Pages:
Author

Topic: Gary, tell us what is Ethereum? - page 2. (Read 544 times)

legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 4270
May 06, 2023, 09:31:12 AM
I think nothing has damaged the SEC's reputation as badly as this whole crypto-security-or-not situation.
Remember that Gensler is just a face for the SEC, but it's not like he's solely responsible for the lack of clear policies. There's something deeper going on there for sure.
I think they're just trying to assess the implications of deciding either way. But I won't be surprised if they throw Gensler under a bus eventually to try to regain credibility.

Meanwhile, a Coinbase finally lost their patience and decided to sue SEC in hopes to get the court to force SEC to give Coinbase a clear answer to their petition (after being ignored for months).
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/24/coinbase-sues-sec-after-months-of-silence-from-federal-regulator.html
The SEC rejected the petition of the Coinbase exchange, and what will the exchange achieve from the court's decision?
SEC will provide a formal answer, in which there will be no clear information.This won't stop the SEC from terrorizing other crypto exchanges.
If there are no changes, then the SEC policy is correct.
legendary
Activity: 2436
Merit: 1561
May 06, 2023, 05:43:38 AM
I think nothing has damaged the SEC's reputation as badly as this whole crypto-security-or-not situation.
Remember that Gensler is just a face for the SEC, but it's not like he's solely responsible for the lack of clear policies. There's something deeper going on there for sure.
I think they're just trying to assess the implications of deciding either way. But I won't be surprised if they throw Gensler under a bus eventually to try to regain credibility.

Meanwhile, a Coinbase finally lost their patience and decided to sue SEC in hopes to get the court to force SEC to give Coinbase a clear answer to their petition (after being ignored for months).
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/24/coinbase-sues-sec-after-months-of-silence-from-federal-regulator.html
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1655
April 21, 2023, 06:11:42 PM
Lol, but yes, I do agree, he is really a big disappointment being chair of the SEC.

On the other hand, what do you think of him not owning any crypto or at least Bitcoin? is he lying under oath? I'm asking because prior to being nominated at this position, he uses to teach about blockchain.

He has taught classes about blockchain, digital currencies, and other financial technologies, and won the MIT Sloan Outstanding Teacher Award for the 2018-19 academic year. Gensler first joined the Institute in 2018.

https://news.mit.edu/2021/gary-gensler-nominated-chair-sec-0119

It's hard to believed that a individual who has knowledge about digital currencies will not at least own something during that time, hehehehe.
legendary
April 21, 2023, 09:37:30 AM
I do not believe that Gary Gensler will be removed from his position because of his actions with cryptocurrencies.
Those who agree with the SEC will pay a small fine, which, according to the SEC, will be adequate and continue their business, and those who do not agree will get big problems in court. It’s most convenient to search not where you lost it, but where it’s light

One night a policeman found a man searching for his keys under a streetlight. He joined to help, only to realize after hours of searching, that the man had lost his keys in the park.

“Then why are you searching here?” asked the policeman.

“Because this is where the light is,” replied the man.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 2017
April 21, 2023, 12:15:13 AM
It is clear to me that it is a security, so I don't know why he said it clearly before but avoided saying it in that appearance. Basically Bitcoin is a commodity because it does not depend on a central authority and the supply cannot be increased at will, something similar to what is happening with gold and other commodities.  Obviously this is not the case with Ethereum and shitcoins, which are more like bonds issued by a company, which are dependent on a central authority, that company, and can be increased at will.
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1335
Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com
April 20, 2023, 05:34:55 PM
You should also listen to the part where he's being questioned by Waren Davidson, who not only makes Gensler sweat in his seat, but also proposes to remove him from his position.
In short, Gary Gensler is asked about suing Kim Kardashian for promoting EthereumMax, and he responds that it was a security and they reached a settlement. Davidson asks why did they go after one person who was promoting it and not after the coin and its creators because the coin is still trading.
It's obvious they went after an easy target that had money to pay the fine. The SEC is there to gather money from easy targets, it's not there to protect investors from scams.
The SEC also allowed coinbase to do its IPO, after stating that it's a platform where unregistered securities are being traded.

I'm biased here as a bitcoin holder, but Gensler is a strange guy. On one hand he is so into making it hard for any crypto company to function, on the other ha made it very easy for the biggest scam exchange on the planet (FTX) to prosper and SBF was allowed to do what he wanted. This guy is prejudiced, incompetent, and tries to find a way to make the 100 year old laws to work for new investment vehicles, which cannot work.
legendary
April 20, 2023, 11:13:36 AM
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/sec-chair-gensler-declines-ether-080521859.html
U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) Chair Gary Gensler refused to say whether ether (ETH), the second-largest cryptocurrency by market cap, was a security during a nearly five-hour hearing Tuesday.

One of the most contentious points in the hearing came early on, when McHenry asked Gensler to say if he thought ether was a security.

https://blockworks.co/news/regulatory-clarity-ethereum-gensler
McHenry asked Gensler some very specific questions, including this one, regarding Ether (ETH), the native token of the Ethereum blockchain.

“Clearly an asset cannot be both a commodity and a security. Do you agree?”

“Ummm, I… I… it’s… actually all securities are commodities under the Commodity and Exchange Act, it’s that we’re excluded commodities, but I would agree that a security cannot also be an excluded commodity and an included commodity, I’m sorry chair, just to talk about the Commodity Exchange Act, more precisely.”

McHenry did not appear to think this answer was an answer at all.

He followed up: “I’m asking you, sitting in your chair now, to make an assessment under the laws that exist: Is ether a commodity, or a security?”

“Without speaking to any one…” began Gensler.

“You’ve repeatedly said you won’t speak to one,” interrupted McHenry, “But you’ve spoken to one: bitcoin. So I’m asking you to speak to a second one, with the second largest market cap.”

“In speaking to the tokens,” Gensler replied, “There’s ten to twelve thousand, if there’s a group of entrepreneurs…”

“I’m asking about one,” interjected McHenry. “I’m asking you a specific question, Chair Gensler. I said this in private, this should be no shock to you that I’m asking this question. Is ether a commodity, or a security?”

Gensler: “And again, it depends on the facts and the law on if there’s a group of individuals…”

McHenry: “I’m asking about the facts and the law, sitting in your seat, and the judgment you are making.”

Gensler: “And so, Mr. Chair, I think you would not want me to prejudge…”

McHenry wasn’t having it. “But you have prejudged on this. You’ve taken 50 enforcement actions. We’re finding out as we go, as you file suit, as people get Wells notices on what is a security in your view and your agency’s view. I’m asking you a very simple question about the second-largest digital asset. What is your view?”

Once again, Gensler refused to answer. “And my view is, if there’s a group of individuals in the middle of it, the public is entitled…”

McHenry gave up and moved on.

https://korea.postsen.com/business/145169/US-SEC-Chairman-Avoids-Answering-Ethereum-Securities-at-Hearing-%3C-Blockchain-%3C-Main-article.html
Previously, Chairman Gensler argued that Ethereum, which was converted to Proof of Stake (PoS) after the merge upgrade, is a security. He cited the fact that the majority of all nodes operating Ethereum at the time were in the United States.

Live: Gensler Answers to House Financial Services Committee
https://blockworks.co/news/gensler-house-financial-services-committee

___
This is a real circus!
Pages:
Jump to: