Pages:
Author

Topic: FirstBits.com - remember and share Bitcoin addresses - page 10. (Read 26186 times)

legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014
Strength in numbers
AWESOME SITE WOW !  Grin

I get so happy when I see devs making useful sites like this one.

Donated to you! Hope others do as well.

Thanks! Glad you like it.

Making addresses shorter online is cool, but has anyone had a chance to use it in the real world? I've memorized a few of mine and now I'm just waiting for someone to offer me bitcoins on the street  Cool
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015
AWESOME SITE WOW !  Grin

I get so happy when I see devs making useful sites like this one.

Donated to you! Hope others do as well.
legendary
Strength in numbers
Feigned or not, I admit my statement wasn't very bright.

Haha, no problem. I appreciate the link in your sig.
legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029
Feigned or not, I admit my statement wasn't very bright.
legendary
Strength in numbers
Nothing is what we had before Smiley (besides parsing HTML—ouch).

Yeah, I was just feigning insult that you would consider it anywhere near "nothing". I guess you want firstbits.com/api/12345?
legendary
Nothing is what we had before Smiley (besides parsing HTML—ouch).
legendary
Strength in numbers
The api is up.

Somewhat longish, but better than nothing. Thanks!

Better than nothing, sheesh  Grin

legendary
The api is up.

Somewhat longish, but better than nothing. Thanks!
legendary
Strength in numbers
The api is up.

http://firstbits.com/api/?a=1kk5k

Can't promise it'll stay if it gets overused though, be gentle.
legendary
Strength in numbers
You're not storing the results anywhere, so using the same algorithm the exact same result for any given address could be obtained even with a machine that never went online and got the blockchain transfered via sneakernet? Awesome! Cheesy

Though, is there the risk the order of very recent addresses will be rearranged as the whole network acknowledges things from different directions or does that order gets stable fast enough for that only be a concern with major blockchain forks?

That's right.

A reorg could cause problems. Likely the problem would be a simple "not found" at worst, but if screwing up people's firstbits was the point of the attack someone could slip a different one in earlier. This is not protected against now. One way would be not counting an address as "in" the chain until 6 or 10 blocks or something and refusing to return an address until then, probably better is a simple warning that the address is near the tip of the chain. Or even less obtrusive would be to watch for a reorg and only warn when one recently happened.
legendary
Strength in numbers
Hi,
could you implement something like:
http://firstbits.com/1env4g

other than that great service, consider donating

This is implemented.

http://firstbits.com/1kk5k
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)
You're not storing the results anywhere, so using the same algorithm the exact same result for any given address could be obtained even with a machine that never went online and got the blockchain transfered via sneakernet? Awesome! Cheesy

Though, is there the risk the order of very recent addresses will be rearranged as the whole network acknowledges things from different directions or does that order gets stable fast enough for that only be a concern with major blockchain forks?
legendary
Just created my vanity firstbits address and came here to ask for that feature. I saw that it's a popular demand, then went to try it and found that it works! Smiley

If it returned a text/plain result containing only the address (instead of a full featured HTML page), it wouldn't be that difficult to integrate with the bitcoin client. Just an HTTP request and there you go! (I couldn't do it tho, my second language isn't C++).
Activity: 700
Merit: 250
Hi,
could you implement something like:
http://firstbits.com/1env4g

other than that great service, consider donating
legendary
Strength in numbers

A suggestion: make the decoded address a link to blockexplorer. Makes it easier to check that you got the right one.

Returned addresses now link to their blockexplorer page. You could add security by telling the payer the first block the address appeared in and having them check.
Activity: 323
Yeah, SgtSpike's reply was great, good points all around. I'm a true believer now Smiley
legendary
Strength in numbers
Another suggestion: I realize you want to keep it pure, but how about adding an extra character as a checksum? It's very easy for the payer to mess the address slightly by writing it down wrong or hearing something wrong. A one character checksum would drastically reduce the chances of sending money to the wrong account.

I did think about the checksum idea and like spike says we went with the option to add more digits from the address.

The main problem with checksums is that you can't make it optional because another address will show up that has the checksum digit as part of itself. Requiring our arbitrary checksum would hinder wider acceptance and I think. And you can get more typo protection than a checksum provides if you really want it by adding 3 or 4 characters.

I wouldn't give my firstbits to my grandmother over the phone, but if I had to I would give 3 extra chars.
legendary
Strength in numbers
This is great! Love it! Enough to suggest that it be built right into clients.

I'm glad you like it. I'm sure it won't be in the main client for a long time if ever.

But I heard Bitcoin is open source so maybe we can get someone to make the modification!
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
Another suggestion: I realize you want to keep it pure, but how about adding an extra character as a checksum? It's very easy for the payer to mess the address slightly by writing it down wrong or hearing something wrong. A one character checksum would drastically reduce the chances of sending money to the wrong account.
Adding an additional character of your firstbits address will accomplish the same thing (miniscule chance of a typo), but without ruining the purity.

Example:
One of my firstbits address:  18tkn
The same address, but more protected against typos:  18tknb
The same address, but VERY protected against typos:  18tknbs

Basically, once you own a firstbits address, you also own all of the firstbits addresses beyond the minimum chars necessary to uniquely define the address.  And each added character would add in typo protection just like a checksum would (it will probably be a long, long time before any address is created that is only one character off of 18tknbs).  It is then just up to the individual handing out the firstbits address how much "typo-resistance" they want to give their address, versus having it shorter and easier to remember.
Activity: 323
Pages:
Jump to: