Pages:
Author

Topic: Gavin Andresen Switches Focus from Lead Developer - page 2. (Read 2233 times)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500
eidoo wallet

He's probably going for Nxt.

Nxt and it's horrible distribution? I think not.
Activity: 1582
Merit: 502
He is essentially being "promoted" to Chief Scientist to work on Bitcoin's mid to long term challenges, namely transaction pruning.

Exactly. This move actually strengthens Bitcoin in my view. We need someone with Gavin's experience focused more on macro thinking than micro details.

My favorite analogy for the task of core developers pushing Bitcoin code changes is it's like working on a 747 going hundreds of miles per hour. Make too big a mistake and the whole thing could crash and burn (or at least scare the hell out of the passengers). When Bitcoin was small it really needed hands on production to allow things to take off. Satoshi, Gavin and the core devs did a great job of that. Aside from some minor bumps the project has been a great success, claiming a multi-billion dollar market cap with all signs pointing to major investment funds lining up.

The stakes are higher for real world Bitcoin implementation issues now. There is no turning back and there is more pressure to get things right the first time. A better title for this post might be: Gavin Andresen Switches Focus from Lead Developer.

At the same time, the community can be introduced more publicly to Wladimir van der Laan.

Think of it like a brilliant family doctor you've been going to for years. He solved your problems easily and you trusted him completely. One day you walk in to see a fresh new face. Your doctor explains this is a hand picked hot shot out of med school taking over while the doctor transitions away from direct patient activity, to spend time reviewing medical journals, finding cures for cancer, that sort of thing. He makes it clear he's still available should he personally be needed, and you might seem him time to time. He leaves you and the new doctor with his phone number. This situation IMO is a win for everyone involved.

You are right.
Title changed Wink
OP modified.
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002
He is essentially being "promoted" to Chief Scientist to work on Bitcoin's mid to long term challenges, namely transaction pruning.

Exactly. This move actually strengthens Bitcoin in my view. We need someone with Gavin's experience focused more on macro thinking than micro details.

My favorite analogy for the task of core developers pushing Bitcoin code changes is it's like working on a 747 going hundreds of miles per hour. Make too big a mistake and the whole thing could crash and burn (or at least scare the hell out of the passengers). When Bitcoin was small it really needed hands on production to allow things to take off. Satoshi, Gavin and the core devs did a great job of that. Aside from some minor bumps the project has been a great success, claiming a multi-billion dollar market cap with all signs pointing to major investment funds lining up.

The stakes are higher for real world Bitcoin implementation issues now. There is no turning back and there is more pressure to get things right the first time. A better title for this post might be: Gavin Andresen Switches Focus from Lead Developer.

At the same time, the community can be introduced more publicly to Wladimir van der Laan.

Think of it like a brilliant family doctor you've been going to for years. He solved your problems easily and you trusted him completely. One day you walk in to see a fresh new face. Your doctor explains this is a hand picked hot shot out of med school taking over while the doctor transitions away from direct patient activity, to spend time reviewing medical journals, finding cures for cancer, that sort of thing. He makes it clear he's still available should he personally be needed, and you might see him time to time. He leaves you and the new doctor with his phone number. This situation IMO is a win for everyone involved.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001
mining is so 2012-2013

It is so funny, but yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a long vacation and then teams up with a 2.0, the raw programmer in him would love the potential of NXT.  At the same time, think of all the money Ethereum would through at him to legitimize Ethereum.  One thing is for sure, he loves to code and will work with somebody and it won't be Litecoin or Doge.  It isn't like he will just take up golf.
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
Wladimir van der Laan, to take his place.

http://www.coindesk.com/gavin-andresen-steps-bitcoins-lead-developer/

EDIT: Gavin has moved on to other things too.....

He got have the coins Mark stole and hs gone into pension now.
Activity: 102
Merit: 10
Maybe he noticed that the pressure from bitcoin venture investors is real and they will try hard to tame bitcoin, so they can safely build businesses linking bitcoin to the actual financial system.

Gavin had felt this pressure when the core team received a letter earlier this year, in which investors claimed to have more space in the blockchain for other data.

Allaire is one of the leaders of this trend and he is iron-decided to submit bitcoin to certain rules, like attaching identities to transactions, so governments can feel comfortable. Why? because he wants to exploit the bitcoin network and technology to make millions.

This fight will be massive. On one side the Blockchain radicals, like Andreas Antonopoulos and blockchain.info guys, on the other side, Marc Andressen and Jeremy Allaire as representatives of the capital owners and the status quo.

It seems to me that bitcoin is wild enough to dodge this attempt to be owned.
Activity: 1372
Merit: 783
better everyday ♥
He's not quitting Bitcoin fellas, he's just allocating his time elsewhere.
Activity: 224
Professional anarchist
The signal to noise ratio on this damn forum is asymptotically approaching zero.

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
I think its a good thing that Gavin takes a backseat on code maintenance and overall more encompassing view of the whole of the project,  a lot of the contributions recently have come from Wladimir so the code is in good hands. I actually think Gavin has more potential than just coding and this change will allow him to fulfill that.
The experiment is coming to an end.

Why so?
It's an open source project.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
It's kind of sad because Gavin was hand-picked by Satoshi.

Was Wladimir hand-picked by Gavin? If so, then I guess you could say that Satoshi's legacy lives on.
Activity: 392
Merit: 116
Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet
The experiment is coming to an end.
Activity: 798
It's kind of sad because Gavin was hand-picked by Satoshi.
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1125

He lost faith in Bitcoin and realized it's broken beyond repair

Or maybe he has enough coins that he doesn't need to bother anymore Wink

or both.

It can't be both because if he lost faith he would have dumped all his coins....
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

or both.

Activity: 532