Pages:
Author

Topic: EU Crackdown On Bitcoin - page 2. (Read 341 times)

Activity: 70
Merit: 0
December 19, 2017, 10:58:55 AM
noone cracks down on bitcoin yet i think. the questions they raise are serious enough, our concern is probably that they dont spill the baby with the bathwater or restrict circulation protecting thier own business
Activity: 1764
Merit: 584
December 19, 2017, 10:37:12 AM
I've watched the vid and there seem to be a year or so left before they start regulating it. It seems that people would have a harder time keeping their money secret from the government. If you have some btc or other alt in an "anonymous" wallet and try to move that to a regulated exchange to convert to fiat, they might track all transactions to/from that wallet as well. Well, it's never really anonymous to begin with anyway.

I only hope that people come to recognize how governments deliberately oppose progress and do things to make life harder and less enjoyable for everyone. Schools and media try to convince us that government is the only thing that can save us from our problems. Yet perhaps its fair to say that sometimes government is the problem.

We've seen enough failed states to know they don't really always have the citizen's interest in mind. It just happened that in more functional societies, the interest of the government and the people are more in line with each other. If they can, governments would go their own way.
Activity: 1862
Merit: 830
December 19, 2017, 09:11:47 AM
Well I think its gonna happen sooner or later..

Because the technology bitcoins have adopted have really held hands of most people who are trying to dive into corruption and everything.

How transparent it is.. is really doing good and bad.. for the people who are in it... Really know how to track everything down how it would effect transactions in a big way if something needs to be tracked down.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001
Crypto-News.net: News from Crypto World
December 19, 2017, 08:59:43 AM
Indeed, illegal acts such as money laundering, terrorism can still be attributed to Bitcoin. However, no one knows this. The bank has started to seriously problem, there may be someone arrested. But I believe that I am not breaking my law, so do not worry about it if you do not do anything wrong. Become a transparent member and do nothing to become a criminal

Sadly but true. Even for us this can be done and they probably use this method for laundering money of any kind. This is perfect method for them. From some point some government call every crypto user a criminal and this is just not good for anyone to say this. Ok it can be used for this illegal activity but not use or do this.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1285
Flying Hellfish is a Commie
December 18, 2017, 10:23:04 PM
The title is a bit misleading, sounds like it’s not really a “crackdown,” just more surveillance on exchanges. There’s a similar law that could be passed here in the US. Keep in mind that this wouldn’t even effect Bitcoin itself, only people who use exchanges (although that does probably include most users).

Yes, there is the slippery slope fallacy that this is the first of many regulations (and believe me, I really keep my eye on regulations that could be the beginning of much more that they appear; in both Bitcoin and otherwise); however here in the US Bitcoin itself is protected under the first amendment (in theory at least, since software is protected), and I think it would be a stretch to try to regulate/ban Bitcoin itself in Europe (I’m not talking about exchanges, but Bitcoin Core itself)

While this is one of the many regulations that's going to be coming, Bitcoin isn't something that is protected by the first amendment. It really isn't. The government, if they wanted to, could fuck us all in an instant by making it very hard to buy and sell bitcoins (like the bitlicense in NY, but on a national level) that would cripple Bitcoin. What if they were to impose some sort of tax on transactions to the exchanges and wallets? Poof, we're gone.

This is all going to come at some point, the governments just have to deem Bitcoin a threat to their control and the people will fall into line with removing Bitcoin from the world -- it's sad how much power these people have.
Activity: 630
Merit: 103
December 18, 2017, 09:13:21 PM
https://youtu.be/xS-eWwwmcoo

It's just unbelievable what's coming out of the mouths of these people. Terrorism, money laundering? Banks have had a monopoly of those for a long time, now a more transparent technology came out, they'd start accusing it of those crimes?

Considering that these bankers has also talked about removing the insurance in bank savings accounts, it just strikes me as revolting for them to say all these. If people felt secured with their money these banks are holding and then loaning away with massive interests, then maybe people wouldn't feel the need to find other ways of keeping their money.

Sigh, guys, they've finally taken notice and has become more serious now. The battle has begun

They are doing everything in their power just to stop bitcoin because they are all now threaten that their former supremacy will be erase in the future but i just  wondering that why these banks in EU is so much tense about bitcoin existence? Unlike banking here in Asia specially here in our country are supporting the bitcoin investment. In fact they are in partnership with our local exchanges.
Activity: 8
December 18, 2017, 08:58:21 PM
I just read a post about some guy that had his entire bankroll confiscated by the European Commission of $700,000. They just took it without any warning or consent. Now, that guy would be worth millions if this didnt happen.

Why do governments think they will control Bitcoin? BTC is a decentralized system immune to governments. Are they blind and can't see this or are they simply ignorant to accept the truth?

Bitcoin can be tracked, but there will likely be a hugely increased black market economy similar to the cash economy right now.
Any completely anonymous coin will likely be banned for registered companies.

Major purchases such as property and cars still need ownership records.
Companies still need to provide tax records for salaries.
People still want security from fraud.

Even with private / freelance sales.
Everyday crypto use will only happen when transfer fees fall to a few cents, and there is more stability.

Right now, would anyone do a $1000 job for bitcoin ?
Knowing the price could drop 20% in a day ?
That's just gambling.

Some folks might accept crypto, but would probably want it converted into regular fiat currency immediately.
Prices aren't going to keep going up forever, and there will be a LOT of caution after the first big crash, and run on the exchanges.

So I think the governments are still going to get their tax share.
I do think income taxes will fall to compensate for increased black economy, and sales taxes will increase.
Activity: 318
Merit: 100
December 18, 2017, 08:38:38 PM
Indeed, illegal acts such as money laundering, terrorism can still be attributed to Bitcoin. However, no one knows this. The bank has started to seriously problem, there may be someone arrested. But I believe that I am not breaking my law, so do not worry about it if you do not do anything wrong. Become a transparent member and do nothing to become a criminal
Activity: 518
December 18, 2017, 08:25:33 PM
I think if they are not funding any wars or any inhumane acts, they would not talk about cryptocurrency and will not bad mouth bitcoin,they would stay away since for them bitcoin is the source of evil, but rather than promoting how good they are, they wanted to destroy bitcoin, unfortunately for them, we live with an advance technology, we can do research even in the palm of our hands, andit is true that crimes against humanity is already there before the creation of bitcoin, andi think they should also consider that fiat is mostly used for the funding crimes. What i think that they should do is to help develop the technology of bitcoin, improve it and promote it to all, since it was created for a good cause.
Activity: 336
December 18, 2017, 07:19:16 PM
The coinmarketcap for crypto currencies passed 600 billion recently and it was clear that they will start to fight back one day! But I can not see how they can effectively attack the crypto currencies? Even if people felt secured with their money on these bank accounts, there is still the problem that it loses every year a huge part of its value! And the times when you received high interest rates to partially compensate your losses are long gone.
Activity: 530
Merit: 250
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
December 18, 2017, 07:14:42 PM
I just read a post about some guy that had his entire bankroll confiscated by the European Commission of $700,000. They just took it without any warning or consent. Now, that guy would be worth millions if this didnt happen.

Why do governments think they will control Bitcoin? BTC is a decentralized system immune to governments. Are they blind and can't see this or are they simply ignorant to accept the truth?
Activity: 26
December 18, 2017, 07:12:30 PM
It's actually easier for criminals to laundry their money in the blockchain then using banks or other services, so somehow it helps their deals.
legendary
Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441
December 18, 2017, 07:11:59 PM
I only hope that people come to recognize how governments deliberately oppose progress and do things to make life harder and less enjoyable for everyone. Schools and media try to convince us that government is the only thing that can save us from our problems. Yet perhaps its fair to say that sometimes government is the problem.

In school, students are taught that its important to be skeptical and not believe in things without evidence. It might be important in this day and age for people to question and be skeptical of institutions like governments which make important decisions which have a powerful effect on billions of lives.

If the UK and other nations crackdown on crypto, it wouldn't necessarily be surprising. It would only reflect US Senate Bill 1241 which tries to be sneaky in doing much the same.

The legislative and media based attack on crypto could represent a good example of how governments cripple innovation and progress in society. There are many other examples of governments restricting innovation and progress. But I think bitcoin could be the most obvious one, hopefully something people will recognize.
Activity: 2310
Merit: 332
December 18, 2017, 07:11:00 PM
A bit of regulation might not be a bad thing.
For real world use, on larger transactions especially, people need a currency that can be tracked and trusted.

If someone is scammed, to think there is a chance of getting their money back.

This you said above and taxing are the only thing I see any form of regulation or control achieving.Otherwise, nothing else.

On the contrary, bitcoin and the crypto world in their manner of operation has taken away the government based security on financial matters and transferred it to individual based where one becomes responsible for their pin, security etc
Activity: 868
Merit: 266
December 18, 2017, 05:57:46 PM

It's just unbelievable what's coming out of the mouths of these people. Terrorism, money laundering? Banks have had a monopoly of those for a long time, now a more transparent technology came out, they'd start accusing it of those crimes?

Considering that these bankers has also talked about removing the insurance in bank savings accounts, it just strikes me as revolting for them to say all these. If people felt secured with their money these banks are holding and then loaning away with massive interests, then maybe people wouldn't feel the need to find other ways of keeping their money.

Sigh, guys, they've finally taken notice and has become more serious now. The battle has begun
There was always a chance that an anonymous currency cane be used to finance terrorism and launder money, Its actually the duty of every country to make sure these kind of things doesn't if it does the country loses revenue and its become dangerous to everyone when terrorist get funds to buy arms and ammunition. This isn't a crackdown of bitcoin at all.
Activity: 8
December 18, 2017, 05:54:00 PM
A bit of regulation might not be a bad thing.
For real world use, on larger transactions especially, people need a currency that can be tracked and trusted.

If someone is scammed, to think there is a chance of getting their money back.

Activity: 98
Merit: 10
December 18, 2017, 05:31:07 PM
Bitcoin is naturally getting more scrutiny now because it's getting so valuable. Hopefully, though, that doesn't mean excessive regulation is on its way.
Activity: 1834
Merit: 759
December 18, 2017, 12:05:38 PM

Well the terrorism and money laundering angle is hardly new. We don't know exactly how much Bitcoin is being used for these purposes, but I feel that the concern is at least somewhay valid. You might say that fiat could be used the same way, and I absolutely agree, but fiat is regulated.

Bitcoin is in the spotlight right now, for both the general public and regulators. You are correct that this is the beginning, for better or worse.
Activity: 504
Merit: 250
December 18, 2017, 11:58:49 AM
The title is a bit misleading, sounds like it’s not really a “crackdown,” just more surveillance on exchanges. There’s a similar law that could be passed here in the US. Keep in mind that this wouldn’t even effect Bitcoin itself, only people who use exchanges (although that does probably include most users).

Yes, there is the slippery slope fallacy that this is the first of many regulations (and believe me, I really keep my eye on regulations that could be the beginning of much more that they appear; in both Bitcoin and otherwise); however here in the US Bitcoin itself is protected under the first amendment (in theory at least, since software is protected), and I think it would be a stretch to try to regulate/ban Bitcoin itself in Europe (I’m not talking about exchanges, but Bitcoin Core itself)
Activity: 994
Merit: 302
December 18, 2017, 10:33:24 AM

Pages:
Jump to: