Pages:
Author

Topic: Exchange BTC addresses - page 2. (Read 269 times)

copper member
Activity: 21
Merit: 5
July 31, 2021, 11:26:34 PM
I went to https://shakepay.com/ website  to take a look at the exchange. On the top of the page they are saying Bitcoin is worth 52k USD and ETH 3212... Their API looks to be broken.. doesn't look like the best exchange around. I would try to solve the problem with the forex first.

Shakepay is a Canadian exchange so the prices you are seeing are in Canadian dollars. Can't say much about their API but the website looks like it was made from the same template as YouHodler.

I did find out that I had made a successful withdrawal in mid June to the same address that the forex broker wants me to use.

My guess is that Shakepay changes the address after every transaction like Coinbase claims they do.

Definitely something to keep in mind for the future. Waiting for Shakepay to respond and give me a list of all addresses tied to my account as well as confirm that they do change the address.
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 6006
bitcoindata.science
July 31, 2021, 10:33:28 PM
Why does the ForEx broker care if the address is the same?  He should just send the funds wherever you ask him to.

DannyHamilton is right. You can withdrawal  to any address you want. Is it just a warning waiting for your confirmation  or  are they refusing to withdrawal?

Forex has very strict AML policies. Cash can only be withdrawn to the same source that made the deposit. They've specifically told me that they can only withdraw to the same BTC address that made the deposit.

Looking at the transaction history of my broker BTC address I can see my deposits being made. Searching for the address I have with the exchange shows that no transactions have been made on that address.

What is strange is that the address the forex broker tells me is the one that made the deposit has only made 2 transactions while I've personally made several.

At first I'd assume that it is because the exchange uses a pool as Danny has said but if it was a pool wouldn't there be more than 2 transactions on that account?

The safest way to discover which address they are talking about is to go to your forex broker account and look at your deposit address , or your deposit history (there might be something like that there).

Once you find those addresses, you can see the transactions in the blockchain and you will be able to see from which addresses you sent your coins from.

If those addresses are not addresses linked to your account in your ShakePay account, then you can contact them. They are the only ones who have the private keys of those addresses. Alternatively, you can talk to the forex exchange and try to withdrawal to other addresses, or withdrawal in cash.

If I'm allowed, I can share the relevant BTC addresses.

Also, there doesn't seem to be any issue withdrawing from a separate account back to Coinbase.

EDIT. Found the address. Apparently Shakepay sometimes changes the address, maybe after every transaction.

You are allowed, however everyone will be able to see how much bitcoins you sent when you share it here.

I went to https://shakepay.com/ website  to take a look at the exchange. On the top of the page they are saying Bitcoin is worth 52k USD and ETH 3212... Their API looks to be broken.. doesn't look like the best exchange around. I would try to solve the problem with the forex first.
copper member
July 31, 2021, 08:31:59 PM
Why does the ForEx broker care if the address is the same?  He should just send the funds wherever you ask him to.

DannyHamilton is right. You can withdrawal  to any address you want. Is it just a warning waiting for your confirmation  or  are they refusing to withdrawal?

Forex has very strict AML policies. Cash can only be withdrawn to the same source that made the deposit. They've specifically told me that they can only withdraw to the same BTC address that made the deposit.

Looking at the transaction history of my broker BTC address I can see my deposits being made. Searching for the address I have with the exchange shows that no transactions have been made on that address.

What is strange is that the address the forex broker tells me is the one that made the deposit has only made 2 transactions while I've personally made several.

At first I'd assume that it is because the exchange uses a pool as Danny has said but if it was a pool wouldn't there be more than 2 transactions on that account?

If I'm allowed, I can share the relevant BTC addresses.

Also, there doesn't seem to be any issue withdrawing from a separate account back to Coinbase.

EDIT. Found the address. Apparently Shakepay sometimes changes the address, maybe after every transaction.
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 6006
bitcoindata.science
July 31, 2021, 08:17:26 PM
Why does the ForEx broker care if the address is the same?  He should just send the funds wherever you ask him to.

DannyHamilton is right. You can withdrawal  to any address you want. Is it just a warning waiting for your confirmation  or  are they refusing to withdrawal?
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 4658
July 31, 2021, 08:05:10 PM
I don't know anything about ShakePay, but MOST exchanges pool the bitcoin funds together.

When you ask the exchange to send out some bitcoins on your behalf, they generally will be sent from a pool of bitcoins that the exchange has control over, and won't necessarily be the same bitcoins that they received when you deposited them.

Banks work the same way with cash.  When you deposit cash into a bank, that cash gets mixed together with all the other cash that the bank is holding.  Then when you withdraw your cash, you don't typically get the EXACT SAME bills that you deposited.

copper member
July 31, 2021, 07:44:25 PM
Hi,

I'm having a tough time understanding this problem.

Awhile ago I deposited some money into an exchange, bought some BTC and immediately deposited it into a forex account.

Now when I try to withdraw the forex broker tells me that my wallet address I have with the exchange is not the same one that originally sent the BTC. This can't be true since I have the transaction history on the exchange and know that I sent it from there right after buying.

What is going on?

The BTC exchange I am using is Shakepay.
Pages:
Jump to: