Pages:
Author

Topic: Free unlimited electricity... where to start? - page 3. (Read 4924 times)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0
Thanks guys, some interesting ideas! Some of them I don't quite understand but i've got a good idea.

Ok I'll clear up a few things.

For quite some time now 've been renting a office within a bigger office (basically lots of studios) which is linked to over a hundred other studios, it's only just hit me I could be using this spare power for mining. These studios are all meant to be powered but your lucky if 70% really use that power (they are used for offline purposes, art etc.) Some studios use big power as they have lazer machines, huge format printers and other heavy machinary. But majority are all offline (no or small usage of power)

You only pay rent, you don't pay any electricity etc. I know some of their power is obtained via solar/wind and on grid.

I have 7 240 volt sockets available (typical UK spec) not sure on how much power they can handle but quick google reseach will probably give me the answer.

So these sockets are there with power available but not being used.

I realisticly don't want to spend any more money (because I'm in the middle of starting up a company and it's all going to that) I wanted to see what I could use my existing rig to make a little bit of overnight cash mining.

My friend has a huge rig down south (in newcastle) and I know he's been having power problems. So when I told him about this yesterday he almost cried as he's already sold half of his rig. He would have sent the whole lot up to my office lol. he has left ready for ebay 6x 280x and 4 x 1000watt corsair psu's with all riser cables and 2 psu splitters.

Hosting sounds good, I have the power there but not the rig I suppose.

Oh I just read  the last comment on the last post.

I have full public liability insurance and contents insurance. Hosting other miners wouldn't be a problem.
DrG
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035
Free electricity only deals with one main issue - the maintenance cost of mining.

You would also need free space if you want to capitlize on the free power

You would need capitol to build a structure to run the miners - most homes can't handle more than a few miners

If you really want to make money you would host other people's miners but then you would need to have insurance

If you don't want to do all that, go read up on the alt coins and start mining those with your 5700s and realize how little GPUs make nowadays.

Simply put without throwing money into SHA-256 ASICs you won't be making much BTC.
Activity: 87
Merit: 10
Hi Folks

My first post in the forums so nice to meet you guys! I stay in Edinburgh, Scotland Smiley

I tried the search function but couldn't really find anything on it.

As the title says I have free unlimited electricity. I would like to start mining bit coins but my knowledge isn't all that great. I know the market is pretty saturated so solo mining will pretty much get you no where so mining in a pool is your best shot. Apart from that my knowledge starts to run a little dry.

I have an alienware Aurora R3, it has 6Gb Ram, i7 processor overclocked from 2.67ghz to 3.2ghz with 8 cores.  2 ATI HD5700 graphics cards crossfired.

Where do I start?

Any advice is greatly appreciated folks Smiley

Thanks

Assuming you actually have unlimited free power (an idiotic assumption), you should probably look to get professionally funded, since your farm will vastly outperform, well, every other farm, ever.  I'd kill to be involved in an operation with no power costs.

Jokes aside... Look into X11 as others have said.  http://coinking.io/register.php?r=10351 is a great pool for X11, it'll switch you to the most profitable X11 coin, then auto convert that to Bitcoin, or you can just diversify into some altcoins.  

edit: just realized you're on ATI GPU's, not sure what's the best software for that nowadays.

Activity: 784
Merit: 500
Then, you could exchange LTC for BTC.

I wouldn't even go into LTC at this point; there are more profitable scrypt coins out there (some more stable, some massively unstable).
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
So with my rig it wouldn't be worth getting into mining at all (unless upgrading/buying new equipment?)

It's too late for GPU mining now.

You can try with altcoins, as it will be more profitable.

Then, you could exchange LTC for BTC.
Activity: 784
Merit: 500
Having free power, you're very lucky. Once you establish some trust, you can get  into both running your own miners (by purchasing ASICs and supporting equipment), and hosting miners for others (assuming you can troubleshoot, have a stable internet connection, etc). I'd definitely read over the requirements and manuals for equipment before ordering where possible, and practice dealing with crypto coins by mining some X11 coins on your computer directly.
legendary
Activity: 4242
Merit: 8515
'The right to privacy matters'
okay  free unlimited power?  your statement not mine.

How much power?   1 k-watt an hour   or 10 kwatts an hour or more.

I ask  for a simple reason  1k-watt an hour will run 1x  1000gh dragon miner.  more or less close enough.

so below is what it earns if power is about 2 usd a month  and if I give it to you for free.  (cost is about 1800-2000 usd)

it earns 2142 usd.  so don't buy any gear for your self none.  

just rent your power to someone ie host.  there is some money in hosting.

legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1024
Mine at Jonny's Pool
So with my rig it wouldn't be worth getting into mining at all (unless upgrading/buying new equipment?)
Your rig would be useless to mine BTC.  Some of the alt coins would be a better fit (DarkCoin for example).  If you want to mine BTC your best bet is to purchase ASIC hardware like the Antminer S1 as a beginner unit.
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
I advise if you start mining altcoins to understand everything about mining, profits and so on.

Then, you can move to bitcoins.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003
Designer - Developer
First off.. Unless you are mining x11 algo shitcoins that rig isn't good for mining at all..

If you want to mine BTC.. Look into Bitmains S1 and S2.
Hi Folks

My first post in the forums so nice to meet you guys! I stay in Edinburgh, Scotland Smiley

I tried the search function but couldn't really find anything on it.

As the title says I have free unlimited electricity. I would like to start mining bit coins but my knowledge isn't all that great. I know the market is pretty saturated so solo mining will pretty much get you no where so mining in a pool is your best shot. Apart from that my knowledge starts to run a little dry.

I have an alienware Aurora R3, it has 6Gb Ram, i7 processor overclocked from 2.67ghz to 3.2ghz with 8 cores.  2 ATI HD5700 graphics cards crossfired.

Where do I start?

Any advice is greatly appreciated folks Smiley

Thanks
Pages:
Jump to: