Pages:
Author

Topic: Get 5 free bitcoins from freebitcoins.appspot.com - page 4. (Read 63902 times)

legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216
Chief Scientist
Will you share the source code of your service? Smiley
I'd be happy to share the interesting bits, but the architecture is... um, unique.  I'll start a thread on the Development forum describing how I built it.
staff
Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203
I support freedom of choice
Will you share the source code of your service? Smiley
Activity: 210
Merit: 104
Showing the number of Bitcoins available is on my TODO list.  I just checked and the balance is up to 1,135 (thanks to whoever donated!).
I got 5 then felt bad so sent you 50 back Cheesy

And right now it is 5 bitcoins per IP address (not bitcoin address).  Not per-day-- just 5.  I want to start out conservatively, I will loosen it to 5 per (day?/week?/month?) if people start having lots of trouble because they get a dynamic IP address from their ISP that already got some.
My mistake. I don't see that being a big problem. Perhaps have it reset every week? I doubt you'll be hard-pressed for coins, at least for now.

To make that tougher I could make it 5 bitcoins per IP AND 5 bitcoins per bitcoin address (so they couldn't have all the bots in the botnet using the same BC address).
That actually wouldn't help much. It's completely trivial to generate a new address per transaction (with JSON-RPC). If I were coding a botnet, that's how I'd do it. Adding a CAPTCHA might be wise if you notice problems, but for now I doubt you have much to lose by skipping it.

Just out of curiosity, how did you build that on the App Engine? Could I possibly see your source? I might set something similar up on my local server. As I understood it, you can't make any sort of outbound request from app engine, though. So how do you send the coins?
legendary
Chief Scientist
Showing the number of Bitcoins available is on my TODO list.  I just checked and the balance is up to 1,135 (thanks to whoever donated!).

And right now it is 5 bitcoins per IP address (not bitcoin address).  Not per-day-- just 5.  I want to start out conservatively, I will loosen it to 5 per (day?/week?/month?) if people start having lots of trouble because they get a dynamic IP address from their ISP that already got some.

RE: captchas:  yeah, I was gonna start out with a captcha, but I wanted it to be as simple and non-threatening as possible.  I don't think anybody who has access to hundreds or thousands of working public IP addresses would go to the effort of writing a bitcoin-harvesting robot, though I suppose somebody with a botnet might take a crack at it.  To make that tougher I could make it 5 bitcoins per IP AND 5 bitcoins per bitcoin address (so they couldn't have all the bots in the botnet using the same BC address).

Yeah, using only the IP is somewhat unsecure, but it's better than nothing.

I wonder if it's possible to generate coins on app engine...
Couldn't someone just keep making new bitcoin addresses and drain your system?

You should at least toss recaptcha on there.
It only gives 5 coins / IP / day. I dunno if it also checks addresses.

But it's true, a good captcha wouldn't be a bad idea.
I really like that. Do you think it would be good to post when the number of bitcoins left is below 200-300? That way people like me could donate to it to help keep this going.
Activity: 199
Merit: 2072
Awesome!
legendary
Chief Scientist
For my first Bitcoin coding project, I decided to do something that sounds really dumb:  I created a web site that gives away Bitcoins.   It is at: https://freebitcoins.appspot.com/

Five ฿ per customer, first come first served, I've stocked it with ฿1,100 to start.  I'll add more once I'm sure it is working properly.

Why?  Because I want the Bitcoin project to succeed, and I think it is more likely to be a success if people can get a handful of coins to try it out.  It can be frustrating to wait until your node generates some coins (and that will get more frustrating in the future), and buying Bitcoins is still a little bit clunky.

Please try it out and get some free coins, even if you already have more Bitcoins than you know what to do with.  You can get some and then donate them right back; the address is: 15VjRaDX9zpbA8LVnbrCAFzrVzN7ixHNsC
Pages:
Jump to: