Pages:
Author

Topic: [FS] Bracket to mount 7 GPUs at front of Rosewill L4XXX server chassis - Updated - page 2. (Read 14208 times)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0
Rich,

Any possible update to the tray or additional mod to add a server PSU?
Activity: 305
Merit: 148
Theranos Coin - IoT + micro-blood arrays = Moon!
This bracket is now at its fourth generation.  The latest update was made in order to support USB riser boards of various widths.  For those that have been watching this bracket evolve, version 4 is a blend of version 2 (USB risers mounted to slotted extrusion) and version 3 (GPUs sit as low as possible in the case).

Think I've ordered v2.0 and v3.0.  If you are thinking of doing a build inside a 4U case such as the Rosewill L-4500, you definitely want to get this bracket.  It holds the fans, GPUs, and risers in a very clever way.

This is a great add in to a Rosewill case (or other 4U case).
Activity: 512
Merit: 250
This bracket is now at its fourth generation.  The latest update was made in order to support USB riser boards of various widths.  For those that have been watching this bracket evolve, version 4 is a blend of version 2 (USB risers mounted to slotted extrusion) and version 3 (GPUs sit as low as possible in the case).

Now that USB risers come in varying widths, I've updated the design to use slotted extrusion for the riser support beams.  The slotted extrusion still allows the GPUs to be mounted in the case as low as possible and now at any distance apart.

Activity: 6
Love this setup!  I only have 6 cards in mine right now, need to upgrade my motherboard.  Any others on here have suggestions for the fan controller?  I want a cleaner setup then this.  Thinking a HUB with pwm?  If anyone has recomendations I'd love to hear what you guys are doing with the fans!

https://i.imgur.com/ujZvTkz.jpg

Activity: 367
Merit: 34
are you still making this bracket? I might be interested in buying one.

I have an RSV-L4500 case that I've currently modded to fit 8 GPUs. I did not use any extra parts except what came with the case. I've oriented the cards to be facing forward, with fan airflow front to back as is intended. I think I'm looking for a more secure and clean solution for my second build though, which is why I'm considering this. my cards kinda just hang there lol but it works

i removed the support beam, and moved it more forward. GPU's are just zip tied here
i removed the center fan wall and moved it back behind the beam.
i replaced all the fans with Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000rpm fans, removed the rear 80mm fans completely
even with 8 GPUs, its easy to keep card temps between 65-70C with only 40-60% 

makes for a very tight fit with a full size ATX MB, and long-ish PSU, but i got it working. it works better when you have one of those narrow PCB motherboards like the Asrock H97 Anniversary. but i digress.

Even with your bracket facing the GPU's the other way, I would recommend still blowing airflow front to back (but only if you dont have a blower style card, other multi fan units will vent in all directions, not just back), with the center fanwall added back in for more airflow. it's just 4 holes to drill and
finally got it assembled and installed (it took me a few days since apparently I'm stupid and I tend to overtthink things - HOWEVER, I did assemble both of them even though I only have 1 case currently, so I didn't have to overthink it once i order my other case!) 

I did have a question though - it seems with just a couple more pieces of aluminum you could  put that mid row of fans back in the case - it seems to fit, but there isn't anything to bolt it too unless you were brave enough to just drill a couple holes in the side of the case (which I'm not brave enough to do just yet) and ....I'm no engineer - but I assume you are - would it be detrimental or beneficial to install that middle row of fans?

If the middle fans can fit with your GPUs, then go for it.

Activity: 2
finally got it assembled and installed (it took me a few days since apparently I'm stupid and I tend to overtthink things - HOWEVER, I did assemble both of them even though I only have 1 case currently, so I didn't have to overthink it once i order my other case!) 

I did have a question though - it seems with just a couple more pieces of aluminum you could  put that mid row of fans back in the case - it seems to fit, but there isn't anything to bolt it too unless you were brave enough to just drill a couple holes in the side of the case (which I'm not brave enough to do just yet) and ....I'm no engineer - but I assume you are - would it be detrimental or beneficial to install that middle row of fans?

Is the irony completely lost on you that you're requesting paypal only for something someone would use to mine cryptocurrencies?

Nope. I get it.  Accepting only PayPal helps keep me sane (in these insanely busy times).   Grin
Activity: 3

This is a "drop-in" bracket (requires zero modifications to the case) to mount 7x GPUs and 3x 120mm fans at the front of deep (25-inch) Rosewill server cases.

Features include:

As of November 2017, the lead time is only 2-3 business days.

$60, plus shipping from Washington state (1-2 fit in a medium size flat rate box).  PayPal only.

http://www.spotswoodcomputercases.com/images/servercases/dropinframe/front/v3/Drop-in%20bracket%20v3.png

http://www.spotswoodcomputercases.com/images/servercases/dropinframe/front/v3/Completed%20assembly.png

http://www.spotswoodcomputercases.com/images/mining/dropingpubracket/DSC_0699.png

Updated assembly manual (version 3)

Is the irony completely lost on you that you're requesting paypal only for something someone would use to mine cryptocurrencies?
15% off!! (Now through Nov. 27th. Limit 4x).

Spent a ton of time this evening doing research and was sold on this case thanks to this video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEsev9vTeHI I also live in WA state. Came here asking for order instructions and looks like the order instructions are here: http://spotswoodcomputercases.com/wp/?page_id=1275
Either send me a PM or an email to the address listed on that link.
Activity: 1

Spent a ton of time this evening doing research and was sold on this case thanks to this video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEsev9vTeHI I also live in WA state. Came here asking for order instructions and looks like the order instructions are here: http://spotswoodcomputercases.com/wp/?page_id=1275
Activity: 2
2 please!!!!
How do we start this transaction 😊

Do you ship to Australia?

If so, how much is shipping?

Thanks

Thanks
Yes.  PM sent.
Activity: 88
Merit: 10

Thanks
I've updated the OP for version number 3. 
I've updated the design to get the GPUs mounted as low as possible, to where the bottoms of the GPU mounting brackets rest on the floor of the case.  

Risers are now bolted to some flat bar...

...and then the entire sub-assembly is inserted into the inside slots of the bottom extrusions.   Cool

This latest version will start to ship next week now shipping.  Previous models can be upgraded.
Activity: 952
Merit: 508
bump

Since you're going to bump it. (don't bump stuff, ever. bad etiquette on forums)

I'm going to have to give a full review.

I put one of these together with a Rosewill 4500.

I would NOT recommend this to anyone.

First of all, you have to take the entire 4500 case apart. You have to take all the fans out of it. You have to take the HDD racks out. You even have to take the frame and handles for the side of the case off so you can get the fan brackets out. You also need to take the middle row of fans out because there probably isn't enough space for your cables/cards... and this middle row is to help airflow through the case... so this leads to issues later on.

You need to have your expensive high cfm 120 mm case fans at this point as well because you have to put them back into the case in a way that you cannot get to them to take them out later. Without taking the entire thing apart. I didn't realize they were going to be put back in a way that they were mounted to the GPU brackets... so you have to take the entire GPU bracket out if you later want to replace fans.  I just wanted to try it with the original fans first. I wanted to see how many high-end fans I'd need to buy.

Second of all, I'm a small guy with small hands. Your mounting brackets are made for people with even tinier hands. They are very difficult to put together with the tiny nuts and bolts. If you have large hands you'll need to hire your kids to put it together for you.

Third, although you put together a step by step guide and label all your parts nicely, it is still complicated to put together. My results didn't match your photos and based on my video cards (1070s) I was barely able to fit them. Also, you have a guide on putting your bracket together... not on how to take apart the Rosewill. I found that took me time to try and figure out exactly what all I had to remove. I didn't expect to have to remove the handles from the side to get to a bolt that held in a fan bracket at the front of the case.

Fourth, there is no way you're going to get large cards into this thing. You will want cards that have the PCIe power connector in the back, not the top.My 1070s barely fit and with the 8 pin connector being on the top of my card it would be impossible to get the case closed. The PCIe cable running to the GPUs sticks up out of the top of the case. I'd never be able to put the lid back on.

Fifth, cable management is a bitch. You really need special cables just for this case. Otherwise, you have cables that are too long and even if you wrap them all up nicely you still have a lot of bulky cables blocking the already limited airflow in the case. Really the only solution is a server PSU with several different sizes of PCIe cables and 6pin PCIe risers. (Of course, the case itself isn't designed for use with server PSUs.)

Sixth, at the price, why would anyone buy one of these? $200 for a 4500 case. $70 for the Spotswood bracket. $60 for fans. You're looking at over $300 for a case that you can't keep the lid on so it isn't as stackable and nice... I literally don't understand why anyone would want these. I can buy a 12 GPU rack mount for open-air mining for the same money.

Summary:
These cases are a time waste. They are also expensive. Since time is money they're even more expensive.  You can't use them as rackmount cases since you need to keep the lid off, so what is the point?  

This isn't necessarily a slam on Rich and Spotswood.  I wouldn't be able to use the 4500 case without the Spotswood rack.  He can't predict what sizes our video cards are, etc.  It's more a matter of the limitations of the case and the huge time suck that putting this together is.

In my opinion, the 4500 case is for a hobbyist that wants to try a build. It isn't for anyone building mining rigs at scale.

It all depends on what type of case you want or need for a space. I own 4 of these kits and while there are some drawbacks and cable management is difficult, they do work. As indicated you do need better fans than what it comes with.

For the space I had, 4 of these work perfectly and I didn't have the room for 4 open air rigs.

The fans can be removed while the rig is assembled, it's just not easy and you will need to be patient to line up the nuts to reinstall them but I've had to do it many times while dealing with rig issues.

The largest card I would recommend for this rig is the MSI 480/580 or the EVGA 10x0 SC series. I have both.

The ideal card for this rig imo is any of the Zotac mini cards or reference blower style cards.

Now when I bought my kits, there was really no other options but now that there are some options out there in this category, I will say this setup is still more cost effective if you pickup the 4500 on sale for $100 each as I did.
Pages:
Jump to: