Pages:
Author

Topic: First steps to keep your cryptos safe. - page 2. (Read 345 times)

Activity: 128
Merit: 13
February 19, 2020, 08:39:17 AM
As everyone has already mentioned so many steps but still I will share some of my opinions-

• Don't keep your funds on the respective exchange if that particular exchange will hack then you will lose your money.
  • Try to keep your funds some trustable wallet which is operated by you.
  • Use some popular and trustable exchanges where you can do hassle free trading.

legendary
Activity: 2604
Merit: 2353
February 19, 2020, 05:07:53 AM
10. Avoid the use of public internet connection for important transactions.
I don't understand what you mean by that? The power of Bitcoin is to be able to work publicly unlike bank transactions.
There is no risk with transactions since you don't send your private key, so the amount of funds transferred doesn't matter.

I meant unsecured public internet connections. Those without password protection, anyone can see what the user is sending via internet.
No sniffers can only see what an IP/MAC address is sending. But as soon as you disconnect from the network this IP/MAC address doesn't identify you anymore and is useless. So if you didn't send unencrypted personal information through the network during the session(ie without https) your identity isn't compromised.That is to say sniffer will only get the datas you can find on the blockchain finally.
Activity: 2842
Merit: 625
February 19, 2020, 03:16:26 AM
I meant unsecured public internet connections. Those without password protection, anyone can see what the user is sending via internet.
I've seen a video on youtube and there are these people that are allowing people to connect to their free wifi connection. And this is what you meant right? those transactions that went through that connection of theirs, they managed to collect data including bank accounts.

And so with crypto, private keys, mnemonic phrases and so on, the most important ones and it's better not to access any of those important accounts when you're on a public area.
Activity: 2366
Merit: 793
Bitcoin = Financial freedom
February 19, 2020, 01:46:27 AM
If you want your cryptos to be safe, never store your wallet credentials in digital format by this you can avoid phishing attacks or whatever methods by anyone without accessing your device. If you want to keep them in digital then keep them in a Pendrive which is highly durable and connect to the system whenever needed without internet connections.
mk4
legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 3873
Paldo.io 🤖
February 19, 2020, 01:28:55 AM
Looks like it's what he actually meant. The 4th tips explicitly mentioned an update of the spreadsheet when there's a change in the profile.  It's basically a way of backing up sensitive information.

Using an open-source password manager is probably better than this.

If that's actually the case then that's the worst advice ever. The only was I'd suggest storing passwords is through password managers. I mean, spreadsheets aren't even encrypted by default. Passwords and plaintext shouldn't really go together in whatever case.
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1789
February 19, 2020, 12:58:08 AM
Can you expound more on what you actually mean by this? If you meant saving your login credentials on spreadsheets then that's definitely a big no.

Looks like it's what he actually meant. The 4th tips explicitly mentioned an update of the spreadsheet when there's a change in the profile.  It's basically a way of backing up sensitive information.

Using an open-source password manager is probably better than this.
mk4
legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 3873
Paldo.io 🤖
February 18, 2020, 11:40:43 PM
1. Use offline spreadsheets to register your accounts, use 1 raw for each account.

Can you expound more on what you actually mean by this? If you meant saving your login credentials on spreadsheets then that's definitely a big no.
legendary
Activity: 3024
Merit: 2148
February 18, 2020, 09:20:53 PM

Password protection isn't a guarantee that a public network is safe, the password can be weak or the owner might be malicious. What you should do instead is always check that the important sites that you visit have HTTPS enabled, and that their address is valid (use bookmarks instead of typing the address directly). HTTPS means that the communication between you and the site is encrypted, so third parties from the local network can't steal your data.
Activity: 1666
Merit: 267
Earn bitcoins every hour, link below at signature.
February 18, 2020, 08:55:36 PM
I don't understand what you mean by that? The power of Bitcoin is to be able to work publicly unlike bank transactions.
There is no risk with transactions since you don't send your private key, so the amount of funds transferred doesn't matter.

legendary
Activity: 2604
Merit: 2353
February 18, 2020, 08:46:38 PM
legendary
Activity: 3178
Merit: 1363
Slava Ukraini!
February 18, 2020, 07:47:38 PM
First of all, it's terrible idea to keep crypto on exchanges. It's not a wallet and you should keep not more than you can afford to lose. Newbies need to know that have to keep crypto on non-custodial wallet, where they have access to private keys and it's not controled by third party.
Hi,
Tips: always use a hardware wallet as a cold wallet.
Offcourse, it would be best option. But maybe we shouldn't expect that people who are just starting with crypto will rush to buy hardware wallets. For cold storage, properly made paper wallet is good enough for them.
Activity: 49
Merit: 11
February 18, 2020, 05:35:29 PM
Hi,
Tips: always use a hardware wallet as a cold wallet.
Activity: 1666
Merit: 267
Earn bitcoins every hour, link below at signature.
February 18, 2020, 05:31:22 PM
If you are new in bitcoin, here are some important steps in order to do transactions with security in mind.

First, you need to save all pieces of information about all your crypto transactions and remember that with crypto any amount you send it is not possible to get it back if it was sent to a wrong crypto address, better to send a small amount first.

Since you probably will use more than one exchange and create accounts on many places here are some steps to keep your info offline and private.

1. Use offline spreadsheets to register your accounts, only use with an offline device (Pc or other) not the best option, but you decide.
2. Use a different password for each account, you might try using password managers.
3. Backup your sensitive info (spreadsheets or better alternative) regularly offline with protected files.
4. When you need to modify profiles, also update your spreadsheets.
5. Keep your information in a single folder, so later you just update the same source.
6. Keep a copy of your protected backup in different safe locations.
7. If you are going to use USB memory flash use the ones with password protection.
8. It is preferable if you use hardware wallets to store your digital assets.
9. Use a private internet connection if possible (VPN).

This list could be bigger, these are just a few of them by now.
Pages:
Jump to: