Pages:
Author

Topic: getting enough power from a normal house electrical system! - page 3. (Read 10681 times)

legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Avocent-Cyclades-PM10i-Intelligent-PDU-Rack-Mount-PM-10i-30A-/151383789679?pt=US_Power_Distribution_Units&hash=item233f2d506f

this one that was linked shows 30a max??

that's really not enough, I guess I've had to have like three of these...
PDUs have two ratings. The first is the total rating, which in that case is 30A. The second is the per-outlet rating, in this case 10A. Why would you need 3 of them?

For instance, while the Pulizzi one you linked has 24 C13 sockets (so probably 10-13A rated each), the whole bar is only rated to 20A in total.
Three phase.

You're looking to run 19 S1s, correct?
You can downrate a receptacle, so here would be my minimal cost suggestion if you don't want your electric heater anymore.
Install two utility boxes with a L630R. (~$50)
Wire the two existing 50A lines to them.
Buy two of the PM10i-30a's (~$100)
Plug all your PSUs into the PDUs.
Plug the fans/switches into a 15/20A 120V circuit on the wall.
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Avocent-Cyclades-PM10i-Intelligent-PDU-Rack-Mount-PM-10i-30A-/151383789679?pt=US_Power_Distribution_Units&hash=item233f2d506f

this one that was linked shows 30a max??

that's really not enough, I guess I've had to have like three of these...
is that 20a per outlet??
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000
how would I put more than one 240v socket if there is only one set of wires?

Junction box, or perhaps a 60A subpanel.
All is not lost though, you still could put a couple 240V PDUs onto one of those circuits. As I linked, you could pick up a couple of cheap managed PDUs for $100 shipped. Any modern PSU can handle 240V and will be more efficient that way anyway.

how would I put more than one 240v socket if there is only one set of wires?
i'm a software eng and one of my clients has a IT business, i'll try to get whatever old ones he has lying around for free  Cool
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000
ok this one has a decent explanation, it says max output 16a per socket

I have one of those, they're quite nice.  Personally though, if I were buying more, I'd go with the Avocent posted as it's managed.
ok this one has a decent explanation, it says max output 16a per socket
I also don't understand how they rate the PDUs. some of them say like max 16a?
I guess I didn't really look hard enough at first it does say 240v on the furnace. I was looking at the other thing on the plate

it says 208 - 240v (120v ground) 60hz
So, short answer is no, you can't run normal 120V stuff on this circuit as it doesn't look like there is a neutral.

All is not lost though, you still could put a couple 240V PDUs onto one of those circuits. As I linked, you could pick up a couple of cheap managed PDUs for $100 shipped. Any modern PSU can handle 240V and will be more efficient that way anyway.

ok I've seen a few PDUs for cheap on ebay or craigslist.

I've never used one before. how does it work? do I run the two 240v wires into it? or do I need to wire up a 240v plug??? I made the one for our dryer, so I've done that before.

just not sure how they work,
legendary
I guess I didn't really look hard enough at first it does say 240v on the furnace. I was looking at the other thing on the plate

So, short answer is no, you can't run normal 120V stuff on this circuit as it doesn't look like there is a neutral.

btw the scary circuit is going to the range

plate on furnace:

breakers on furnace:

wires going into furnace:

what can I do with the wires running into the furnace to be able to plug in some normal 110 plugs into it? is there something I can do myself?
Can you post a picture of the furnace nameplate? If there is 3 conductor cable running to the furnace, it's physically possible that you could be running at 110V. It would be extremely weird though. Often what you will see is that you'll have the element run off 240V at high current, and then lower draw items like the fan motor and the control systems will run off one of the 120V legs.

ok just a min
legendary
what can I do with the wires running into the furnace to be able to plug in some normal 110 plugs into it? is there something I can do myself?
Can you post a picture of the furnace nameplate? If there is 3 conductor cable running to the furnace, it's physically possible that you could be running at 110V. It would be extremely weird though. Often what you will see is that you'll have the element run off 240V at high current, and then lower draw items like the fan motor and the control systems will run off one of the 120V legs.
Pages:
Jump to: