Pages:
Author

Topic: Explaining Bitcoin to a non-believer - page 2. (Read 2097 times)

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
June 27, 2013, 02:04:59 AM
The need is the individuals are my parents, and they dont want me to have ANY money in it, and are about to force me to withdraw everything ive put into it, delete accounts etc.

Well, in that case put it all in a brainwallet.  Leave a little bit to withdraw.  If they know how much you put in, reluctantly admit you made a mistake.
Activity: 38
Merit: 0
June 27, 2013, 02:03:40 AM
I need some good arguments for bitcoin, or at least links to the best articles you know of.  My parents, as well as many other people I try to explain the whole system to are very skeptical and refer to it as my "fake" money. I try to tell them and show that you can buy most anything with it and that it has a true use in real-life; yet they qute Warren Buffet for saying he has no money in it, among other investors.

What do you say to someone who wont accept the facts of the system? They just shoot down the "mining" process and say nothing is backing bitcoin so you can easily loose all your money, etc.

Any help would be great, or at least a reference to another thread. Thanks!

What is the need in convincing them?

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/8/82128/1502005-hater_gonna_hate_17_e1281025505246.jpg

The need is the individuals are my parents, and they dont want me to have ANY money in it, and are about to force me to withdraw everything ive put into it, delete accounts etc.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
June 27, 2013, 02:03:23 AM
Have you put a physical bitcoin into their hands and then explained it to them? I think if you do it that way and explain how the private key works etc they might see the light.
Activity: 44
June 27, 2013, 02:01:58 AM
I need some good arguments for bitcoin, or at least links to the best articles you know of.  My parents, as well as many other people I try to explain the whole system to are very skeptical and refer to it as my "fake" money. I try to tell them and show that you can buy most anything with it and that it has a true use in real-life; yet they qute Warren Buffet for saying he has no money in it, among other investors.

What do you say to someone who wont accept the facts of the system? They just shoot down the "mining" process and say nothing is backing bitcoin so you can easily loose all your money, etc.

What is the need in convincing them?

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/140/872/charles%20Bennett%20haters%20gonna%20hate.jpg
legendary
June 27, 2013, 02:00:56 AM
Bitcoin is an experiment in irreversible digital value transfer and storage.  It is not ready for the world.  That said, it is usable and there is a lot of potential upside if it is able to sustain itself until it is ready.

Right, but saying that to them just gets a reply of "exactly" its a scam and you'll loose your money, etc. Im just trying to show how it makes sense and can eventually be a valid, widy used currency, not "monopoly money"

Show them the white paper.  The only other thing they need to know is that the supply is capped at 21 million.  If they still don't get it, we aren't ready for them yet.

http://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
June 27, 2013, 01:53:38 AM
Bitcoin is an experiment in irreversible digital value transfer and storage.  It is not ready for the world.  That said, it is usable and there is a lot of potential upside if it is able to sustain itself until it is ready.

Right, but saying that to them just gets a reply of "exactly" its a scam and you'll loose your money, etc. Im just trying to show how it makes sense and can eventually be a valid, widy used currency, not "monopoly money"
legendary
June 27, 2013, 01:49:12 AM
Bitcoin is an experiment in irreversible digital value transfer and storage.  It is not ready for the world.  That said, it is usable and there is a lot of potential upside if it is able to sustain itself until it is ready.
June 27, 2013, 01:30:05 AM
I need some good arguments for bitcoin, or at least links to the best articles you know of.  My parents, as well as many other people I try to explain the whole system to are very skeptical and refer to it as my "fake" money. I try to tell them and show that you can buy most anything with it and that it has a true use in real-life; yet they qute Warren Buffet for saying he has no money in it, among other investors.

Pages:
Jump to: