Pages:
Author

Topic: GHASH.IO + DISCUS FISH >>>51% Possible to death bitcoin? - page 2. (Read 2215 times)

Activity: 342
Merit: 250
Doing a 51% attack is like shooting yourself in the face. You get absolutely nothing out of it. If you control enough hashing power to perform that, why destroy the very thing that's making you money?
Activity: 13
Merit: 0
I worry that 60% of hash power is in the hands of only two ...
Could be hacked and you lose all your money...
Can you explain the sequence of events between those two mining pools getting hacked and all bitcoin users losing their coins?

Do not lose your bitcoin, but the trust would be 0 and the value 0

An attacker that controls more than 50% of the network's computing power can, for the time that he is in control, exclude and modify the ordering of transactions. This allows him to:

Reverse transactions that he sends while he's in control
Prevent some or all transactions from gaining any confirmations
Prevent some or all other generators from getting any generations
The attacker can't:

Reverse other people's transactions
Prevent transactions from being sent at all (they'll show as 0/unconfirmed)
Change the number of coins generated per block
Create coins out of thin air
Send coins that never belonged to him
It's much more difficult to change historical blocks, and it becomes exponentially more difficult the further back you go. As above, changing historical blocks only allows you to exclude and change the ordering of transactions. It's impossible to change blocks created before the last checkpoint.

Since this attack doesn't permit all that much power over the network, it is expected that no one will attempt it. A profit-seeking person will always gain more by just following the rules, and even someone trying to destroy the system will probably find other attacks more attractive. However, if this attack is successfully executed, it will be difficult or impossible to "untangle" the mess created — any changes the attacker makes might become permanent.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1013
Can you explain the sequence of events between those two mining pools getting hacked and all bitcoin users losing their coins?
And, if you add the rest of the slices in the pie chart, you'll be at 100%

Certain death.   Wink

legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
I don't really care. Stop spreading FUD.
Activity: 588
Merit: 107
And, if you add the rest of the slices in the pie chart, you'll be at 100%

Certain death.   Wink
Brings me crazy to think that only a few people associate with bad intentions can destroy all confidence in bitcoin
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000
The people over at Hacking Distributed have a good discussion of the problem and a potential solution.
legendary
Activity: 1140
Merit: 1000
The Real Jude Austin
Pages:
Jump to: