Pages:
Author

Topic: Get rid of taxes altogether and create private cities - page 2. (Read 3747 times)

Activity: 70
Merit: 11

I worry about large waves and storms lol but I don't know how bad seasteading would be, tbh.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
Activity: 70
Merit: 11
In America, some states need to start seceding from the Union. Then smaller parts of these states could begin creating these communities which would grow rapidly. In fact, there are some communities already like this in many states in the more remote regions. They are self-sufficient, with a variety of skilled workers and do-it-yourselfers.

I have a feeling that the US Federal Government would send in troops though. Especially in states where there are a lot of nuclear missiles, like Montana.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007
It's already been done.  City is owned by a company, Alphaville Urbanismo, and you pay them for all the utilities and services and so forth.  You don't get to opt out of certain ones though IIRC, you just pay or don't live there.  I heard about it on bitcoin-otc.  One of the BTC day traders on otc either lives near by or used to work for the company or something like that.

Yeah, that's not what is being discussed here.  There is a name for what you guys are looking for.  It's a phyle.
legendary
Activity: 1658
Merit: 1001
It's already been done.  City is owned by a company, Alphaville Urbanismo, and you pay them for all the utilities and services and so forth.  You don't get to opt out of certain ones though IIRC, you just pay or don't live there.

So, you pay tax to live there? But for the rest it's free Wink
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
There are plenty of hollowed out cities, abandoned and waiting for fresh life.

Yeah, it's called Detroit, MI  Grin
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
This is already being done, at least to the extent that it can be done (in the US): http://freestateproject.org/

Also keep in mind that it isn't exactly easy to start a new society completely from scratch, especially with unbalanced demographics.

I'm a member but not yet a mover. I wonder if we could get a group of Porcs together to start a new city?
Activity: 1008
Merit: 531
This is already being done, at least to the extent that it can be done (in the US): http://freestateproject.org/

Also keep in mind that it isn't exactly easy to start a new society completely from scratch, especially with unbalanced demographics.
Can I move there and start up my own say... Trash Company, compete with the existing company?

If not, That's not what we're talking about.
Activity: 793
Merit: 1016
It's already been done.  City is owned by a company, Alphaville Urbanismo, and you pay them for all the utilities and services and so forth.  You don't get to opt out of certain ones though IIRC, you just pay or don't live there.  I heard about it on bitcoin-otc.  One of the BTC day traders on otc either lives near by or used to work for the company or something like that.
City-unState? City-Non-State?

It's not a City-State, that much I know. But yes, Defense would pretty much have to be priority #1.
Activity: 111
Merit: 10
I absolutely love the idea of city states.
Activity: 337
Merit: 250
It would probably be very expensive to design and construct an entire city from scratch. However, there is another option. We could wait for some government to collapse, and then take over one of their cities. The way we could do this is as follows. We find an unstable city, and then establish ourselves in one of their neighborhoods, or create a new neighborhood nearby. We will establish services and try to be as independent as possible. When the government collapses, chaos will reign everywhere except in our neighborhood. If we are successful, we would be able to expand our neighborhood until we encompass the entire city.

Of course, the point is not to coerce people or use violence in any way. We would take over the city because we were better, not because we were more manipulative.
Please, by all means go ahead and do that. Someone must have failed their junior sociology class...
legendary
Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121
Awww... can't we do the airship instead?

As long as you could periodically connect to the internet, why not Smiley

That is the main question here. Also, I'd look out for trying this anywhere that would be threatened by a potential 'new sovereign state' in their midst. Even if you don't mean it to be, it could be taken as such.

I do like the mental exercise though. Really comes down to where can you hit the net (without satellite) and still be out of range of greedy sovereigns?

Awww... can't we do the airship instead?
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Make a call to flight of every able bodied, worth while, individual to flash mob one of them and start
making it live...

'Lets all go to Detroit'?

You know, that actually sounds like a good idea. We'd need to get the entire social structure set up beforehand, though, and just put it into place once we get there. Basically, like Astro said, design the city online, and once we have enough people to constitute a 'skeleton crew' of a city, we start moving.
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
most people will end up in the city with most nukes paying highest taxes and taking over everyone else until one city = the world, then we repeat this all over again, and continue until we find some aliens to fight them so they pay taxes to us and not the other way around.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
Make a call to flight of every able bodied, worth while, individual to flash mob one of them and start
making it live...
Activity: 156
Merit: 102
It would probably be very expensive to design and construct an entire city from scratch. However, there is another option. We could wait for some government to collapse, and then take over one of their cities. The way we could do this is as follows. We find an unstable city, and then establish ourselves in one of their neighborhoods, or create a new neighborhood nearby. We will establish services and try to be as independent as possible. When the government collapses, chaos will reign everywhere except in our neighborhood. If we are successful, we would be able to expand our neighborhood until we encompass the entire city.

Of course, the point is not to coerce people or use violence in any way. We would take over the city because we were better, not because we were more manipulative.
Pages:
Jump to: