Pages:
Author

Topic: Exchanges or platforms with too good offers. Be careful - page 2. (Read 256 times)

Activity: 2310
Merit: 332

Terra
Terra and UST was built with a Ponzi scheme, with very high APY up to 20%. Below is a remarkable point on its vital Achilles.
The large demand for UST was driven because of a savings protocol called Anchor on Terra’s blockchain, which promised 20 percent in annual percentage yield

The Ponzinomics were just too obvious: When you pay money for nothing, and stash your nothing in a protocol with the expectation that it will give you a 20 percent yield—all you end up with is 20 percent of nothing.

FTX
Months ago, I am not sure when but maybe in 2020 when transaction fee on Ethereum network was very very high and expensive as consequence of DeFi and NFT hypes, FTX is a first or only exchange which waive withdrawal fee on ERC20 chain for users. The cost for them during those months should be very expensive.

Honestly guys, I enjoyed it as many of you but I have never stored my money on that exchange too long. Back in that year, I did not like their user interface too and maybe it is another reason which keeps me away from FTX exchange.

As usual there is always something that we should watch out for when dealing online. You have seen some of these loopholes as a sign for something not right and was able to take the hard decision not to leave your coins there. I think it is right when we see these things to stay outside and watch maybe we could be right some day in our observation. I have not search this myself to confirm what your point is but if I see traces of something being too good of an offer, my sixth sense is activated.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1071
We know the saying "Too good to be true". Again, it is true in cryptocurrency market. During this year, we have had two big lessons
There are still platforms with good offers, even one's with very good offers that can seem too good to be true, but they are legit. There can also platforms without offers, that don't give off a bad feeling but they are not not legit in their own way. My point is, regardless of the reputation of a platform or exchange, don't let your guard down that you become careless with them. Be careful with all platforms, offers or no offers.
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 3858
Farewell o_e_l_e_o
Too many topics recent days about FTX, this one is not about them. I would like to discuss something more general Smiley

In the past, I wrote Reminder for crypto newbies, traders. Be cautious with new exchanges and now I would like to remind newbies about exchanges or platforms with too good offers.

We know the saying "Too good to be true". Again, it is true in cryptocurrency market. During this year, we have had two big lessons
  • Terra
  • FTX exchange

Terra
Terra and UST was built with a Ponzi scheme, with very high APY up to 20%. Below is a remarkable point on its vital Achilles.
The large demand for UST was driven because of a savings protocol called Anchor on Terra’s blockchain, which promised 20 percent in annual percentage yield

The Ponzinomics were just too obvious: When you pay money for nothing, and stash your nothing in a protocol with the expectation that it will give you a 20 percent yield—all you end up with is 20 percent of nothing.

FTX
Months ago, I am not sure when but maybe in 2020 when transaction fee on Ethereum network was very very high and expensive as consequence of DeFi and NFT hypes, FTX is a first or only exchange which waive withdrawal fee on ERC20 chain for users. The cost for them during those months should be very expensive.

Honestly guys, I enjoyed it as many of you but I have never stored my money on that exchange too long. Back in that year, I did not like their user interface too and maybe it is another reason which keeps me away from FTX exchange.

Institutional investors
It is a terrible trend in the last bull run when people over-talked about institutional investors, venture capitals and they made decisions mainly based on backers and VCs. I am sure majority of cryptocurrency degens in the past bull runs simply look at a project's backers to decide spending money or not.

They are lazy and believe in third-party, skip their own due diligent research and Alameda Research and FTX are very bloody examples for them this year. It should be recalled in future to remind people about consequence of over dependence on VCs.

From Terra, you can learn that if a platform (in any area) gives you 'too good to be true offers', you should be extremely careful and should not touch it. Not only Terra but also many exchanges and DeFi platforms have a lot of staking programs for users (in altcoins or stable coins). I never touch them and you should not too especially if their offers are too good.

From FTX and from my past topic about Altex exchange, you should never believe in exchanges which give you too good benefit. Short term, you can enjoy it but long term, you will never know how it end.

Reference[
Pages:
Jump to: