Pages:
Author

Topic: Forum ads now blocked by AdBlock Plus EasyList - page 2. (Read 3496 times)

legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
If you just posted simple text based ads or ads that don't flash and annoy the fuck out of me then I wouldn't even need adblock, I actually quite like most Bitcoin sites because they seem to have gotten the idea.
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032
Let's see 'em block this. There's now a random number of invisible "posts" before and after the ad, and they're all (I think) indistinguishable from real posts if you're limited to just CSS selectors. Hopefully the filter maintainers aren't careless or they'll end up blocking random posts.
vip
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043
👻
It looks like Bitcoin Forum has annoyed the Temple of Adless's priests, who view it as their holy commitment to block bitcointalk ads. Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431
Fixed.
what do you mean by fixed? they are blocked as of last easylist update.
administrator
Fixed.
vip
👻
Bump, ads are now reblocked.
legendary
Activity: 3192
Merit: 1278
Primedice.com, Stake.com
Sorry theymos. I don't agree on being forced to see something, I think the users should have a decision.

If you disagree, remove this post. And hope you don't ban me for this.

Personally I think the ads are very reasonable. No more distracting than a signature. Anything that helps to keep the forums free and ensures longevity while being nothing more than minor disturbance is more than fair. When I think about it though I prefer to have the ads as they display some interesting businesses and often some cool quotes/tips.
Activity: 770
Merit: 502
I don't agree on being forced to see something

Is someone holding a gun to your head and making you look at the ads? Tongue I'm free to send you whatever data I want when you request a page, and you can interpret it however you want.

That's the great thing about freedom of speech. I'm glad you didn't ban me. Just let me know if I am treading in thin water with you.
administrator
I don't agree on being forced to see something

Is someone holding a gun to your head and making you look at the ads? Tongue I'm free to send you whatever data I want when you request a page, and you can interpret it however you want.
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011
Reverse engineer from time to time
I'm just playing devil's advocate.  I can understand using adblock for things that get in the way, but seems a little silly to use it here where the ads aren't big and flashy.
The ads are actually bearable here + the blazing fast loading times of the forum.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1004
Keep it real
I'm just playing devil's advocate.  I can understand using adblock for things that get in the way, but seems a little silly to use it here where the ads aren't big and flashy.
Activity: 882
Merit: 1005
But you're happy to use the service for free?  Ads are how you "pay" for using the forums.

What about all the the donator's and VIP members that pay up to $6,000 for a line of text?
Sorry theymos. I don't agree on being forced to see something, I think the users should have a decision.

But you're happy to use the service for free?  Ads are how you "pay" for using the forums.

So are you saying this is mandatory?

There won't ever be a mandatory fee. That would significantly reduce the forum population.

I like donation only, but more effort should be made to gather donations.  Maybe those most concerned should but a bitcointalk.org donation link in their signatures?

The forum is far from low on money. Donations are appreciated, but no one should feel obligated to donate.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1004
Keep it real

If you like to block them again, add

Code:
bitcointalk.org##.middletext[style="border:inherit; background-color: #E5E5E8; padding:1.5pt 5pt; text-align:center"]

to your addon.

If you disagree, remove this post. And hope you don't ban me for this.
vip
👻
Yeah, last October.

Inserting a space stopped the filter from applying, lol
administrator
Not anymore. Wink

They tried this once before with the same simple blocking method. I have a bunch of obfuscation techniques in mind if they try anything more fancy. It's much more difficult for them to block the forum's ads because they're 100% inline and not images.
vip
👻
Awesome, right after I bid for ad slots..
legendary
Activity: 4326
Merit: 3041
Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023
The latest version of the EasyList filter subscription for AdBlock Plus is blocking the ads on this forum. This is the filter in question:
Code:
bitcointalk.org##.middletext[style="border:inherit;background-color: #E5E5E8; padding:1.5pt 5pt; text-align:center"]

So if anyone using AdBlock Plus is wondering what happened to the ads, now you know. And knowing is half the battle. (The other half is disabling that filter because I don't think the ads here are that annoying.)
Pages:
Jump to: