Pages:
Author

Topic: Feathercoin Advanced Checkpointing released today - page 2. (Read 11094 times)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100
fml
That's right. But it could be almost impossible, because he can start another one, even at home PC behind the NAT. It will be interesting to see how they would try to DDoS his ISP. Roll Eyes

Wouldn't the main node, be hardcoded into the client? How could he just make a new one? He'd have to upgrade every client on the network, would he not?
legendary
Activity: 3108
Merit: 1358
That's right. But it could be almost impossible, because he can start another one, even at home PC behind the NAT. It will be interesting to see how they would try to DDoS his ISP. Roll Eyes
fml
What happens if someone DDoS's the node?

If Bush's node does not work, the network will continue to function as it is doing now. The extra protection provided by ACP won't be there.

So, basically, if someone wants to attack feathercoin, they just need to take out that node first...
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

If Bush's node does not work, the network will continue to function as it is doing now. The extra protection provided by ACP won't be there.
fml
legendary
Activity: 1239
Merit: 1020
No surrender, no retreat, no regret.
Maybe it's my own many concerns with the coin coming up, but now I really think the community should see the code.

Sunny King made the ACP pull request on the 20th of August. Everyone interested could access and review the code on GitHub like I did. Verified on the testnet in the following days, no vulnerabilities were found. The patch was merged on the 25th of August and the updated client was released officially in 2 days. Those who were interested to participate, they did.
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
So it was suggested on the FTC forum that a non-biased party review the code, but it was dismissed.. Very concerning.

Quote from: Smoothie on August 29, 2013, 04:16:48 pm
To be completely fair I suggest that Peter have the new portion of the code reviewed by other coin developers just to get input from a technical perspective.

Perhaps Peter already did this as I have not been watching this that closely.

Wesphily replied:
Everybody that has the knowledge required and is willing to put in the time required has already reviewed the code. What I mean by this statement is that most people who have the experience do not have the time or refuse to put in the time required. Most people who have the time and/or willing to put in the time don't have the experience required. Hard to meet both requirements without $$ involved.

Maybe it's my own many concerns with the coin coming up, but now I really think the community should see the code.
Activity: 798
‘Try to be nice’
There is no way to "have fun", even if checkpointing server will be stolen from the DC. If you would try to change checkpoints in the past, such attempts will be rejected by network.
If checkpointing server can be stolen and it would not make any difference, then what is the point (pun not intended) of having a checkpointing server at all?

It contradicts itself - if this checkpointing server is so important for security, then how can the theft of this server not compromise security in any way?

And here in lies the problem of having a centralized master node.

Now it boils down to mainly physical security. Our current banking system already has that problem. Only difference is they have the status quo and resources to protect their systems and Peter doesn't.

QUESTION: What would happen if the master node were to crash? Would the network come to a halt? Who or what would decide the depth of checkpointing and validate the checkpoints?

Please read Balthazar's teachings in this thread , you guys need to learn , I'm not a particularly intelligent being and i can seem to understand it.

the other point is , that of course um,...well, just this:

A nations currency supply is "issued" and wait for it , its "issued" into debt, and has "interest" added to it, it is issued by a central authority.

now i know Bitcoin is very controlled and centralized , Bitcoin is really actually centralized because of the very few that hold so many, but that aside , not even Bitcoin as flawed as it is is a "central issuing authority"

so:

How do you even start to compare the two?

{and i assume you are not stupid}

so to be very clear in my question:

How can you compare a National issuance of central currency INTO DEBT, though the creation of a Bond and then a shell game "open market operation" and then Currency issued/monetaized as a "loan" with "interest" added , for then that to be multiplied by the Fractional reserve system, with the only way of a human to get "currency" is the expend labor or energy or borrow it AGAIN , after it was borrowed into existence, with the double whammy , and wait for this ... the new borrowed money adding to the currency supply and essentially inflating the current actual supply thus meaning the existing human loses more standard of living?

to and with

Advanced Centralized Checkpoints?

Follow me carefully, the way I was comparing them is as follows:

Master Node -> Physical Machine -> Physical Security -> How Banks are secured mainly.

They enforce their PAPER by the status quo of having physical security in the form of Guns, Guards, Walls, Etc.

on one point I will diverge they enforce the paper though ignorance,  and the control of information.

a time past.
legendary
Activity: 1239
Merit: 1020
No surrender, no retreat, no regret.
There are talks of changing the difficulty algorithm once again because it is "unfair" that certain miners get to "abuse" the rules set forth.

To change the rules again shows that the first change was not well thought out and should not have happened at all. Sorry if this is off-topic but it is essentially in the same category as this thread as it is another change being spoken about currently.

I don't think there should be any other difficulty adjustment changes. Disclosure: I am not a miner and have not been for 2 years now.

The 1st hard fork was necessary as it brought Feathercoin back in business. Many other altcoins have changed their difficulty adjustment settings. 3 months have passed, the situation is different now. It's better to evolve up to new reality than to ignore it.

There is no way to "have fun", even if checkpointing server will be stolen from the DC. If you would try to change checkpoints in the past, such attempts will be rejected by network.
If checkpointing server can be stolen and it would not make any difference, then what is the point (pun not intended) of having a checkpointing server at all?

It contradicts itself - if this checkpointing server is so important for security, then how can the theft of this server not compromise security in any way?

Now it boils down to mainly physical security. Our current banking system already has that problem. Only difference is they have the status quo and resources to protect their systems and Peter doesn't.

QUESTION: What would happen if the master node were to crash? Would the network come to a halt? Who or what would decide the depth of checkpointing and validate the checkpoints?

If the checkpointing server(s) security is compromised, a new pair or keys is generated, and the client is updated and distributed to users after an appropriate announcement. If the checkpointing server(s) stop to function for some reason, the network continues to operate as usual and may be 51% attacked also as usual. Only the key owner can add new checkpoints, and even he cannot undo them.
Activity: 66
Merit: 10
Kimoto for president!
After lookin at "centralization" I first thought "well, that's the end of FeatherCoin".

But after studyin' a bit more, the only thing that's centralized is the checkpoints and because they are always inserted by hand,  it is centralized for every coin already.  Or does everybody here compile their client with their own checkpoints?

Difference now is that it's done more often, makin it safer.  So a lot of fuzz bout nothin.

I'll ask Dr. Kimoto to look into this.  Is it open source?
Activity: 154
CoinTropolis
Congratulations to Feathercoin for now adding extreme legal hazard to its already amazing record of technical failure.  By becoming a centralized virtual currency, Feathercoin has now become de facto controlled by a single entity and is thus at risk of government crackdown like what happened to Liberty Reserve.  The owner of the checkpoint key also puts themselves enormous personal risk.

The track record of technical incompetence of Feathercoin development is clear and quite humorous.

* Despite claiming that Feathercoin is about innovation, Feathercoin hasn't fixed ANY OF THE BUGS since copying the old Litecoin 0.6.3 source.  They have had months of opportunity to copy critical bug and security fixes from Litecoin 0.6 or to upgrade to 0.8.

* To add to this further, when Bushstar copied Litecoin, he failed to change the alert private key (which was seriously bad), but the way Bushstar responded made it even worse.  Instead of replacing the alert key with his own, he disabled alerts entirely making it impossible to alert all users that they need to upgrade in the event of a future emergency.

* Also the way that Feathercoin modified its difficulty formula without understanding what he is doing and without modifying the pool software created that breathtakingly awesome time-travelling exploit.

Feathercoin has managed to fix no bugs, added more bugs, make themselves a regulatory hazard that is highly likely illegal as a centralized virtual currency, and has failed to upgrade to 0.8 despite months of source code access to litecoin.  Amazing.

The excuse against centralization being bad where individual users can remove or disable checkpoint enforcement is a meaningless lie.  If the major pools enforce checkpoints, then it doesn't matter if the users are enforcing broadcast checkpoints.

Where do you want me to send the holiday cards?
There are talks of changing the difficulty algorithm once again because it is "unfair" that certain miners get to "abuse" the rules set forth.

To change the rules again shows that the first change was not well thought out and should not have happened at all. Sorry if this is off-topic but it is essentially in the same category as this thread as it is another change being spoken about currently.

I don't think there should be any other difficulty adjustment changes. Disclosure: I am not a miner and have not been for 2 years now.

Sounds somewhat familiar to the implementation of ACP - not well thought out.

I am a miner that takes advantage of the Diff drop to 137, it would be wise to change it and get rid of ACP.
Activity: 190
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

Please read Balthazar's teachings in this thread , you guys need to learn , I'm not a particularly intelligent being and i can seem to understand it.

A nations currency supply is "issued" and wait for it , its "issued" into debt, and has "interest" added to it, it is issued by a central authority.

now i know Bitcoin is very controlled and centralized , Bitcoin is really actually centralized because of the very few that hold so many, but that aside , not even Bitcoin as flawed as it is is a "central issuing authority"

so:

How can you compare a National issuance of central currency INTO DEBT, though the creation of a Bond and then a shell game "open market operation" and then Currency issued/monetaized as a "loan" with "interest" added , for then that to be multiplied by the Fractional reserve system, with the only way of a human to get "currency" is the expend labor or energy or borrow it AGAIN , after it was borrowed into existence, with the double whammy , and wait for this ... the new borrowed money adding to the currency supply and essentially inflating the current actual supply thus meaning the existing human loses more standard of living?

to and with

Follow me carefully, the way I was comparing them is as follows:

Master Node -> Physical Machine -> Physical Security -> How Banks are secured mainly.

They enforce their PAPER by the status quo of having physical security in the form of Guns, Guards, Walls, Etc.
‘Try to be nice’

so:

to and with

legendary

‘Try to be nice’
Advanced Checkpoints  {Tick yes}

Diff adjustment changes  { No , generally bad}

The Reward insta-mine  {No , possible deal breaker for me} {See Goldcoin's "success"} {you can see they are trying very hard to memory hole this issue} 
legendary

It's not dead, nor will be for a while, but if this doesn't scare people away, they deserve what they get.
Pages:
Jump to: