Pages:
Author

Topic: Every Bitcoin holder Should Take a Cybersecurity course - page 3. (Read 595 times)

Activity: 1358
Merit: 268
Graphic & Motion Designer
I don't think Cyber Security is the correct term here, cyber security usually means advance thing related to hacking and server stuff. And I think it's not a necessity for Bitcoin owner in general to learn about that. And I think on your main post you also talk more about basic stuff that people need to learn to avoid scamming and phising, not some kind of hacker attack.
Activity: 1638
Merit: 425
Cashback 15%
Every Bitcoin holder has to learn about cyber security. There are so many phrases like not your keys not your coins. There are topics covering how to secure your private keys, how to be careful and watch out for phishing emails, links, scams, keylogger and many others. For me the two most important reasons why every bitcoiners should take a personal course on cyber security are because crypto wallets are attractive to hackers and cybercriminals. Secondly, malwares and keyloggers ...there are too many malwares that try to record our details from the backend without our knowledge. Lastly, if the keys is yours, then the coins are yours, it lies on you take a cybersecurity course to learn sophisticated ways to protect your non-custodial wallet that has your coins.

I think that there has never been a time when bitcoiners should take personal Cyber security courses not for commercial purposes but for personal reasons for them to learn how to stay protected and secure their crypto assets.
What do you think?

Well, I completely agree with that, cryptocurrency space is a very dangerous world because of so many hackers, etc. Every day they are trying a lot of ways just to compromise your device, accounts, wallets, etc., and if you really don't know how you're going to protect yourself from these hackers you're going to get hacked for sure. I mean we do notice that most of the people that get hacked are newbies or beginners just because they didn't have a lot of experience and knowledge on how they can protect themselves from these hackers. So before even starting or planning to invest in cryptocurrency or bitcoin you should study how you can protect yourself from this kind of space. So taking courses is really recommended because it could easily save you a big amount of money. I mean we need to continuously learn anyway stay updated on what's happening on the internet because every day there are new ways hackers are trying, most of the time if you are not familiar with how the hackers work they could easily trick you, so always avoid a lot of red flags, and always think before clicking something on the internet.
Activity: 2772
Merit: 645
No dream is too big and no dreamer is too small

than spending money trying to enroll on a cyber security course.
Cybersecurity should be a general concern, I think everyone (bitcoin enthusiasts or not) should be conscious of how they use the internet and how to protect their data. Bitcoiners should be very proactive when it comes to learning and practicing basic cybersecurity the most because bitcoin is a digital asset and we use devices (pcs, mobile phones) to access our bitcoins, these devices are vulnerable to hacks and viruses. The information can be gathered online, one can learn from YouTube videos and other free sources how to protect their data and devices.
Exactly. Whether you’re into crypto or any type of investment online, learning cybersecurity is certainly a must. Otherwise, all the sensitive information that you have been keeping the whole time will be easily stolen by hackers or scammers and definitely all your coins will vanish like a thin air. That’s why we should never take for granted learning cybersecurity at all times, as everything that we need to learn is already laid on the internet for free.
Activity: 2828
Merit: 666
This is not actually necessary but if you have the means to get that course, I believe it can also be very helpful on your part. Especially with all scamming and hacking news every now and then, it’s best to secure our non-custodial wallet at all times. However, even if you don’t get to study on that, learning on how to secure your wallet is still possible through studying this forum and of course, through your own experience in safekeeping your coins. As you keep on hodling your coins, you will know eventually the dos and dont’s when securing your funds/coins in your wallet.
Activity: 532
Merit: 508
Go after the goal... Go!!! It is worth getting!
What do you think?

I think you are very correct, OP. There's this saying that if we are not informed, then we are deformed. I know that this time around it's quite uneasy for some people to read long paragraphs, but for a bit of information that is obtained from cyber security courses, I consider it to be helpful, and it can also be helpful to every Bitcoiner. It doesn't mean that a Bitcoiner must read or learn everything about cyber security at once. Gradually, they can read, and if not now, maybe in the future there are chances that they will still make use of what they have learned. Every now and then, scammers and hackers are always on the internet looking for possible means to hack investors funds.
Activity: 2716
Merit: 904
I think it can be very useful for bitcoin hodlers or any types of investment only if you can afford to pay for it. Because if not, that’s still fine because it’s never actually a compulsory thing to do. As long as you study on the risk of your investment and you always invest with caution, then most likely you can still avoid any form of hacking or stealing on your funds. The most important thing is you always invest responsibly, otherwise your investment will go into waste knowing you are not capable enough to secure your funds or your coins.
Activity: 966
Merit: 701
I agree with you that cybersecurity should be a priority for bitcoiners, as bitcoiners we have become accustomed to security measures (like those mentioned in the OP) that are particular to securing our bitcoin wallets and our funds. But as technology is developing everyday, we have to adapt as well to the current times. Hackers and people with malicious intent are getting creative everyday, it’s important that we develop ourselves so we can protect our data from unscrupulous identities.
Activity: 2590
Merit: 542
Every Bitcoin holder has to learn about cyber security. There are so many phrases like not your keys not your coins. There are topics covering how to secure your private keys, how to be careful and watch out for phishing emails, links, scams, keylogger and many others. For me the two most important reasons why every bitcoiners should take a personal course on cyber security are because crypto wallets are attractive to hackers and cybercriminals. Secondly, malwares and keyloggers ...there are too many malwares that try to record our details from the backend without our knowledge. Lastly, if the keys is yours, then the coins are yours, it lies on you take a cybersecurity course to learn sophisticated ways to protect your non-custodial wallet that has your coins.

I think that there has never been a time when bitcoiners should take personal Cyber security courses not for commercial purposes but for personal reasons for them to learn how to stay protected and secure their crypto assets.
What do you think?

I agree, it's one of the most overlook aspect of crypto. Everyone jumps in and think that in crypto, money is very easy and they are going to be self made millionaire. So they simply buy, whether bitcoin or any other altcoin.

But then it will hit to them that they really need to understand how to protect their wallets. Others overlook it though, until one day, all their crypto was stolen from them because they didn't practice safe security hygiene. So it's really important that at least some basic course about cybersecurity should have been learn by everyone at the start.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1853
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
Of course, protecting the wallet is one of the most important crypto basics that beginners should learn before learning anything else, because most beginners lose their assets due to their lack of experience in protecting their wallet.

Personally, when I was a beginner, my wallet was hacked due to my negligence and lack of sufficient knowledge and experience. So I learned a big lesson from this harsh experience.
legendary
Activity: 1932
Merit: 1273
By cybersecurity people generally mean security for application developers. Things like avoiding SQL injection and other common attacks. As a user, you don't need to know that. You only need to know how to keep yourself safe from malware and phishing/social engineering/scams, how to avoid unsafe Bitcoin wallet setups, like brainwallets.

Jameson Lopp's articles cover almost everything that a beginner needs to know

You are correct sir. Something like this is what I expected OP to have proposed not this whole thing of cyber security because not everyone would be feasible with it. ~

I do also think that the term being used here is incorrect, but the general idea is worth having. Cybersecurity term is too broad but also has deep and in-depth complexities on its own.

For general users, what they should be learning is about Digital Security or Literacy. Scams, malwares, and viruses are being addressed in both cybersecurity and digital security aspect, but in each sector, what is being taught is on a whole completely different level. Lopp's site curates good learning sources, it also tells having formal courses is not necessarily required.
legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 4265
✿♥‿♥✿
I would say that it's not scary to be confident, but it's scary to be self-confident.
On this topic, people often resort to self-confidence, thinking that knowledge about wallets, without knowing what attacks can happen to users, will save them and nothing will happen to them. Well, sometimes people do not want to learn from the mistakes of others; life will present its lessons and experiences to them.
I agree wholeheartedly with the OP. The Internet today is a big garbage heap, flourishing with all possible attractive and not-so-attractive things. How many scams were there, and how were they organized? These are not those sites written on the knee, but rather beautifully designed and advertised scams, which were very difficult not to believe.
And that is why the constant monitoring of all new hacker tricks will be a guardian angel for users who have finances on the network. Talking about the fact that I know this and sleeping peacefully can end very badly. Because as technology evolves, so do hacker schemes. And the best solution for all crypto fans would be regular monitoring of cybersecurity.
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1284
Cyber security is a term that carries a lot of sub-sciences within it, and it is too big to be taught in the form of simple lectures for people who do not have a technical background, but what is better than that is simple advice that everyone can follow and easily avoid most attacks.

Tips could be:

• Do not click or download an application that you do not know or trust in the developer.
  • Learn how to properly set up cold storage wallets.
  • Make a watchonly wallet on a clean device.
  • Check the sending address several times.
  • Avoid overinvesting in altcoins
  • Do not rely on security or anti-virus software. Assume that your device is not safe and take precautions based on this assumption.
  • Read and follow news and updates.

It is as simple as this.
Activity: 1204
Merit: 466
#SWGT CERTIK Audited

What do you think?
Your are right and i agreed with you but to some extent only. Because there are farmers, construction workers, office workers, teachers, etc. whose field of work is totally different from Cybersecurity. They found such things hard to understand. Well if a person is young and still had a learning mind then those people might learn the course otherwise i don't thin people will intend to do such course.

And maybe such ideas could discourage people to adopt BTC. Because they will think of such steps as necessary one and will not make it. But, i do know how much a person will save himself when he get to know the basics of cybersecurity. or at least how hacks happens. I did a course of Data encryption and security in my last semester.

And i was too stunned to know many hacking, encryption techniques and in my POV, a person will not be hacked or scammed until he make a mistake by himself. Like even in the phishing scams the person is the one who click on the links. there are many cases so, if people at least came to know about different hacking and scamming techniques they would save themselves. Such as a topic was created few days back in which OP shared many scams types and many other members also shared unique ones.

Have you ever been scammed ?
copper member
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1481
Bitcoin Bottom was at $15.4k
I am sure most of you are already linked to Computers in any way that you are aware of these basic terms like keyloggers, phishing, etc.
Your idea is good however I don't think so there is any specific need of going through a Cybersecurity course to just be a Bitcoin Holder. It will help in improving knowledge but won't make a big of difference. Instead the user should just know how to keep their Bits safe. That's it Smiley
Activity: 728
Merit: 421
By cybersecurity people generally mean security for application developers. Things like avoiding SQL injection and other common attacks. As a user, you don't need to know that. You only need to know how to keep yourself safe from malware and phishing/social engineering/scams, how to avoid unsafe Bitcoin wallet setups, like brainwallets.

Jameson Lopp's articles cover almost everything that a beginner needs to know

You are correct sir. Something like this is what I expected OP to have proposed not this whole thing of cyber security because not everyone would be feasible with it. The name alone would scare away people from even thinking about it. Although otis good for those fully into the system but not everybody would see it fit to give it a try. People do not want much stress going through things of this nature these days as they prefer this with no much stress or complications.

These links are quite alright for a beginner to fast adapt to and learn the basics of security and getting their wallets protected from scammers and hackers. I think anyone interested would find it okay to go by.
Activity: 672
Merit: 557
You're advising every Bitcoin holder should take a cybersecurity course, since you're a Bitcoin holder, have you complete any cybersecurity course? can you share it? I see you're like to create many thread, so far you've created 188 topics, why there's no one talk about cybersecurity? I'm talking about the knowledge you get from cybersecurity course, not the copy pasta from someone article.

You don't need to run full node to invest in Bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 2562
Merit: 1854
🙏🏼Padayon...🙏
It would be best for anybody in this digital age to undergo some sort of a cybersecurity course, but I don't think that's a prerequisite. One can possibly have the basic knowledge without enrolling in a course. Research, consultation with those who know, and other ways of gaining knowledge might be enough for a hodler. I don't even think you need to know the sophisticated ways of keeping your non-custodial wallets safe. There must be simple yet equally effective ways to protect your money.

OP, have you already finished your cybersecurity course, by any chance?
Activity: 1960
Merit: 273
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

What do you think?
I'm not sure investors holding a fair amount of Bitcoin or beginners starting to save their Bitcoins will think too much about cybersecurity. everyone will think that storing our Bitcoin in a hardware wallet is enough and we don't connect our wallet with an obscure web as much as possible.
after we hold our wallet key, as much as possible we minimize the wallet to connect with any device that can be attacked by malware. I think many of us do that, but don't think about what the concept of cybersecurity really is.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1024
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
What do you think?
I agree, but when I research on this forum not many people use "not your keys, not your coins",
maybe almost of them save on exchange, what do you think?

whatever security lesson we have to offer to them is always useless when they still save on third-party companies.
And at the same time. we think about how to secure their assets on a non-custody wallet even if they really don't know what it is.

it's the same as we tell them calculus but they don't know the basic count of algebra.
Activity: 1400
Merit: 650
Always Act Smart and Play Safe With Your Funds
I think hardware wallet already defines the security aspect of your bitcoin, anyone with a hardware to me does need to bother much about security of someone hacking them or not, the security I think they should secure is to protect their hardware wallet not to be stolen.
There have been lot of topics on this security of a thing but let not be as if no one is eligible enough to hold bitcoin.
Let not forget that some people do not hold bitcoin in safe custodian wallet rather their bitcoin are mainly on exchange where they do trade and make some cool profits, only those who wants to hold for years that thinks of security and best wallet to hold their bitcoin.
Pages:
Jump to: