Pages:
Author

Topic: FlexCoin used 2 FA and still got hacked!!!!! I'm out of this game - page 2. (Read 2248 times)

legendary
Activity: 1734
Merit: 1015
You do not own any bitcoins if you do not own teh private keys to them.
Activity: 47
Merit: 0
But that is the biggest issue. How do you defend the back end?

I use to have a website and in my control panel, if I wanted to log into the back end, they would ask for a user name and password. And that is all.

And my understanding is that a password is not needed to gain access. Technology is fucked and that's why bitcoin prices are going to be held down because of that fear.

legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1008
Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

2 factor authentication only stops people from logging in as you.  It doesn't mean the back end is secure (im not a developer or security guy so I may have worded that wrong).

Without getting into semantics about 'back end' definitions, you're exactly right.
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002
Then get out of this game until security is better. We are in the early stages of this new technology. Anybody involved now is an early adopter, meaning you can expect bumpy technology, inconveniences, and risk.

If you're not learning to secure your own coins properly then you risk losing them to somebody else's procedures.

Better security and more competent companies will rise in Bitcoin, but that takes time. A more normalized regulatory environment will free up entrepreneurs and venture capital for stronger businesses. That seems to be progressing too, but again all this takes time.
Activity: 924
Merit: 1001
FlexCoin was using 2 Factor authentication and it still got hacked!!!! Doesn't that scare you?

No.  If you have been paying much attention, you would know that 2 FA has never been fool proof.  People have still had coins taken.
2 factor authentication only stops people from logging in as you.  It doesn't mean the back end is secure (im not a developer or security guy so I may have worded that wrong).
Once again, this isn't new news.  2 FA is something everyone should have enabled as a basic precaution.
But nobody has ever claimed it was perfect.

The message is don't leave your coins online.  Period.  Until Bitcoins security infrastructure and best practices have been improved enough to provide reliable security.
You are the one who controls your coins.   Stay in control of your private key.  Period.

You haven't discovered anything new.  Sorry.

-B-
Activity: 47
Merit: 0
FlexCoin was using 2 Factor authentication and it still got hacked!!!! Doesn't that scare you?

Everyone here seems to think that with 2 FA, you are covered. But your not!!!!

I lost only 3.11 bitcoins so far from cryptsy but I was a fool to think that 2 FA could have protected me if I had it turned on.

The public is turning their heads away from Bitcoin if this keeps happening. See my article here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=469752.new#new
Pages:
Jump to: