Pages:
Author

Topic: Facebook reveals news feed experiment to control emotions - page 2. (Read 2065 times)

Activity: 176
Merit: 100
Still more people joining facebook and leaving.
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
Everyone should stop using facebook. These "researchers" are not observers anymore, they are actively blocking newsfeeds.
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
Stopped using Facefook years ago, never really liked putting all my personal info into a CIA database.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
It worked for me, i got so fed up with my news feed winding me up with people commenting on their drab lives and me constantly reading it wondering what I’m doing with my life i deleted it off my phone and I'm all the better for it. Thanks facebook, worked a treat for me!
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
★☆★Bitin.io★☆★
Meh facebook is pretty useless now. I have an account to stay in touch with people but I haven't been an active user in over 2 years. It isn't surprising that they would do something like this. Ethics don't really matter in the facebook world. 
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015
"Clay Johnson, the co-founder of Blue State Digital, the firm that built and managed Barack Obama's online campaign for the presidency in 2008, said: 'The Facebook 'transmission of anger' experiment is terrifying.'"
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1049
Merit: 1006

How does Facebook decide what to show in my news feed?

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/30/facebook-news-feed-filters-emotion-study

<< Controversial emotion study is a reminder that the social network's filters are constantly at work in the background. >>
Activity: 994
Merit: 441
OMG people are manipulated by other people. Isn't that something? Politicians do it, rich people do it, poor people do it and of course Facebook does it. So politicians feel they have a right to stop facebook. WHY?
Activity: 378
it’s not a big deal. Our emotions are manipulated all the time by media, advertising and interaction with other humans. Facebook users will not be leaving the network and 99% of them will not change the behavior as a response to this news. Move along, there are more important events taking place in the world. Unethical?
Activity: 364
Certainly this experiment was highly unethical, but the response from our government is just a bit amusing, considering they engage in this kind of activity all the time, not even as an experiment but positively counting on the fact that it works.
Activity: 448
If people stopped treating FB like some sort of moaning tool then maybe they wouldn't need to do research like this. FB has died in my eyes, I use Twitter. People are way more positive on Twitter, and I find that folk on FB say things that they wouldn't reveal in face to face conversation. It's a social disaster.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007
Once again, for Facebook you're not the customer, the advertiser is the customer, and you are the product being sold; and now, you're also the lab animal
legendary

Facebook emotion study breached ethical guidelines, researchers say

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/30/facebook-emotion-study-breached-ethical-guidelines-researchers-say

<< Lack of "informed consent" means that Facebook experiment on nearly 700,000 news feeds broke rules on tests on human subjects, say scientists. >>
legendary

Facebook reveals news feed experiment to control emotions

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/29/facebook-users-emotions-news-feeds

<< Protests over secret study involving 689,000 users in which friends' postings were moved to influence moods. >>
Pages:
Jump to: