Pages:
Author

Topic: Gary Gensler: "Bitcoin is not that decentralized" - page 2. (Read 1105 times)

Activity: 1890
Merit: 322
I believe Bitcoin's decentralization is a perspective thing, cause of its arguments and counterarguments. It's not static, it's kind of a dimensional discussion affected by various factors. If Gary Gensler thinks Bitcoin isn't decentralized anymore, then that's his opinion. There are lots of people out here and there who believe Bitcoin is very much decentralized and all hoarding through the mining in Big firms doesn't affect its decentralization.

Even if it's becoming centralized slowly, there are certain factors that completely hinder it from becoming so. So, I believe there's no need to worry about Bitcoin's decentralization.
Each has our own perspective on how they view a thing even if it was wrong. Meanwhile, BTC is decentralized but maybe some thinks it isn't now due to the changes that occurs in the space such as regulation and accumulation (only to name a few) as there might be more than these but for me, I still think BTC is decentralized and will remain like this because I believe that it's not like the other coin that has lots of teams and then lots of supply.

You know, some of them may be untrustworthy and hold most of it and even if not them, investors can do it. Some says Satoshi Nakamoto owns a lot of BTC but I still don't think he will sell it only to make money because his vision is different from the majority.
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 6249
Decentralization Maximalist
@franky1: I try to be very synthetic because otherwise this discussion will derail from topic completely. After this post I'll exclusively continue discussing about topics treating centralization dangers in Bitcoin. For the big block and "Lightning good/bad" topics you seem to like so much there are other threads.

1) Lightning providers: Again, the service providers can offer you a credit model if they want to, but this is not like LN was designed. You're confusing the technology with a particular way some providers use it. LN was designed as a prepaid system. I personally don't approve the "credit" business model too much but such models emerging are inevitable, like people holding BTC on Binance (and even "staking" them, lol). I also heavily doubt that 99% of LN users use a "credit" based model.
2) Block size: First, of course, storage is NOT the problem. RAM/Bandwidth/CPU capacity for validation is. My reference is still the Bitfury study from 2015, where the block size which would lead to centralization (where standard commercial hardware would already not be enough) was estimated to be about 4 MB, above all because of RAM usage (if all blocks were 4 MB, RAM usage was estimated to be 16 GB). Yes, 9 years have passed since then, but commercial PC hardware still has mostly 16 GB RAM or less. There are of course high end gaming PCs with 32 GB now but this would barely be enough for a full node when blocks are at 8 MB and not many people have the money to dedicate such a machine to Bitcoin. Thus it leads to .... drumroll ... centralization!
3) Code is beautiful, yes, but please give me a concrete example how you would penalize someone bloating the blockchain with Stampchain NFTs, which look exactly like payments and additionally bloat the UTXO set.
4) Your "evaluate spam by UTXO age" would not work. It would exactly benefit Ordinals/Stampchain-type spam, because people hold these NFTs for a while.
5) I don't say everybody has to migrate to a particular subnetwork, but it will be increasingly beneficial for users to migrate to one of many, or at least to use them for small payments.
6) Full nodes: The idea is that these nodes could provide full validation without full storage. There are for sure challenges but we're talking about future tech here. And I actually would agree with you that while such "ZK nodes" could be attacked in some way full nodes can't, they're not full nodes. This method however seems also promising even if its not using ZK.
legendary
Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458
im not a "big blocker" because the group that push the term "big blocker" are pushing it to mean GB blocks asap extremes
Everything above 4 MB is "big blocks" in my opinion.
4.1mb is not big blocker..
heck we are 8 years passed the cries that 2mb was big. we are even 7 years passed where core devs thought(admitted) that 4mb was not detrimental to the network
thing have moved on since (moores law), even 6mb 8mb today is not "big blocker" detrimental to the network. but dev politics are not ready to change their roadmap

hard drives of 4TB are not $thousands, heck they are not even multiple $hundreds. heck they are not even sing $hundred any more..
a 4TB hard drive that can store ANOTHER ten more years* of block data for the whopping hard drive purchase price of 2tx fee's of 2 months ago congestion rate rate or just 20 tx fee minimum whilst no congestion

i find it funny how people think a $50 hard drive for 14year of old data +10 years* of future data is a economical threat to bitcoin.. but a $25 fee for 1 tx is in their silly minds not a threat but a expectation for the future (facepalm)
funny part is more people have avoided bitcoin due to the fee. not due to hard drives..

so hard drives are not the problem so please do the actual maths and realise those idiots you copy screaming "big blockers" are not talking about 4.1-8mb blocks.. they are talking about GB blocks.. as their exaggeration to their exaggeration of how they want to make bitcoin scaling feel like a non-option by the idiot screamers you copy words of pretending when others talk about scaling (small progressive adjustments via many methods, efforts) are in the minds of the screamers you copy words from pretend scaling is GB network threatening blocks just to try to get the scaling talk to stop. so that the only solution talk is of migrating everyone to subnetworks, because they want to promote the faulty subnetwork as the only option, plus its free promotion if they can get people to not offer other options

by them screaming exaggerations of 'blockchain cant cope with 'big blocks' (exaggerated GB size leaps).. its their attempt to try to quash people from even discussing or making proposals for actual rational SCALING(which is not just increasing blocksize but scaling tx count within blocks via many option),.. the silly idiots want to pretend the only bitcoin options was GB or migrate people offchain..
they dont want people talking about the multitude of rational options.. and just want to pretend those wanting scaling must belong in some GB group of threat.. (facepalm, tut, laugh, shakes head)

(*<600gb so far plus 10years of 4mb(4*525000) = <2.7TB)

a. de cludging the 4mb block code to not be 1mb base 3mb witness and instead a open 4mb space that can be fully utilised by even legacy and or the other tx formats
    thus allowing more transactions, rather then junk unrelated to transacting
b. penalising the spammers and bloaters(not everyone) so that less spam/bloat = more room for genuine transactions
You actually contradict yourself here. If you try to "penalize" spammers then you'll get even more difficult to cleanup spam like Doginals or Stampchain, which are more difficult to detect because they use transactions resembling ordinary "payment" transactions. OP_RETURN was created to prevent that.
The witness discount has its reasons.

do you know whats great about code.. code creates rules, creates formulaes and creates policy
code can limit how many op returns can be used. to ensure tx stay lead.
code can do alot of things..

c. re-implementing hard validation code that counts and validates all bytes to have a purpose and lean preference = more transactions
Again, how do you want to detect spam not using a known scheme like Ordinals, but another obscuranted method?

bloat is detectable by bytes not part of the input output of value
spam can be detected by the UTXO age being spent to often
EG someone with a 1 confirm can be set as a 144x fee to attain priority
someone with a 144 confirm only needs to pay 1x fee to attain priority

d. not LEAPING blocksize, nor moving blocksize via core dev politics, but SCALING in adjustments based on fill rate and fee of a math formulae that if reaching a threshold of prolonged congestion, then the blocksize can increase at a set milestone all nodes know the formulae of(much like node know difficulty formulae), a rule in nodes to be in consensus to agree on. without dev politics(god mode) decisions
In general I'm not against this idea, I have supported it actually multiple times. It could however be quite challenging to find a formula which can't be gamed.

and you think dev politics cant be gamed...

And I guess if you're against L2 solutions then I guess your formula would be quite elastic, i.e. reacting fast to congestion. But as you can't distinguish spam from legit transactions (it's impossible, believe me) then you invite the spammers to spam the network even more with such a formula -> and then you're again helping centralization (Yeah! We're back on topic!). The formula thus would have to be extremely conservative, also to ensure a fee market can develop (fee market does not mean $100 fees though, but it should be able to go significantly over $0.10 in times of high demand.)

subnetworks (next gen not the current flawed sandbox offerings) will have niches.. but to presume every needs to migrate away from bitcoin into the singular flawed subnetwork you promote and idolise.. thats where you lose me and i laugh at you

as for your other assumptions... ill just tut and laugh.. ill give you some more time to actually think about a proper rebuttal rather then the one you gave
hint: recently conjestion was 2500 average tx per 4mb cludgy bloated block paying $20 each last month is where people give up using bitcoin daily and just didnt bother using bitcoin for months.. which leads to centralisation via avoidance
however
(in a congestion scenario of blocks of~ 8mb best case (if things got fully efficient, lean where every byte counts again)

30,000 tx (of lean tx, uncludged block format, de spammed, debloated) $2 per tx during congestion is more for a mining pool then the 2500 x $20 current congestion.. but users pay less
.. its economics. more space for more tx(and more erognomics of the space, and other things) means people pay less.. but total fee becomes more

if you had a level head. and a actual inclination to think for yourself about whats best for bitcoin
you would not be following the idiot brigade diatribe of trying to get everyone else off bitcoin and whilst saying that the junk should not be stopped
I suppose that you have good intentions for BTC, but you're simply unrealistic if you think spamming can be stopped "the Luke-Jr way", i.e. with a hard-coded "spam control" like Ordisrespector.
again ill give you time to come up with a better rebuttal then you just said, and just laugh and tut
the presumptions you make of me are more laughable of the ones i make of you
i have never even said anything that sounds like "lukes way" yet i can quote you many times sounding like the idiot brigade that promote off-ramping everyone over to the single subnetwork they call "solution" and your other sily buzzword you repeat without independent thought

PS: My personal hopes on how spam could be stopped or at least made less attractive is ZK tech like in this thread, which would allow full nodes to ignore arbitrary data.

nodes without FULL storage..
nodes without FULL verification..
are not.. wait for it.. [drum role]..... FULL nodes
they would be considered pruned, stripped, bridged, downstream nodes

ill give an example
in the 2016-2017+ era of node versions

a 0.11 (presegwit node) peer connecting to a segwit activated node.. has the segwit active node strip the witness and hands the pre segwit node a stripped block where it does not have the (witness)signatures/scripts/bloat of segwit/taproot ..  but BLINDLY passes them as valid due to the opcode trick segwit/taproot uses to deem data after opcode should be passed without inspection, even if missing signature witness)

these older nodes are not full nodes as they dont validate all data and dont store all data.. so they cant then act as IBD seeds for other FULL node peers to leach blockchain data from

those older nodes then due to how peerconnect works become a under layer of nodes at the bottom of the tier system of network peers
even gmax and his team called these nodes downstream, bridged, stripped nodes
legendary
LN is the IOU game of buy now settle later.. basically credit card.. you need to settle up at end of month-year
majority of LN services offer instant balance.. (meaning no funding lock created to take in your funds to be in your control)
where you then have to pay down that IOU balance at a separate time.. yep LN is mostly more resembling credit card
Your analogy is wrong. If I buy liquidity on a Lightning Service Provider, I'll have to pay them. If they provide me some free liquidity at the start as a promotional measure, this is completely independent from Lightning's concept.
If I manage my Lightning channel by myself then I also do an upfront payment to create the channel.
Where is the "credit"?
You can use LN in a "centralized" way "trusting" a third party but that's not the way it was designed. It's like holding your BTC on Binance ...

i NEVER said they GIFT you 'free liquidity promotion'.. i said they credit you liquidity(give you a credit limit) which you have to pay back + a fee(interest) for the amount you use
they just call it 'renting' to hide the game of credit

as for you managing your own channel using upfront funds locked by you:
(a) then offer someone balance(renting your balance out) from your channel output which you then need to settle later where they need to pay you for "rent"
or
(B)you want them to equally offer their side balance to you..

you are in (a) a loan manager or (b) each offering mutual loans to each other and settle later

if you just use your balance for you to buy goods or services(no renting out balance).. you are doing a buy now settle later of the goods. where you IOU them. (you took out a loan that settles later)
..if the goods supplier is a hop+ away
you are taking out a credit line with your channel partner so you owe him. and he takes out a pay later loan with good supplier he needs to settle later. where you gets the goods before settling the credit/loan
and in all cases of using LN... the payments are not confirmed on the blockchain and terms(states/commitments) can change before settlement . meaning they are all IOU where the IOU agreement can change, until channel is closed and everything is settled.. the only question is who owes who whilst channels are open

so yes LN is a credit scheme, where 99% people are the borrower and only a lucky few get to independently open channels with their own coin locks to be a loan officer
legendary
LN is the IOU game of buy now settle later.. basically credit card.. you need to settle up at end of month-year
majority of LN services offer instant balance.. (meaning no funding lock created to take in your funds to be in your control)
where you then have to pay down that IOU balance at a separate time.. yep LN is mostly more resembling credit card
Your analogy is wrong. If I buy liquidity on a Lightning Service Provider, I'll have to pay them. If they provide me some free liquidity at the start as a promotional measure, this is completely independent from Lightning's concept.
If I manage my Lightning channel by myself then I also do an upfront payment to create the channel.
Where is the "credit"?
You can use LN in a "centralized" way "trusting" a third party but that's not the way it was designed. It's like holding your BTC on Binance ...

im not a "big blocker" because the group that push the term "big blocker" are pushing it to mean GB blocks asap extremes
Everything above 4 MB is "big blocks" in my opinion.

a. de cludging the 4mb block code to not be 1mb base 3mb witness and instead a open 4mb space that can be fully utilised by even legacy and or the other tx formats
b. penalising the spammers and bloaters(not everyone) so that less spam/bloat = more room for genuine transactions
You actually contradict yourself here. If you try to "penalize" spammers then you'll get even more difficult to cleanup spam like Doginals or Stampchain, which are more difficult to detect because they use transactions resembling ordinary "payment" transactions. OP_RETURN was created to prevent that.
The witness discount has its reasons.

c. re-implementing hard validation code that counts and validates all bytes to have a purpose and lean preference = more transactions
Again, how do you want to detect spam not using a known scheme like Ordinals, but another obscuranted method?

d. not LEAPING blocksize, nor moving blocksize via core dev politics, but SCALING in adjustments based on fill rate and fee of a math formulae that if reaching a threshold of prolonged congestion, then the blocksize can increase at a set milestone all nodes know the formulae of(much like node know difficulty formulae), a rule in nodes to be in consensus to agree on. without dev politics(god mode) decisions
In general I'm not against this idea, I have supported it actually multiple times. It could however be quite challenging to find a formula which can't be gamed.

And I guess if you're against L2 solutions then I guess your formula would be quite elastic, i.e. reacting fast to congestion. But as you can't distinguish spam from legit transactions (it's impossible, believe me) then you invite the spammers to spam the network even more with such a formula -> and then you're again helping centralization (Yeah! We're back on topic!). The formula thus would have to be extremely conservative, also to ensure a fee market can develop (fee market does not mean $100 fees though, but it should be able to go significantly over $0.10 in times of high demand.)

if you had a level head. and a actual inclination to think for yourself about whats best for bitcoin
you would not be following the idiot brigade diatribe of trying to get everyone else off bitcoin and whilst saying that the junk should not be stopped
I suppose that you have good intentions for BTC, but you're simply unrealistic if you think spamming can be stopped "the Luke-Jr way", i.e. with a hard-coded "spam control" like Ordisrespector.

PS: My personal hopes on how spam could be stopped or at least made less attractive is ZK tech like in this thread, which would allow full nodes to ignore arbitrary data.
Activity: 882
Merit: 148
Who the heck is Gary Gensler? Is he Satoshi Nakamoto himself? Nope. This is why I find it silly when some people care about some random person's opinions instead of using their own heads properly.

Fact is that BTC itself is decentralised, but some stuff related to it like exchanges etc that require KYC are centralised. They are different.
legendary
d5000 is part of the crowd OBSESSED with thoughts that everyone migrating in their billlions of population over to a flawed buggy subnetwork that doesnt even have its own network wide audit/security model, called LN
You're funny (...not). I suggest you to read my posts in this thread again Grin
For me LN is the equivalent of a prepaid card in Bitcoin's world. It's good enough for small payments. Sounds lame, but small payments are 99% of all payments.
analogy
bitcoin is the debit card bank account you own for your funds, takes a bit of time to confirm minutes-one day

It is not centralized per se, although of course as it's a neutral technology it could happen that its topology is centered in some big hubs, but that can be fixed as barriers to enter LN are quite low.
when over 75% of that 4600 capacity is held by only a dozen services... its definitely more centralised than funds on the bitcoin network

The solution you seem to be obsessed with, however, has just this problem: big block coins have extremely high barriers for new node operators, due mostly to bandwidth requirements.

oh here you go again repeating crappy old narratives of a group promoting stupidity and you just blindly repeating it

my actual opinion is:

emphasis scaling not leaping.. (and no dont mis interpret it as "big blocker" narrative of quick climbs to extremes via words you heard from the idiot brigade which you seem to be repeating your many points from
there is more to it then the silly narrative of leaps to GB blocks your crew suggest as the only alternative to LN

And legiteum is completely right about that not every payment has to be recorded by the whole network forever, even if the solution he proposes is ... even more lame than big block coins in my opinion.
funny thing is the idiot brigade group you got most of your talking points from.. are the ones that want the blockchain bloated up with hundreds of millions of unspendable dust utxo with a meme attached, which they dont want stopped
YET
then want real purchases of real goods and services to be removed/stopped from utilising bitcoin and instead done on their preferred(flawed) subnetwork of middle men taking a fee per routed payment

and yes they want bitcoin to have high fee's because they dont want bitcoin to be used everyday by people, they want people to leave bitcoin and be locked into partnerships on the other system you falsely think is the only solution
legendary
d5000 is part of the crowd OBSESSED with thoughts that everyone migrating in their billlions of population over to a flawed buggy subnetwork that doesnt even have its own network wide audit/security model, called LN
You're funny (...not). I suggest you to read my posts in this thread again Grin
For me LN is the equivalent of a prepaid card in Bitcoin's world. It's good enough for small payments. Sounds lame, but small payments are 99% of all payments.
It is not centralized per se, although of course as it's a neutral technology it could happen that its topology is centered in some big hubs, but that can be fixed as barriers to enter LN are quite low.
The solution you seem to be obsessed with, however, has just this problem: big block coins have extremely high barriers for new node operators, due mostly to bandwidth requirements.
And legiteum is completely right about that not every payment has to be recorded by the whole network forever, even if the solution he proposes is ... even more lame than big block coins in my opinion. Roll Eyes

(btw, the solutions I'm probably most "OBSESSED" about are sidechains, rollups and similar tech. Wink )

but as i said, other new(yet to be designed from scratch) subnetworks that will learn from the mistakes of LN will come about, but it wont be one solo subnetwork, but multiple bridged subnetworks for different niches
Compare this sentence with my conclusion in my answer to @legiteum, finally something we (almost) agree Wink
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
And allow me to be a bit mean: maybe he confused it with Ethereum.
I'm pretty sure that he knows exactly what he's doing and saying, he's just saying stuff in his own interest, that is the difference.

Indeed, his confusion is almost certainly intentional and possibly just faked, so he can confuse others.
I completely agree that his statement is in line with his interest, not with the reality. I've said it many times that we should never trust personalities' declarations.
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 2369
Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Smiley
I've seen a lot this misconception about Bitcoin decentralization. Actually I've just answered in another topic about this.
Gary Gensler doesn't understand that the decentralization of bitcoin is about the full nodes and the miners involved, not about the number of wallets containing big funds (and frankly, those are still plenty too).
Oftentimes people confuse decentralization with distribution, or maybe I would say fair distribution in this case. Let's also not forget that his final intent is to discredit and take bitcoin down, and this type of declaration are pretty smart because they can actually confuse people when you think about.

And allow me to be a bit mean: maybe he confused it with Ethereum.
I'm pretty sure that he knows exactly what he's doing and saying, he's just saying stuff in his own interest, that is the difference.
Activity: 140
Merit: 43
LN is nine years old this month.
That's the paper, but not the implementation. And what do you want to say with that? Wink

What I want to say with that is that they've been working on LN for a very long time--might as well be centuries in the realm of technology--and yet it doesn't come even within several orders of magnitude of being able to handle worldwide transaction volume.

It hasn't solved anything because like every decentralized architecture, it will never scale to mainstream transaction volume.
First, it does solve "something": [...]

Well, yeah, of course it does. I guess I should have more carefully defined my context with that statement. It doesn't solve the problem I was talking about solving...

The most likely "vision" for a Bitcoin which can scale for billions of users is a variety of different solutions working in parallel. LN could be used for small payments, on-chain only for big transactions ("settlement") and sidechains, pegged chains and rollups for everything in-between. And this variety makes the whole system more decentralized and complex.

I agree. I think blockchain-based cryptos are perfectly fine as investment instruments or large-scale value stores. But they will never be, themselves, actual mainstream currencies. For that you will need a system like Haypenny, which can support currencies based on whatever value store you want in the backend, but do so in a way that supports worldwide transaction volume.

legendary

its like he wants to use tech that is pre 2009

LN can open channels and display balance that is not funded by a bitcoin utxo
(all the services that 'open channel instantly' or 'offer inbound balance') using temp ID instead of TXID proven this fact is possible

heck there is no network wide audit/security so channels can open using the same TXID more then once (aka double spend)
thats how bad LN is

what d5000 needs to realise is, yes next gen subnetworks will be utilised for different niche requirements and they will have niches, but the failed sandbox experiment known as LN is not the solution, epecially when it has had years of opportunity to fix the issues even LN devs admit it has

but lets just list some of the user experience issues
they have bottleneck issues of liquidity, rebalance snowballing effects, path not found, unco-operative partners.
plus many other bad issues let alone the weak code and bugs and other flaws dev admit to aswell

even now LN has stalled on adoption only peaking at 5.4k btc top capacity.. and now at 4.7k
heck even bitcoin ETF managed to lock up 5k IN ONE DAY

but i do laugh that d5000 is stuck advertising tech pre2009(non blockchain decentralised audited/secured) using out of date utopian PR wordage from 2018.. trying to scream to the masses of wanting billions of people to migrate over to the crappy subnetwork..

but as i said, other new(yet to be designed from scratch) subnetworks that will learn from the mistakes of LN will come about, but it wont be one solo subnetwork, but multiple bridged subnetworks for different niches
legendary
LN is nine years old this month.
That's the paper, but not the implementation. And what do you want to say with that? Wink

Your 90's centralized web currency concept is even older, regardless of the minimal improvement it may provide over some existing solutions Grin.

It hasn't solved anything because like every decentralized architecture, it will never scale to mainstream transaction volume.
First, it does solve "something": you can already transact much cheaper and faster on it. Even if it's currently not providing "VISA levels of TPS", because of the adoption problem (channels have to be created with on-chain transactions). But: Do we need "VISA levels of TPS"? Currently not. There is VISA, there are fiat currencies, there are altcoins. They can coexist with Bitcoin for some decades (and maybe forever, I'm not an "absolute maxi").

I know the theory you're referring to (decentralization-scalability-security trilemma) but it isn't a law of nature. It's simply based on the experience that all three characteristics are difficult to achieve at the same time.

However, there is a never ending progress in the scaling area. LN is being adopted by mainstream exchanges. On ETH you have already working rollups, Bitcoin probably will get them soon too. The progress is gradual and it's unlikely that the current scaling tech can lead to an adoption by 8 billion people in the coming 5 years. But we're already in the hundreds of millions and getting closer to the goal. Smiley It is also likely that the progress regarding latency/bandwidth and storage will be faster than population growth, so at most in a couple of decades the problem should be completely solved.

The most likely "vision" for a Bitcoin which can scale for billions of users is a variety of different solutions working in parallel. LN could be used for small payments, on-chain only for big transactions ("settlement") and sidechains, pegged chains and rollups for everything in-between. And this variety makes the whole system more decentralized and complex.
bitcoin is not full anonymity

its a PUBLIC LEDGER (emphasis public)
bitcoin does not ask for names nor needs to know names to prove ownership claims..

however when people use services and talk about it on forums they associate their own identities to addresses via their own admissions publicly
which is why the term pseudonymous was used instead of "full anonymity"

bitcoin doesn't require your name,  but it also wont scrub the internet to remove reference, if you divulge your name in association to bitcoin

Well, yeah  Smiley.

I was going to try to make that point in the Anon Paradox, but I couldn't figure out how to express that in an elegant and compact way.

Bitcoin, and other public ledger cryptos give you the very worst kind of non-anonymity in that they only expose your PK those who really really want to find out who you are, which means the biggest targets for hackers (i.e. they expose those who the hackers really want to spend the time triangulating).

I suppose you could say Bitcoin is effectively anonymous if you are careful... but most people aren't careful (and most consumers don't want to have to be careful all of the time). Hence, in everyday practicality, Bitcoin probably represents a big security/privacy issue for most average consumers.

Once again the paradox is that the decentralized public ledger approach is actually less private than a centralized company that legally commits to protecting your privacy/anonymity like DuckDuckGo, NordVPN or Haypenny...
legendary
Activity: 3192
Merit: 1362
www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games
And as I wrote, solutions are already there. LN is such a solution, only that it is still in its infancy. If you think that a couple of years (LN is developed since 2016 but usable since 2018) is enough in the case of an extremely difficult problem, you're wrong. Lightning is not centralized, or why do you think so? The only drawback is that it is only trustless if you monitor your payment channels carefully and are ready to close the channel in case of misbehaviour. And yes, I think this makes it not ideal and not a solution for big amounts, at this moment.

The LN is still experimental and not ready for mainstream use. There are many bugs/issues that need to be fixed before it can be considered a "good scaling solution". I wouldn't call it "decentralized", but rather "partially-centralized" because of the way it was designed. With LN, you'd need to trust payment channels before transacting on it. What if the one opening the channel is a bank or a government institution? Then we would be introducing the very concept of a "middleman", which Bitcoin was meant to avoid in the first place. To enlighten you, please read the following article: https://bitcoinmagazine.com/culture/is-the-bitcoin-lightning-network-centralized

I believe the threat of centralization within the Bitcoin ecosystem is growing at an alarming rate. Unless we do something about it, things are going to get worse in the long run. Remember when the Internet was once truly-decentralized and now it's controlled by "big tech" companies? The same future awaits BTC if we fail to protect its decentralized and censorship-resistant design. Maybe there's "light at the end of the tunnel"?  Roll Eyes
legendary
bitcoin is not full anonymity

its a PUBLIC LEDGER (emphasis public)
bitcoin does not ask for names nor needs to know names to prove ownership claims..

however when people use services and talk about it on forums they associate their own identities to addresses via their own admissions publicly
which is why the term pseudonymous was used instead of "full anonymity"

bitcoin doesn't require your name,  but it also wont scrub the internet to remove reference, if you divulge your name in association to bitcoin
Full anonymity lead to the ban of one of our best black markets the silk road market place, it functioned fine as a back Market and what happened, so many criminals found a new way to hide their crimes and some government officials used it to steal funds without a trace, I can't blame the government for their resentment towards bitcoin even if I know they want to have control over it in a way, but that's what they do, control people.

And how can we regulate and stop crimes with full anonymity of  users, not everyone is genuine like you and me, I think some actions has been necessary up to date, even the creation of centralized exchanges and it doesn't stop you from holding your bitcoin or digital asset yourself.

As I've said before, The Anon Paradox, says that most people don't want the kind of anonymity that tries to protect you from the legal authorities, but rather they want anonymity from other citizens, companies, marketers, and criminals. And the paradox here is that people want their largest holdings like their home, car and life savings held the exact opposite of anonymously: they want these things in their own name so they can never lose them.

Activity: 98
Merit: 55
That's why most people want to return back to the old way of trading which is using decentralized exchanges and some exchanges that didn't require KYC. I missed those days when you didn't really need to send exchanges your personal info just to trade bitcoins but right now, you have to, especially for local exchanges that didn't require this method before, they need to ask their users for it because the government is also monitoring their activities. this all happened due to the recent incidence of multi-million scams across the country and the result was tight security of all exchanges. Nevertheless, if you don't do anything wrong, then you have nothing to worry about because you are clean, but if we have another good choice like some exchanges offer full anonymity, that would be good.

Full anonymity lead to the ban of one of our best black markets the silk road market place, it functioned fine as a back Market and what happened, so many criminals found a new way to hide their crimes and some government officials used it to steal funds without a trace, I can't blame the government for their resentment towards bitcoin even if I know they want to have control over it in a way, but that's what they do, control people.

And how can we regulate and stop crimes with full anonymity of  users, not everyone is genuine like you and me, I think some actions has been necessary up to date, even the creation of centralized exchanges and it doesn't stop you from holding your bitcoin or digital asset yourself.
Activity: 350
Merit: 295
I'm afraid he's right, especially when CEXs hold most of BTC's circulating supply (eg: Binance). It's even worse now with the recent approval of spot Bitcoin ETFs by the SEC. Institutional investment companies like BlackRock, VanEck, and MicroStrategy are accumulating large amounts of the cryptocurrency.

We're essentially selling our BTC to companies driven by mainstream governments' own interests. With this, Bitcoin's true value proposition has failed (banks win). At least, the code is open source. If BTC becomes compromised, what's stopping us from moving to a more decentralized chain in the future (Litecoin, Monero)?

Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Smiley

I have noticed a pattern of attack from high profile people and what they does is that they attack Bitcoin on any given opportunity, they don't like Bitcoin and they are always the big guys that has heavily investment else where and don't have Bitcoin and why they do this is because they are afraid, they fear that Bitcoin is going to become exactly what they fear and whether they like it or not, it will achieve what Satoshi created it for purposely.

Gary Gensler hasn't keep quiet since last year, since December he always has different things to say as if his opinion really matter. Bitcoin is this, Bitcoin will not do that, Bitcoin is not what people think, yes we agreed but he should face his work than always making comments on something he can't control. Instead of him to worry about losing his job if Trump win the next election, he is busy squatting with Bitcoin hate.
legendary

And as I wrote, solutions are already there. LN is such a solution, only that it is still in its infancy. If you think that a couple of years (LN is developed since 2016 but usable since 2018) is enough in the case of an extremely difficult problem, you're wrong. Lightning is not centralized, or why do you think so? The only drawback is that it is only trustless if you monitor your payment channels carefully and are ready to close the channel in case of misbehaviour. And yes, I think this makes it not ideal and not a solution for big amounts, at this moment.

so its not a solution.. its a niche with risks.. cheers for confirmation.
and lightning is centralised
just check out who owns majority of its <5k coin(~4600 at time of post)

LNB=fg ~962(over 20% in 1 entity)
bfx ~629 acinq ~460  (over 23% in 2 entities)
kraken ~260
[ list above is 50% of LN capacity.. 4 entities]

then we have others
okx ~257 riverfinancial ~237 binance ~250  walletofsatoshi ~229 nicehash ~185  
[above is another 25% is in 5 entities]

yep 75% of capacity is in 9 entities

if 75%+ (i did not list all) of LN capacity is locked into 9 SERVICES, its not really the solution of independent 'own your coin' network for easy transaction peer to peer it proposes as being the solution of
Pages:
Jump to: