Pages:
Author

Topic: [Feature Request] Add ability to append "satoshi codes" to transactions. - page 2. (Read 1963 times)

donator
Activity: 1653
Merit: 1286
Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.
I thought I would make the suggestion here after seeing a post in the discussion forum: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/the-emoticons-of-bitcoins-satoshi-codes-37892

Basically, it would be great if the bitcoin client makes it easy for a user to append a "satoshi code" to a transaction. The extra amount will just be a 1-1000 satoshis, which is next to nothing in Today's value. These can be used for identification purposes. For example, if Meze Grill might ask their customer to include the order number in the transaction to help keep track of which order was paid. So if you ordered 2.03 btc worth a food, you might send them 2.03000087 btc for order #87.

The "satoshi code" can be added to either the output amount or the fee amount. I think the fee amount makes more sense, because it won't benefit the merchant (no matter how little) and it also won't screw up their accounting. And you can still send payments down to the satoshi amount with a transaction fee of 0.00500087.

I'm sure there are all sorts of other reasons that you may want to identify a transaction. And obviously if you want to use "satoshi codes" to convey your own personal message, you can to. What do you guys think?
Pages:
Jump to: