Pages:
Author

Topic: GABI-a watershed event in institutional BTC investment - page 2. (Read 2919 times)

legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070
Well, they could like start by purchasing like 1000 coins a day, split into several small bunches whenever we hit a reasonable wall so they can accumulate a bunch with reasonable slippage. I bet that would not make gigantic waves to the point of causing panic buys for some time, and they could accumulate a fair amount of the money supply before poeple start noticing.

Really? 200 million in buys secretly unnoticed? Hmmm. Ok.
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
Well, they could like start by purchasing like 1000 coins a day, split into several small bunches whenever we hit a reasonable wall so they can accumulate a bunch with reasonable slippage. I bet that would not make gigantic waves to the point of causing panic buys for some time, and they could accumulate a fair amount of the money supply before poeple start noticing.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
WTF $200M THATS LIKE 5 TIMES THE BITCOIN ON ANY EXCHANGE AT ANY PRICE

Forgive my ignorance, but how will this affect the price?  Do they already have coins for the fund? Are they planning on purchasing coins for this fund? How will $200M be used?

They'll buy it, just like SecondMarket did.

The Winklevoss ETF has 200k btc already, so after they cover that with investments, they will buy too.

Do we have any idea how many coins they are starting with and where they will buy them?  I am sure that they will try to buy them off the exchanges but with SecondMarket and other funds opening soon it will get harder to do so I would imagine.  Supply and demand should really come into play very soon here!

Yeah, there is no off exchange supply big enough for 200 million. Much less the potential cumulative effect of these types of funds.

I would think knowing this is coming should cause some panic buys right about now.  Perhaps this is what triggered the 2000 BTC buy this morning? Seems like a good time to pick up as many coins as possible anyways.  Wink
legendary

Forgive my ignorance, but how will this affect the price?  Do they already have coins for the fund? Are they planning on purchasing coins for this fund? How will $200M be used?

The Winklevoss ETF has 200k btc already, so after they cover that with investments, they will buy too.

Do we have any idea how many coins they are starting with and where they will buy them?  I am sure that they will try to buy them off the exchanges but with SecondMarket and other funds opening soon it will get harder to do so I would imagine.  Supply and demand should really come into play very soon here!

Yeah, there is no off exchange supply big enough for 200 million. Much less the potential cumulative effect of these types of funds.

legendary

legendary

Forgive my ignorance, but how will this affect the price?  Do they already have coins for the fund? Are they planning on purchasing coins for this fund? How will $200M be used?

legendary

Forgive my ignorance, but how will this affect the price?  Do they already have coins for the fund? Are they planning on purchasing coins for this fund? How will $200M be used?

Activity: 448
Activity: 784
Do we any estimates on incoming investments into this fund?

Looks like $200M to start:

Masters, the former spouse of another commodities kingpin—JPMorgan Chase’s recently departed global head of commodities, Blythe Masters—says the Jersey Bitcoin fund will target up to $200 million in Bitcoin investments in the first six months to a year and ramp up from there.

I like Daniel Masters, the guy running this fund, from what I read in the article. He seems genuinely enthusiastic about the technology:

Masters—who tells Newsweek he now uses Bitcoin so habitually that “I don’t even want to say how much I carry around on my phone, probably too much”—is a long-term Bitcoin bull, dismissing Wall Street contemporaries who shun the currency as unstable and fly by night.

“Despite all the advances in technology we’ve seen over the last couple decades, we basically have had no change to the way we bank or do transactions. It’s the same thing, only they’ve put it online. If I want to wire money from London to Beijing, I still get charged an outrageous amount of money for it, and it takes days. Meanwhile, where the f*** is my money?”
legendary
GABI is a regulated OFFSHORE hedge fund for institutions approved to trade in BTC-first of the sort.
Why it is appealing to institutional investors such as pension funds and insurance companies?
Because the island of Jersey has NO cap gains tax.
The fund will start on Aug 1
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-jersey-28247796
http://www.newsweek.com/ex-jp-morgan-trader-joins-bitcoin-bulls-launching-hedge-funds-258494

I expect accumulation during Aug, then the rocket launch a la GLD

Do we any estimates on incoming investments into this fund?
Activity: 336
 Shocked this could be big...
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 3848
GABI is a regulated OFFSHORE hedge fund for institutions approved to trade in BTC-first of the sort.
Why it is appealing to institutional investors such as pension funds and insurance companies?
Because the island of Jersey has NO cap gains tax.
The fund will start on Aug 1
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-jersey-28247796
http://www.newsweek.com/ex-jp-morgan-trader-joins-bitcoin-bulls-launching-hedge-funds-258494

I expect accumulation during Aug, then the rocket launch a la GLD
Pages:
Jump to: