Pages:
Author

Topic: Expect the Orginals game to get even bigger - actual games - page 4. (Read 787 times)

legendary
Activity: 2828
Merit: 6108
Jambler.io
We know they're desperate for an excuse already specially since dedollarisation is getting stronger...

And here comes the no pills taken in the last month paranoia
So some gamers are saving Nintendo games in the Bitcoin blockchain to stop the dollar from bring replaced by the russian ruble and Iranian rial  Grin

I personally think that those ordinals guys are abusing the blockchain... Sure, there's no central authority and the current protocol allows them to do what they're doing, it still doesn't mean that they're not abusing the blockchain.
The miners make some nice profit from the fact "real" users have to outbid those ordinal folks, ~

And suddenly a permisionless blockchain is not that good anymore as we need some rules, somebody to enforce those rules, but...nobody in charge!  Grin
Never gets old: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_-w_T-t8aM
As for the fees, yeah, some farmers in India make a ton of cash by selling rice at 2 euros per bag in Europe where a shitload of it goes wrong in storehouse, rather than selling it for 10 cents in Central Africa where people are at risk of starvation.  Welcome to a free economy in the real world, where the ones that have money can outbid the ones that don't have!

Currently, you only pay for creating a new "ninja," which is only 1 KB. However, they claim some other features are in the pipeline. For instance, saving the game status on-chain. Imagine finishing level 5, instead of saving that locally, you inscribe that worthless piece of info on the blockchain. So, the next time you open the game, it picks up where you left off. And yes, your friends can witness your game status too.

I'm gonna wait till they put the whole Ark game with all the expansions there, I had a nearly perfect bred Trex I spent days on getting only to have him lost in a battle by some really damn stupid bug Grin The size of the game might be a problem since it seems it's 230GB on my drive but...you never know!
But till I get that, just witnessing this is pretty entertaining enough!  Grin
legendary
Activity: 3346
Merit: 4911
https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC
I personally think that those ordinals guys are abusing the blockchain... Sure, there's no central authority and the current protocol allows them to do what they're doing, it still doesn't mean that they're not abusing the blockchain.
The miners make some nice profit from the fact "real" users have to outbid those ordinal folks, but i've heared new users actually giving up on bitcoin due to the large fees and the unpredictability those ordinal guys are bringing in the average confirmation time. I think nobody realises this abuse might have negative results in the end.

Now they're thinking about using the blockchain to store this kind of data? I think that's preposterous...  Why would thousands of nodes want to use their disk capacity to store this kind of crap?

I personally hope the devs and the miners start to show at least a little bit of concern and close this "attack vector" (yes, i see this ordinal crap as an attack on the community)
Activity: 490
Merit: 311
Play Bitcoin PVP Prediction Game
These people, bitcoin purist needs to understand what likee let's be serious bitcoin has always been able to minimise its scalability problems, then Ordinals showed up and now these people are becoming innovative to creating games. I guess those dev say Ordinals will die down, will be sensible to do the right thing now.
Don't really know why they just don't want to create a separate Blockchain for Ordinals and everyone would be happy.
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 10505
That's what happens when the community (users, devs, node operators, miners, etc.) is lazy and doesn't do anything to fix the exploit that is being abused for about a year now. The abuse keeps growing.
It's only a matter of time before illegal stuff is going to be pushed to the bitcoin blockchain in a way that would raise enough alarms for the authorities to start doing something to bitcoin like banning it for example. Shutting down mining pools, seizing ASICs, and other crazy stuff... We know they're desperate for an excuse already specially since dedollarisation is getting stronger...
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
Ja, on the technical end of it, for 1, currently it is targeting the low data space vintage Nintendo games, specifically the SNES. From the article:
Recursive inscriptions enable users to extract data from existing inscriptions, facilitating the creation of new ones. Owens detailed the process of splitting files into eight chunks and combining them with recursion to make the SNES emulator project feasible.

What would be awesome would be porting Castle Wolfenstein and its later progeny such as Doom to a blockchain. Just not the BTC one...

A more detailed article about it is here

edit - it seems that they already did it with Doom!
Link to the preview version here.  Grin

One huge concern I have is using recursive inscriptions to hold code that can be assembled into an executable - in this case the SNES emulator... What is to stop using the chain to distribute malware or C&C code for it?
Activity: 281
Merit: 408
I have mixed thoughts about it. On the one hand you have the issue of transactions becoming really expensive because the blockchain is being used for dumb stuff like this, but on the other hand, this fear of how in the long run Bitcoin would collapse upon itself in 100 years when mining rewards were too low, perhaps are now out of the question because all these weird usages people are willing to make out of the blockchain? at the end of the day as long as there is demand for the blockchain, there will be fees an thus there will be miners working on processing blocks. But one would also assume that fees would be high in the future due transactions alone. We will see how things develop, but removing ordinals doesn't seem realistic right now.
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 6279
be constructive or S.T.F.U
What do you mean playing them? Please don't tell me they are turning Bitcoin to a distributed and decentralized play station 6 already?=

Yes, they've inscribed an entire Nintendo Entertainment System simulator on the blockchain, complete with the game code.

Then they should pay premium fees IM

Currently, you only pay for creating a new "ninja," which is only 1 KB. However, they claim some other features are in the pipeline. For instance, saving the game status on-chain. Imagine finishing level 5, instead of saving that locally, you inscribe that worthless piece of info on the blockchain. So, the next time you open the game, it picks up where you left off. And yes, your friends can witness your game status too.

It's incredible how people find ways to create value out of seemingly trivial things, and even worse how many people buy into this. Love them or hate them, those devs are as sharp as a tack.
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
Now there are plans in progress to archive vintage Nintendo console games in them.
One fun bit is that the code for playing them through a Web-3 based emulator is stored there as well.
TL;DR
    Bitcoin developers have unveiled a project that will allow them preserve Nintendo games with Ordinals.
    SNES emulator on the Bitcoin blockchain.

Thoughts?
Pages:
Jump to: