomers. But if you really put some effort into it, i am sure you can do it. Just read good tutorials and seek help here if needed.

Activity: 210
fastdice.com The Worlds Fastest Bitcoin Dice
February 07, 2016, 01:34:59 PM

Activity: 406
February 07, 2016, 08:21:23 AM
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1293
Huh?
February 07, 2016, 07:01:42 AM
You can also ROI with old 280x cards. They are cheap and powerful. For the new Fury cards, you will not ROI.

You can foresee the future i guess?

Tell me where to get me one of those magic bowls. Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: