Pages:
Author

Topic: FPGA Rig Photos - page 5. (Read 43753 times)

legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
June 06, 2012, 01:56:40 PM
My 6 Icarii in an Ikea Lack:

legendary
Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008
June 06, 2012, 01:34:56 PM
just wait, when i have me some fpga's i'm gonna make a REAL snazzy set up for em! with etched brass enclosures and and craved wooden frames and... *trails off*
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000
I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...
June 06, 2012, 01:05:33 PM
Oooohhh, Drool................ Grin
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
legendary
Activity: 1666
June 06, 2012, 11:39:23 AM
Now that is FPGA pr0n
donator
Activity: 362
June 06, 2012, 11:37:09 AM

Back on topic!   Grin
vip
Activity: 1358
AKA: gigavps
June 06, 2012, 10:35:02 AM
there are many options where you can start out with little money for instance:

You can get started with a back plane $99.99 and a single Spartan 6 plugin card (200mhash) for only $349.99

http://www.btcfpga.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=54

and you can add 1-3 additional Spartan 6 plugin cards when you are ready to upgrade

Thanks for turning this thread into your official marketing thread.  Roll Eyes
Activity: 896
Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!
June 05, 2012, 11:20:51 AM
 there are many options where you can start out with little money for instance:

You can get started with a back plane $99.99 and a single Spartan 6 plugin card (200mhash) for only $349.99

http://www.btcfpga.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=54

and you can add 1-3 additional Spartan 6 plugin cards when you are ready to upgrade

legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080
June 05, 2012, 10:50:09 AM
It's a pity it takes 11 months to pay off some of these fpga miners off.
legendary
June 05, 2012, 10:29:26 AM
the more i see pics like this, the more i am convinced of the successful generation of income from mining... pity it'll take me ages to save enough for an FPGA with my current (utterly crap) job and single 6870 GPU mining...

We offer a financing option at BTCFPGA.com - send an email through the web site to get started.

...will do.
Activity: 896
Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!
June 05, 2012, 09:42:45 AM
the more i see pics like this, the more i am convinced of the successful generation of income from mining... pity it'll take me ages to save enough for an FPGA with my current (utterly crap) job and single 6870 GPU mining...

We offer a financing option at BTCFPGA.com - send an email through the web site to get started.
legendary
June 05, 2012, 07:57:06 AM
Activity: 60
Merit: 10
June 05, 2012, 06:48:50 AM
I used hard drive mounting plates because they slide right out of case giving instant access to remove without interfering with rest of cluster. I will have to come up with something new and saucy for ztex quad boards, had really hoped the holes in pcb lined up with 120mm fan. Right now I am running 2x rev2 x6500 (one of the spartan cores has shit the bed so its just running the remaining 3 cores @ ~500Mh/s on a good day), 20 ztex singles, one BFL single, and an altera terrasic de2-115. Image below is my ztex cluster.

mrb
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027
June 05, 2012, 04:11:37 AM
fizzisist, the downtime is not such a big deal, but my time is very precious. Why spend 10 minutes disassembling and re-assembling a stack to swap 1 board, when you could do it in 30sec if the board was not in a stack? If you have a small work bench, I can understand why you like the space-saving advantages of stacks of boards. But I don't lack space. I lack time. I work very hard to automate everything and optimize my time as much as I can. I run a farm approaching 80 FPGAs. The difference between a task that takes 30 sec per FPGA, and 10 min per FPGA, is 13 hours of work. So every tiny bit I do to simplify the maintenance of my farm saves me tons of time.

I will post pictures of how I arrange my own boards soon...
Activity: 720
Merit: 525
June 05, 2012, 03:50:38 AM
My goal in designing an FPGA farm is to spend the less amount of time setting it up, and to make each part easily serviceable (fans, boards, cables). For example I don't understand at all the other guys stacking up boards with spacers screwed in. If they ever need to replace a board in the middle, they would have to shut the whole stack down, and to disassemble it (ugh!).

I suppose that's a good point. But, if a board needs to be replaced, is that 10 minutes of down time such a big deal? Those stack up designs actually build up incredibly fast. The X6500 testing system is done that way, and I have personally assembled and disassembled every X6500 out there in stacks like this, with at least one assembly/disassembly every day on average. Short of something where the boards simply snapped into place, this really seems not half bad. What other ways could you do it? I'm very curious for new ideas.
brand new
Activity: 0
June 04, 2012, 07:47:44 PM
Why are you not using the fan headers supplied on the boards?

What you should get are some right angle usb and coaxial power plugs, then you can make it like conduit and it will look so boss. Wink Wink Wink
Because it adds extra power draw from the board itself, and since Stefan himself cautioned about excess power draw ending up going through the USB ground, I'd rather feed the fans completely separately from the computing hardware.

I looked at right angle plugs but the cost over here is high. Could have done something ultra-elegant but there's a trade-off between getting the damn things making me money, and playing around trying to be Jonathan Ive. I'd control that rig off my Apple G4 Cube if I thought it was elegant enough Smiley It isn't, so it gets a cheap PC logic board instead Cheesy
mrb
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027
June 05, 2012, 01:59:18 AM
Could have done something ultra-elegant but there's a trade-off between getting the damn things making me money, and playing around trying to be Jonathan Ive.

Very true Smiley Parts of your effort have technical merit (eg. running fans on separate power rails), but the rest is eye-candy that I personally wouldn't want to spend time on (eg. making individual power switches for each FPGA). But congrats, it looks nice! At least, you enjoyed building it.

My goal in designing an FPGA farm is to spend the less amount of time setting it up, and to make each part easily serviceable (fans, boards, cables). For example I don't understand at all the other guys stacking up boards with spacers screwed in. If they ever need to replace a board in the middle, they would have to shut the whole stack down, and to disassemble it (ugh!).
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001
I'd fight Gandhi.
June 04, 2012, 10:12:16 PM
stop making me want to buy things i can't afford, Cablepair!
This
brand new
Activity: 0
June 04, 2012, 07:36:34 PM
Snip...

That is just sexy sexy sexy there catfish. I love the large setup, it is just so clean.
Cheeers Smiley Tidiness was the main aim with the build... with each board requiring a power cable, a USB cable, and a length of three-wire fan cable, it's too easy to end up with a mess. I'd space the boards out a bit more next time though, since the USB cables in particular have to be forced into unpleasant tight bends. I've got plenty of ideas to make the basic 'rail' idea work more efficiently and with less soldering... but not enough cash to buy any more FPGAs Sad
legendary
June 04, 2012, 10:04:11 PM
stop making me want to buy things i can't afford, Cablepair!
Pages:
Jump to: