Pages:
Author

Topic: ★☆ Get Help Here | The Ultimate Help Thread! | Free Giveaways ★☆ - page 7. (Read 7818 times)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10
Another vanity address question.
If it runs for a long period at once, is it more likely to find an address than if it's running for a few hours a day with restarts inbetween?
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
try oclvanitygen.exe -D 0:0: -o file.txt 1WTFisThis

This one worked! Thank you! Any idea if I can add more gpu's to work at the same time?

Try -d 0:0:1:4: and see if it works. If not, run multiple instances with the different devices, it'll still work.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100

This one worked! Thank you! Any idea if I can add more gpu's to work at the same time?
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
After I ran the oclvanitygen.exe with a test address it came up this:

Available OpenCL platforms:

0: [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
  0: [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] Hawaii
  1: [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] Hawaii
  3: [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] Hawaii
  4: [GenuineIntel] Intel Core i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz

But I don't know how to add the AMD gpu so that it will start working with it. What should I write in the command line for it to do it with the gpu?

I'm not too sure to be honest. If anyone else knows, feel free to chime in.

You specify the device, using -d (device number).
For example, you should use oclvanitygen.exe -d 0 1WTFisThis. If it doesn't worked with all cards specified at the same time, run multiple instances with the different devices.
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1004

But I don't know how to add the AMD gpu so that it will start working with it. What should I write in the command line for it to do it with the gpu?

I'm not too sure to be honest. If anyone else knows, feel free to chime in.
legendary
Activity: 3388
Merit: 4615

I did this and it's now running at a speed of 1.21 Mkey/s, it should be finished in 3150 years... I noticed that it's mostly taking all of my CPU memory though, so it's not working with my gpu's?

Haha, sorry I can't help much since I know nothing about this myself but sounds like you are gonna have to wait a while. Cheesy How many letters did you choose for the address?

1WTFisThis

Cheesy

With 9 characters (WTFisThis) after the 1, you'll find a matching address on average 1 out of every 7,428,000,000,000,000 addresses that you generate.  Of course you could get lucky and generate a matching address in your next attempt, but you could also get unlucky and generate 15,000,000,000,000,000 addresses before you find a single matching address.

Good luck!
I did this and it's now running at a speed of 1.21 Mkey/s, it should be finished in 3150 years... I noticed that it's mostly taking all of my CPU memory though, so it's not working with my gpu's?

If you have a Nvidia card, use the oclvanitygen.exe file inside the same folder, instead of the vanitygen.exe

I have 3x R9 290. Which should I use instead?

I think Oclvanitygen may actually support AMD cards now. Give it a shot.

legendary

If you have a Nvidia card, use the oclvanitygen.exe file inside the same folder, instead of the vanitygen.exe

I think Oclvanitygen may actually support AMD cards now. Give it a shot.

legendary

1WTFisThis

lol

Haha, sorry I can't help much since I know nothing about this myself but sounds like you are gonna have to wait a while. Cheesy How many letters did you choose for the address?

1WTFisThis

Cheesy
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Will Bitcoin Rise Again to $60,000?

Could someone help me with how I could make a "vanity address"? I heard you can have a computer generate it with the letters you want yourself the address to have. But don't really understand how that would be possible to do. And how you would get your private key?

Sorry I'm sort of new here.

They way vanity addresses are generated is to run a program that generates random private keys and then calculates the addresses from the private keys.  If repeats this process as fast as it can comparing each address to what you want it to look like until it finds what you're looking for.

There are a few programs available to do this.  As devthedev said, it would help to know what operating system you are using.

The more letters or numbers that you want to match, the longer it will take until the program finds a matching address.

If you just want to match the first letter of the address (after the 1), you will find a match on average in 1 out of every 58 addresses that you generate.

If you want to match the first two letters, you'll find a match on average 1 out of every 3400 addresses that you generate.

If you want to match the first three letters, you'll find a match on average 1 out of every 195000 addresses that you generate.

If you want to match the first four letters, you'll find a match on average 1 out of every 11.3 million addresses that you generate.

If you want to match the first five letters, you'll find a match on average 1 out of every 660 million addresses that you generate.

If you want to match the first five letters, you'll find a match on average 1 out of every 38 billion addresses that you generate.

As you can see, it quickly gets very difficult (and time consuming) to find an address that matches many letters.

Thanks for the explanation. Is this a program that everyone could learn how to use and maybe run on their own PC? As asked above I'm using Windows 7.

This does sound complicated. Can I use my gpu to do this like with mining?

Try this download from the first link here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/vanitygen-vanity-bitcoin-address-generatorminer-v022-25804
For ease it's here: https://github.com/downloads/samr7/vanitygen/vanitygen-0.22-win.zip

Extract to where ever you want.
Go to that folder, Shift + right-click (not on a file), choose open command line here.
In command line type:
vanitygen64.exe -o names.txt 1name
That's it.

Breaking that down that down.
vanitygen64.exe runs the program with following settings.
-o (lowercase O) means save to file with following name. (makes one if not found)
names.txt is the file to save to call it whatever you want.
1name is the name to search for, choose whatever you want but start with "1"
The shorter the name the faster the result.

legendary
Should i invest in couple of GPUs to try mining some alt coins or just stick to BTC trading? Is the risk worth the money? It is not a simple question, but keep asking and asking about this and i am getting so much different answer and i cannot go to the end.
Thank you!

BTC trading is extremely risky. It's essentially gambling, there's no sure fire way of predicting the markets. Investments in GPU's are risky too but probably the better of the two. You'll likely ROI in a few months if you mine with IPOMiner or a pool that always mines the most profitable coin.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005
Should i invest in couple of GPUs to try mining some alt coins or just stick to BTC trading? Is the risk worth the money? It is not a simple question, but keep asking and asking about this and i am getting so much different answer and i cannot go to the end.
Thank you!
legendary
Activity: 3388
Merit: 4615
We've answered 7 questions in this thread so far!

EDIT: For every 50 questions asked I'll be giving away a free Woodwallet to a random user who's asked a question or helped others in the thread!

Lets count questions asked:

When the difficulty changes how is it set?

What is the difference between nodes and miners?

What is a woodwallet?

Are you new to the Bitcoin community?

I'm using multibit and I want the Public Key (It's different than address) of my address, how do I get it?

what do you plan using your public key for?

Is there woodcoin since you have wood wallet?

What does the the block header look like before and after hashing?

Could someone help me with how I could make a "vanity address"? . . . And how you would get your private key?

What operating system are you using?

But, isn't this a waste of generating numbers? . . . won't that speed up the possible duplication of numbers in some future life time? Or would it not really matter because all but one of those numbers, the desired vanity address, ever be used?

Could you recommend me begginer guides for mining, mainly about buying hardware, at what point the investment is worth it, which hardware to buy, etc

What could I invest into with $10 or 0.0154btc?

Can I use my gpu to do this like with mining?

This last one wasn't phrased in the form of a question, but clearly the question "What am I missing?" is implied:

I've tried hashing that original block header but can't seem to get the corresponding hash that's recorded. I must be missing something.
legendary
We've answered 15 questions in this thread so far! 35 more and we'll be giving away 1 Wood Wallet and 1GH/s on CEX.io!
Post any Bitcoin related question you have to get us closer! Whether it's about the Bitcoin Protocol, Mining, Legalities, Wallets, etc. we'll answer every question!
legendary
Could someone help me with how I could make a "vanity address"? I heard you can have a computer generate it with the letters you want yourself the address to have. But don't really understand how that would be possible to do. And how you would get your private key?

They way vanity addresses are generated is to run a program that generates random private keys and then calculates the addresses from the private keys.  If repeats this process as fast as it can comparing each address to what you want it to look like until it finds what you're looking for.

There are a few programs available to do this.  As devthedev said, it would help to know what operating system you are using.

The more letters or numbers that you want to match, the longer it will take until the program finds a matching address.

If you just want to match the first letter of the address (after the 1), you will find a match on average in 1 out of every 58 addresses that you generate.

If you want to match the first two letters, you'll find a match on average 1 out of every 3400 addresses that you generate.

If you want to match the first three letters, you'll find a match on average 1 out of every 195000 addresses that you generate.

If you want to match the first four letters, you'll find a match on average 1 out of every 11.3 million addresses that you generate.

If you want to match the first five letters, you'll find a match on average 1 out of every 660 million addresses that you generate.

If you want to match the first five letters, you'll find a match on average 1 out of every 38 billion addresses that you generate.

As you can see, it quickly gets very difficult (and time consuming) to find an address that matches many letters.

Thanks for the explanation. Is this a program that everyone could learn how to use and maybe run on their own PC? As asked above I'm using Windows 7.

Try this download from the first link here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/vanitygen-vanity-bitcoin-address-generatorminer-v022-25804
For ease it's here: https://github.com/downloads/samr7/vanitygen/vanitygen-0.22-win.zip

Go to that folder, Shift + right-click (not on a file), choose open command line here.
In command line type:
That's it.

-o (lowercase O) means save to file with following name. (makes one if not found)

Thanks John.

In command line type:
That's it.

Pages:
Jump to: