Pages:
Author

Topic: Full node reward - request - page 3. (Read 5329 times)

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1073
August 07, 2014, 05:43:57 AM
Unfortunately the "good feeling" do not pay the bills.  Wink

The donation is a great idea, it's just the "proof of storage" part that would get tricky and to get people to appreciate the effort, of other doing it, for them.

But you could get a generated list on say "Blockchain" and people could be encouraged to participate, by having a monthly "Lottery" where a portion of the donations, goes towards a single pot, and you get people winning that "pot" each month.

Just a thought.  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004
August 06, 2014, 06:26:22 PM
I think the good feeling you get when running a full node is enough. Supporting the network in order to allow bitcoin to happen in the first place!

Activity: 154
Merit: 100
August 06, 2014, 06:23:38 PM
Perhaps nodes could have an optional donation address config option. You could connect to a node and ask for its donation address. People who want to donate to nodes would have a piece of software that monitors a node or number of nodes uptime and if it is satisfactory it will request their donation addresses and send a donation.

Wouldn't be too difficult to implement, though I'm not sure how many people would be willing to donate.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
August 06, 2014, 06:18:26 PM
At a protocol level, no. Not in bitcoin. Even if you can think of a scheme that would make it possible, putting it in the protocol would completely change bitcoin and will never happen. Maybe someone could make an altcoin that implements it.

What could be possible (I don't know if it is, or how) would be a way to prove an address is associated with a full node. Then people could chose donate to one of those addresses with knowledge that the owner is running a full node.

Believe me, I wish it was possible. I run a full node, and I'd love to be paid for it. But I can't prove that I run a full node of course.
legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1072
Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer
August 06, 2014, 07:37:53 AM
I would guess the biggest problem you'd face with such an idea is "just how do you determine that someone has a full node"?

This would not be a trivial thing to do as presumably it would require some sort of separate consensus algorithm (i.e. a "proof of storage" type idea).
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1073
August 06, 2014, 07:32:11 AM
Is there any way a reward for people who run a FULL node, could be incorporated into the BTC protocol?

Many people do not want to download 25Gb to enable them to run a local FULL node.

They could fund this reward, through a fraction of the miners fees, towards people who are running a FULL node. In this way more people would be encouraged to do this, and it would secure the
decentralization of the BTC currency.

Most people today, run no node and use online wallet services to access the blockchain. {If this trend continue, decentralization would become less}

Otherwise, some sort of preference could be given to users running FULL nodes, when it comes to transaction. {But it will become too complex then, to query if someone is running a FULL node, to determine if preference should be granted, and it would put addisional overhead on the protocol, which will decrease overall speed}

Is this in any way feesable? or not a threat that needs urgent attention?  Huh
Pages:
Jump to: