Pages:
Author

Topic: Fractional reserve bitcoin - page 2. (Read 1914 times)

Activity: 50
Merit: 0
January 30, 2015, 07:54:35 PM
Stupid idea huh? Well its happening, right now there could be hundreds of thousands of fake bitcoin changing hands. How can this happen, doesn't the blockchain make this impossible? Yes but they're not changing hands on the blockchain, they're being traded on the exchanges with no form of verification whatsoever, even the existence of those coins on the exchanges isn't verifiable. Would you sell me something if I all I did was say I had the coins to pay for it and you could claim them any time you liked? Thousands did just that with Gox and got burned.

Audits are a step in the right direction but the last audits where months ago, there's some exceptions but there shouldn't even be a need for them, trades should be settled every block into user controlled multisig wallets with timelocks in case of failure. The need for trust is eliminated with Bitcoin but the exchanges aren't operating that way, they expect users to trust them and everywhere that's happened throughout history its been abused.

This will probably be the future of bitcoin soon enough
Activity: 875
Merit: 1003
January 30, 2015, 07:01:41 PM
I could see this becoming an issue with exchanges who don't publicly prove their solvency.

I keep myself safe by not holding any btc in an exchange. If you're not a trader then get your btc off the exchange as soon as possible always! Then you're safe.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011
January 30, 2015, 02:43:32 PM
good for owner of bitcoin ... the exact author of fractional reserve of bitcoin (or other named : leverage at 10-25x) ... will be faill like mt gox or other stealed exchange.

or other named : the 0% fee trading exchange.

well, it's the game, too.
don't blame the bitcoin when 83% of the actor on the FOREX system loose all money ...  Grin
legendary
Activity: 994
Merit: 1034
January 30, 2015, 01:33:19 PM
Audits aren't good enough, and exchanges can and do manipulate the market. We need more decentralized exchanges with cashouts at atms like the darkwallet team has done.
legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1049
January 30, 2015, 01:23:07 PM
This can only happen if exchanges sell their own IOU as Bitcoin.
Activity: 317
Merit: 1012
January 30, 2015, 01:19:29 PM
Pages:
Jump to: