Pages:
Author

Topic: FBI disrupts 9 crypto exchanges used to facilitate criminal activities - page 2. (Read 280 times)

legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1853
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
It seems that the United States is continuing its war against Crypto, even outside its borders, within the countries with which it has international agreements.

But the question is, are all these services really bad? Or just because they work in cryptocurrency mixing and don't require KYC?

I've never heard of most of these services on the list before but I suppose they're not all bad!
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 2013
I've never heard of any of these exchanges before.

Me neither. The fact is that if they are advertised in

Yeah, seems to be just a fly by night crypto exchanges and they are just create or build for that purposes, to be used by bad actors. Perhaps this could be promoted in some places in the web that is nested by this kind of criminals, and then market it as the place they can launder their money. So the operators we can say are smart enough to be under the radar for many years until someone from the US might have reported it, or some whistle blower tell it to the authorities.

And it might be that they are serving US customers that's why FBi has to step up again. We all know how long their hands of the law is, specially if it involves US citizens whether users or victims here.

It is quite likely and I guess they did not have much trading volume, but just enough to facilitate the laundering of these illegal activities.
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1655
I've never heard of any of these exchanges before. Are they Ukraine exchange that serve US customers or something? Seems like some of their servers are hosted in the US, which is why the FBI is seizing them, CMIIW. Calling them small is probably an understatement if we look at their social media. I've checked the 24xbtc and their Instagram doesn't even reach 1 thousand followers. I wonder how they can do the alleged laundering activities if they don't have a large number of users.

exchanges that were sized seem small, but this opens the way for all platforms that do not require verification of identity that they will be next on that list.
Some exchanges will probably block US customers if they want to keep their no-KYC policy available. Although I'm not sure if that is a good move from a business standpoint. People should look for decentralized solutions to avoid being locked out of their accounts before their exchange starts to demand KYC.

Yeah, seems to be just a fly by night crypto exchanges and they are just create or build for that purposes, to be used by bad actors. Perhaps this could be promoted in some places in the web that is nested by this kind of criminals, and then market it as the place they can launder their money. So the operators we can say are smart enough to be under the radar for many years until someone from the US might have reported it, or some whistle blower tell it to the authorities.

And it might be that they are serving US customers that's why FBi has to step up again. We all know how long their hands of the law is, specially if it involves US citizens whether users or victims here.
legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 4270
I'm not sure about all sites, but I've seen some services before. Most of these sites are not cryptocurrency exchanges, but rather private services for exchanging cryptocurrency for fiat. There are many such services at https://www.bestchange.ru/
Such services did not collect information about customers and there are thousands of such services in Russia alone
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1789
I've never heard of any of these exchanges before. Are they Ukraine exchange that serve US customers or something? Seems like some of their servers are hosted in the US, which is why the FBI is seizing them, CMIIW. Calling them small is probably an understatement if we look at their social media. I've checked the 24xbtc and their Instagram doesn't even reach 1 thousand followers. I wonder how they can do the alleged laundering activities if they don't have a large number of users.

exchanges that were sized seem small, but this opens the way for all platforms that do not require verification of identity that they will be next on that list.
Some exchanges will probably block US customers if they want to keep their no-KYC policy available. Although I'm not sure if that is a good move from a business standpoint. People should look for decentralized solutions to avoid being locked out of their accounts before their exchange starts to demand KYC.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 3645
Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange
It seems that US is serious about fighting unlicensed platforms, as there is a Virtual Currency Response Team (VCRT) dedicated to such a response, but according to this report ----> https://www.justice.gov/usao-edmi/pr/fbi-disrupts-virtual-currency-exchanges-used-facilitate-criminal-activity , no notice has been issued against those who run these sites, which appear to be from a country where Interpol cannot issue a red notice Or am I wrong?!

Activity: 2618
Merit: 833
The FBI has seized together with the Ukrainian police, a total of 9 crypto currencies exchange that is being used as a front and facilitated money laundering by cyber criminals. The 9 crypto currencies are:

• 24xbtc.com
  • 100btc.pro
  • pridechange.com
  • 101crypta.com
  • uxbtc.com
  • trust-exchange.org
  • bitcoin24.exchange
  • paybtc.pro
  • owl.gold

Noncompliant virtual currency exchanges, which have a lax anti-money laundering program or collect minimal Know Your Customer information or none at all, serve as important hubs in the cybercrime ecosystem and are operating in violation of Title 18 United States Code, Sections 1960 and 1956.  Many of these services are advertised on online forums dedicated to discussing criminal activity. By providing these services, the virtual currency exchanges knowingly support the criminal activities of their clients and become co-conspirators in criminal schemes.

Much of the criminal activity occurring at the affected exchanges involved cyber actors responsible for ransomware, but also other scammers, and cybercriminals.  The service’s website offered support in both Russian and English.

The investigation is ongoing. Visitors to the sites will now find a seizure banner that notifies them that the domain name has been seized by federal authorities and operating an unlicensed money service business and facilitating money laundering is a federal crime.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-edmi/pr/fbi-disrupts-virtual-currency-exchanges-used-facilitate-criminal-activity

It's good that this kind of websites are being taken down, but we all know that this is just the beginning. Maybe next week this operators are going to open up a new website to cater for their customers. So it's going to be a ongoing battle between the bad actors against government agencies. Just interesting though that since the war is still ongoing on Ukraine, this criminals business are still thriving.
Pages:
Jump to: