Pages:
Author

Topic: Future of money panel discussion: Virtual Currencies - page 2. (Read 2827 times)

legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000
Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem
The video didn't cover some of the more advanced features like escrow -- I only recently learnt about escrow myself. Is anyone providing such services with Bitcoin already? Basically I can envisage an on-line market along the lines of Gumtree or Ebay, except that buyers and sellers can negotiate special terms based on things like trust, rankings, and transaction size.

For example: sellers try to attract wary buyers by accepting a flexible X% payment in good faith, and X% in escrow, unlocked on delivery.

For expensive items, the market operator (or Bitcoin??) could provide a two-way escrow system, whereby both the buyer and seller set aside some funds, so that both sides are motivated to be honest. Imagine going on-line, paying a fully refundable deposit in Bitcoin on a piece of jewellery/car, meeting the seller in public, taking the item back with you, and then paying the remainder on-line!

Many Bitcoin Escrow companies exist, and I even talked about it at the end of the panel
Activity: 775
The video didn't cover some of the more advanced features like escrow -- I only recently learnt about escrow myself. Is anyone providing such services with Bitcoin already? Basically I can envisage an on-line market along the lines of Gumtree or Ebay, except that buyers and sellers can negotiate special terms based on things like trust, rankings, and transaction size.

For example: sellers try to attract wary buyers by accepting a flexible X% payment in good faith, and X% in escrow, unlocked on delivery.

For expensive items, the market operator (or Bitcoin??) could provide a two-way escrow system, whereby both the buyer and seller set aside some funds, so that both sides are motivated to be honest. Imagine going on-line, paying a fully refundable deposit in Bitcoin on a piece of jewellery/car, meeting the seller in public, taking the item back with you, and then paying the remainder on-line!
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021
Democracy is the original 51% attack
That talk was roughly 50% about Bitcoin. THAT is how a virtual currency panel should be done!
legendary
Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem
This is GREAT!

legendary
Merit: 1002
Also just found the panel discussion with Charlie Shrem[BitInstant] and Jered Kenna[TradeHill]:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poSouQFcb0Q

Virtual Currencies panel @Future of Money & Tech Conference w Jered Kenna, Bitcoin & Philip Rosedale, Coffee & Power & Charlie Shrem, Bitinstant.com & Rebecca Watson, RadiumOne with Eric Chan, Embee Mobile moderator. Video credit to Silvia Matheus
Pages:
Jump to: