Author

Topic: Gateless Gate Sharp 1.3.8: 30Mh/s (Ethash) on RX 480! - page 164. (Read 214410 times)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100
CryptoLearner
So, while my wife is away on a sky trip for three days, I decided to give the GCN compiler one more shot and started debugging again. With a stripped-down version of SA's kernel, I was able to identify LDS access as the main cause for incompatibility. Without LDS access, the compiler builds the kernel without a problem. Parallel programming is already hard, GPGPU is harder, and debugging a compiler for GPGPU is notoriously harder yet, but I'm getting closer...

Lol i can see the wife coming home, finding a bearded zawawa with 3 days old clothes in front of the computer with code in the eyes @_@ * brain dead *.

Don't let it get to you man, ahah  Grin
Activity: 728
Merit: 304
Miner Developer
So, while my wife is away on a sky trip for three days, I decided to give the GCN compiler one more shot and started debugging again. With a stripped-down version of SA's kernel, I was able to identify LDS access as the main cause for incompatibility. Without LDS access, the compiler builds the kernel without a problem. Parallel programming is already hard, GPGPU is harder, and debugging a compiler for GPGPU is notoriously harder yet, but I'm getting closer...
Activity: 23
Merit: 0
i could never understand how to compile / use this on ubuntu 16.04 ? i know it might be a stupid question, but could someone kindly write a simple full step by step how-to build on ubuntu 16.04? it will be very much appreciated Smiley

I'm running my rigs on ubuntu 16.04 and it's pretty straight forward with basic Linux know how. Don't have the spare time to write up a full how-to now but the basic steps as far as I remember are:

- download and install latest AMD SDK
- download and install latest AMD PRO GRU driver
- download zawawas miner from github
- use "apt-get install" to clear sgminer dependencies (see readme)
- bulid from source according to readme

If you run into troubles on the way I pretty sure someone here will help you figure it out  Wink

Activity: 129
Merit: 10
just FYI guys: running any of SGminer forks with CryptoNote on Win10 may produce 100% fan bug (occasionally fans jump to 100%) however it seems that single specific version: 16.10.4 fixes this problem.

will that work with modded bios Huh

indeed it does. there was no bois signature check in versions up to 16.12 (from 16.9.1?)
(also you can bypass it: https://www.techpowerup.com/228536/amd-bios-signature-check-re-enabled-with-relive-locks-out-polaris-bios-modders)

thanks   i cannot find a 16.10.4  on amd  site

fuck, I'm an idiot, it's 16.11.4, sorry for that

np  ive found the right ones 16.11.4   il install them later today 

a nightmare  used ddu to  clear old drivers etc  installed 16.11.4  but it didnt install amd settings or wattman  and when i looked in device drivers  showed only vga drivers  i tried for well over a hour to sort it  even went back to my 16.9.2  but each time  no amd settings  or wattman   in the end i gave up and
used the auto updater which installed 17. sommat  which is working ok  but means i cannot  use modded bios  anyone any ideas where ive gone wrong
Activity: 291
Merit: 250
i could never understand how to compile / use this on ubuntu 16.04 ? i know it might be a stupid question, but could someone kindly write a simple full step by step how-to build on ubuntu 16.04? it will be very much appreciated Smiley
Miner Developer
Hi Zawawa, something weird happening.

On my two 6x RX470 rigs (Win 10), no issues running the miner.

However, on my rig with 2 R390X (Win 7 x64), when I launch the bat file, I see the yellow text appearing and it immediately goes to "Press a key to continue...". I don't get why it's not launching  Huh

Cheers

A wrong platform is specified.
Activity: 487
Merit: 266
Hi Zawawa, something weird happening.

EDIT: nevermind, got it working, bat file issue...

On my two 6x RX470 rigs (Win 10), no issues running the miner.

However, on my rig with 2 R390X (Win 7 x64), when I launch the bat file, I see the yellow text appearing and it immediately goes to "Press a key to continue...". I don't get why it's not launching  Huh

Cheers
just FYI guys: running any of SGminer forks with CryptoNote on Win10 may produce 100% fan bug (occasionally fans jump to 100%) however it seems that single specific version: 16.10.4 fixes this problem.

indeed it does. there was no bois signature check in versions up to 16.12 (from 16.9.1?)
(also you can bypass it: https://www.techpowerup.com/228536/amd-bios-signature-check-re-enabled-with-relive-locks-out-polaris-bios-modders)

np  ive found the right ones 16.11.4   il install them later today 
Activity: 857
Merit: 262

just FYI guys: running any of SGminer forks with CryptoNote on Win10 may produce 100% fan bug (occasionally fans jump to 100%) however it seems that single specific version: 16.11.4 fixes this problem.

EDIT: I'm talking Polaris cards here
Miner Developer
zawa3

Tried this on Nanos but getting this error. Can help?

[15:41:07] Started Gateless Gate v0.1.3-pre1
[15:41:07] * using Jansson 2.9
[15:41:07] Probing for an alive pool
[15:41:08] Startup GPU initialization... Using settings from pool cryptonight.usa.nicehash.com.
[15:41:08] Startup Pool No = 0
[15:41:08] Building binary cryptonightFijigw4l4.bin
[15:41:08] Error -11: Building Program (clBuildProgram)

It must be the driver. Have you tried Crimson 16.9.2?
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
zawa3

Tried this on Nanos but getting this error. Can help?

[15:41:07] * using Jansson 2.9
[15:41:07] Probing for an alive pool
[15:41:08] Startup GPU initialization... Using settings from pool cryptonight.usa.nicehash.com.
[15:41:08] Startup Pool No = 0
[15:41:08] Building binary cryptonightFijigw4l4.bin
[15:41:08] Error -11: Building Program (clBuildProgram)
Miner Developer
Actually, I live not too far from AMD's headquarters. (It's commutable.)
Whether they want me or not is an entirely different question, though...

Now I think about it, the aforementioned incompatibility may have something to do with instruction alignments:

https://github.com/CLRX/CLRX-mirror/wiki/GcnTimings

None of this is officially documented, of course...
Activity: 450
Merit: 255
zawawa when this is done, don't forget to apply for a sweet job at AMD Smiley  we could use help on the inside ヽ༼◕ل͜◕༽ノ
I 2nd the motion Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182
Now the money is free, and so the people will be
zawawa when this is done, don't forget to apply for a sweet job at AMD Smiley  we could use help on the inside ヽ༼◕ل͜◕༽ノ
Miner Developer
It seems like I have to rewrite the whole kernel for the new compiler.
I had no idea LLVM would be so picky. Not a good indication for future AMD drivers.
I will take my time with this project and return to the old assembly version for now.
After wrestling with LLVM, GG's Equihash kernel looks so tiny...
Miner Developer
The new compiler for GCN is passing all the tests I created, but it seems to have some compatibility issues with GG's Equihash kernel. I hope I don't have to spend too much time rewriting the kernel...
Jump to: