Pages:
Author

Topic: Feathercoin - The Miner Update - Hard Fork Block 87948 - page 2. (Read 2269 times)

legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154
Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?
Stickied for a day or so. I'll be watching the thread, but please send me a pm after the fork target block has been passed.
legendary
Activity: 1354
Merit: 1020
I was diagnosed with brain parasite
Just perfect, no more diff traps for FTC!
erk
Activity: 826
Merit: 500
I like the windows installer, a bit more pro than a lot of the other coins that you basically unzip.

legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
Perhaps loyal miners would have been a better term.

In short, when the diff swings up 41% the hashrate drops to ~3Gh/s. The LOYAL miners, rather than hop to the next most profitable coin stick around and mine at a higher diff for 2+ days to bring the diff back down. Then when the diff does swing down by 41%, all the multipools and profiteers swing their miners back to FTC, the hashrate jumps to ~10Gh/s and so the good times (low diff) only lasts for 8 hours before swinging up again.

This update will stop the 41% bounce and limit it to 9%. There will be swings still of course but hopefully the effect will be reduced. Simples.

Of course, if you are not a loyal miner, you may not see the benefits, possibly the opposite but we're all about looking after the loyal guys in the community. Grin

That is all.

Why not then just remove all that and go with the most granular diff adjustment (i.e. after each block)?
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
Perhaps loyal miners would have been a better term.

In short, when the diff swings up 41% the hashrate drops to ~3Gh/s. The LOYAL miners, rather than hop to the next most profitable coin stick around and mine at a higher diff for 2+ days to bring the diff back down. Then when the diff does swing down by 41%, all the multipools and profiteers swing their miners back to FTC, the hashrate jumps to ~10Gh/s and so the good times (low diff) only lasts for 8 hours before swinging up again.

This update will stop the 41% bounce and limit it to 9%. There will be swings still of course but hopefully the effect will be reduced. Simples.

Of course, if you are not a loyal miner, you may not see the benefits, possibly the opposite but we're all about looking after the loyal guys in the community. Grin

That is all.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

Though the current Feathercoin difficulty which we changed to get us out of a tough spot it is not fair for long term miners who have to experience 41.4% swings on every adjust.

How so?

If there is an even playing field (i.e. all participants agree to the rules of the network) how is that not fair?
legendary
Activity: 1884
Merit: 1005
Great to see the work doesnt stop! Wink
Activity: 617
Merit: 531
Feathercoin - The Miner Update - Hard Fork Block 87948

The latest Feathercoin version 0.6.4.4 is now available and is a mandatory update. This update includes a hard fork of the block chain to accommodate the changes made in this patch. This hard fork should happen roughly around the 1st October which is only a week away.  To be able to send and receive Feathercoin after block 87948 you have to use the new client. Continuing to use old clients after the hard fork could result in the loss of coins.

Primarily this update is to further the refine of the difficulty adjust. Though the current Feathercoin difficulty which we changed to get us out of a tough spot it is not fair for long term miners who have to experience 41.4% swings on every adjust. The new code will adjust four times more frequently at 126 blocks but to approximately 9% which still gives the exact same overall adjust. To prevent the difficulty from being sent up or down too rapidly the current 504 sample window is being maintained and damping is being introduced to reduce fluctuations between extremes.

There have been long running discussion and arguments on the Feathercoin forum including simulations of various different options surrounding this solution. Feel free to take a look at the latest discussion here.

To get the latest update please go to the Official Feathercoin Website and download the client from the homepage.

Official Feathercoin Website

Changelog:
Move to 126 difficulty adjust with 504 averaging window and .25 damping
Reduce effectivness of Time Warp attack
Reinstate CAlert system
Make getnetworkhashps more accurate
Release Windows binary with QR encode
Pages:
Jump to: