Pages:
Author

Topic: ever find an old wallet? - page 3. (Read 1921 times)

legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
April 24, 2016, 10:53:38 AM
Do you guys think cloud storage is good for backups or an external drive is better?
both.

but I like local. redundant, rolling and multiple backups is whats saved me on more than one occasion. one is always in a bank safe deposit box.

all encrypted of course.

heh this wallet was so old it was before encryption was in core.
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
April 24, 2016, 10:52:15 AM
its kinda like finding a couple grand under the sofa cushion Smiley

price around aug 2011 was around $10.
hmm even if i bought some random currency online for fifty bucks. im definitely sure I'd remember it lol. Although i remember finding a really small amount amount of bitcoins in a wallet that i stored on my old USB drive. have no clue when i got those.
legendary
Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036
April 24, 2016, 10:46:57 AM
You are very lucky mate  Grin Personally I don't do any backups and unfortunately I can't recover the clams I have on some of my old empty wallets from 2013 onward. I am kicking myself now for not safekeeping the private keys somewhere oh well lesson learned I guess. I am logging everything now on a password manager that can save notes and such crucial data. Do you guys think cloud storage is good for backups or an external drive is better?
legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
April 24, 2016, 10:12:45 AM
so just happened to scroll back through my wallets history. its the original wallet I made back in 2011. one transaction said "sent: Ubuntu". never remembered it. with no corresponding "received from Ubuntu"

well.. I back things up like crazy and sure enough look through old backups and theres a file named "Ubuntu.wallet.dat". oh yeah..

rename my current installs wallet.dat, copy the ubuntu one in, rescan and there it is. 5.0 bitcoin. exactly that one transaction. nothing else.

its kinda like finding a couple grand under the sofa cushion Smiley

price around aug 2011 was around $10.

so, anyone else find old btc you forgot you had? talk about HODLing
Pages:
Jump to: