Pages:
Author

Topic: Free speech is free data; free data is free speech. - page 4. (Read 4480 times)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500
No it is a principle. Some work benefits society but requires a large investment. If there is no way to recover the investment because you dont own a damn thing after having successfully invested, and everyone can copy your work and reap the benefits,  those investments wont happen. How is that good for society?

Either you solve this with IP, or you let a government do the investment and publish the results free of IP. I dont see a third way.
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
Let me ask you this. If I spent a billion dollars engineering and developing artistic manure hills, should I force you to compensate me for my effort?

Force me? no of course not. Whats that got to do with anything?
now you answer my question; who will be willing to invest billions of $'s on R&D to develop new medicine if anyone can just copy the formula after you've found some new miracle drug ?

Why should I respond to a non-sequitur? You're not talking principle you're talking price. It's not the same.

EDIT: Do you respect private property?
Let me ask you this. If I spent a billion dollars engineering and developing artistic manure hills, should I force you to compensate me for my effort?

Force me? no of course not. Whats that got to do with anything?
now you answer my question; who will be willing to invest billions of $'s on R&D to develop new medicine if anyone can just copy the formula after you've found some new miracle drug ?
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
if you want to have ownership of idea/music/copiable KEEP IT TO YOURSELF IN YOUR HEAD.

So, you think, for instance writers should all get a day job and write books for free as a gift to society?
The same for patent laws; for sure they are widely abused now and something should be done about that, but the basic concept that you can protect what is potentially a life long investment in to some invention makes perfect sense to me. Who is going to spend billions developing new drugs if they cant be patented? The government?
Exactly this.  Without protection for people who create IP, there will be no "good" IP.  Music can only be created so well on a volunteer basis.  Movies produced on a shoestring budget (because no one pays for IP anymore) will look like movies produced on a shoestring budget.  No pharmaceutical companies will spend money on drug research, because the moment their "formula" was released into the wild, anyone could make it, and they'd effectively lose however many hundreds of millions spent on researching the drugs.  No companies will innovate with new products, because their competitors could simply steal the design and sell it for less.

If your goal is to kill all innovation and creative works on the planet, except that which is created in someone's garage or as their hobby, then sure, go ahead and abolish protection of IP.
if you want to have ownership of idea/music/copiable KEEP IT TO YOURSELF IN YOUR HEAD.

So, you think, for instance writers should all get a day job and write books for free as a gift to society?
The same for patent laws; for sure they are widely abused now and something should be done about that, but the basic concept that you can protect what is potentially a life long investment in to some invention makes perfect sense to me. Who is going to spend billions developing new drugs if they cant be patented? The government?

Where did anybody get their ideas from? Everything you've ever learned or used, you gained from others or from the observation of physical deterministic matter present in nature. Every thing you've ever done has, and will always be, a derivative of the raw materials others used before you. Do they own you too because they composed it first? If that's the case, then whoever was the first proto-man capable of putting two thoughts together could subjugte the entire world to his whims because he was first to think it. Imagine...

Let me ask you this. If I spent a billion dollars engineering and developing artistic manure hills, should I force you to compensate me for my effort? You're talking price not principle. That will take you nowhere fast.

You can't have private property and not have private property at the same time. Physical property and Intellectual property are two incompatible concepts. Mere compositional similarity and mimicry is not theft. If you want to create some type of psuedo intellectual property equivalent, you would need to contract for it. Neither can you legally force a specific type of contract either, as that would violate the concept of mutual consent.

Let freedom reign. Pretty please???

legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
You are WRONG!
I will agree piracy is not the same as theft; I think anyone here will agree sopa is a horrible idea. But that doesnt mean its even a remotely sane idea to abolish intellectual property all together.
why not?
its an absurd thing to have ownership of an idea, and actually to think of an idea as your property.

I will agree piracy is not the same as theft; I think anyone here will agree sopa is a horrible idea. But that doesnt mean its even a remotely sane idea to abolish intellectual property all together.
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!
im with FredericBastiat, piracy should be legal.
and IP should not be allowed or enforced.

That's the only logical, consistent position.

Either your property rights are absolute, and only physical things can be property; or the concept of property is rightly arbitrary and subject to bureaucratic whims. I think it can be shown that any situation that doesn't fall into the former case falls into the latter.
legendary
Activity: 1050
You are WRONG!
im with FredericBastiat, piracy should be legal.
and IP should not be allowed or enforced.
But stealing data that the author didn't intend you to have isn't free speech.

I don't agree with SOPA, but piracy is stupid too.

You can't steal data, you can only steal physical things. If I have a pattern or composition of matter that matches yours that's on my property, are you going to violate my property? Remember you still have your pattern and/or composition contained on your property. You're abusing the definition of piracy. You know, the kind where you're on the high seas, stealing gold, food, starting wars, etc.

Free speech is free speech, or it isn't free speech. We've been down this road before. You want a monopoly on certain types of speech. Let the flame war begin.

Let it be known however, that while you may have the law on your side, I have consistency of logic.

Bring it.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
But stealing data that the author didn't intend you to have isn't free speech.

I don't agree with SOPA, but piracy is stupid too.
donator
Activity: 853
It had to be said.

F*ck SOPA
Pages:
Jump to: