Pages:
Author

Topic: Ghash.io reached 45% - page 2. (Read 3730 times)

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010
Borsche
January 10, 2014, 12:20:05 PM
If we're going to make this prototype the gold standard of crypto-currencies, it's going to take more than name recognition + a shitload of miners with tremendous amounts of sunk capital cranking away if the code base itself is lacking in necessary features.  Bitcoin is at risk of becoming that stereotypical gigantic corporation, easily outflanked by the smaller, nimbler competition.  I hope I am wrong.

mining pools are just one of the first steps in the evolution, a cumbersome child of quickly growing difficulty. p2pool would become a mining standard, I think in several years block rewards would be just equally split between all participating miners, without this "lottery" effect of large pools.
legendary
Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020
Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!
January 10, 2014, 12:06:00 PM
Since they're already getting close to 51% (let's face it 45% is pretty dang close), I would like to see them implement the feature of choosing your pool. If you purchase Gigahashes, and you really own them, you would think this would be an available option...

Just curious when they plan on allowing users to choose their own pool? When they reach 50.9% of hashing power?

They did mention an option they're planning to implement to allow for mining hardware to be directed to other pools. Might use that to finish up mining with Slush's pool and then either go back to them or point them at something else like a Peercoin mining pool instead.

Let's face it, CEX.io and Cloudhashing.com have made mining a bit more accessible for those who don't want to jump through all the hoops of buying and setting up ASICs and FPGAs and end up worrying about software crashes or power consumption. In other words, it's the free market at hand.
Activity: 308
Merit: 251
Giga
January 09, 2014, 04:13:55 PM
They did mention an option they're planning to implement to allow for mining hardware to be directed to other pools. Might use that to finish up mining with Slush's pool and then either go back to them or point them at something else like a Peercoin mining pool instead.

Let's face it, CEX.io and Cloudhashing.com have made mining a bit more accessible for those who don't want to jump through all the hoops of buying and setting up ASICs and FPGAs and end up worrying about software crashes or power consumption. In other words, it's the free market at hand.

yeah but the problem is the current price of their contracts isn't worth it
Activity: 388
Merit: 250
January 09, 2014, 04:08:57 PM

Activity: 280
January 09, 2014, 03:51:42 PM
If Bitcoin is going to be the currency of the future, it's going to take more than reassurances from mining pools that they'll act responsibly.  It's going to take more than people screaming on reddit to switch pools or else "teh sky will fal".  It'll take more than CEX lamely claiming they did not condone a double spend attack originating from their pool.  A protocol which secures billions of dollars of wealth (and potentially trillions) must enforce good behavior from consumers all the way to the miners.  This currency cannot assume that actors 1) will act in their own best interest and 2) have interests that are aligned with Bitcoin's success.

It's different this time (tm).  It doesn't matter if pools have exceeded 51% in the past with no ill effect.  We're talking $12 billion at stake here.  We're talking about a currency poised to replace the banking sector, sans regulatory interference.  We're talking about a technology that can replace credit cards.  To rely on the good behavior of market participants in ludicrous.

Bitcoin was the first of its kind.  A prototype, perhaps never intended for mass acceptance in its current form.  If we're going to make this prototype the gold standard of crypto-currencies, it's going to take more than name recognition + a shitload of miners with tremendous amounts of sunk capital cranking away if the code base itself is lacking in necessary features.  Bitcoin is at risk of becoming that stereotypical gigantic corporation, easily outflanked by the smaller, nimbler competition.  I hope I am wrong.
legendary
Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006
January 09, 2014, 02:56:47 PM
Quote from: Christopher Mims
To put this in context: Imagine that tomorrow, a single corporate entity gained the ability to clone all of its dollars,

and then immediately went on an asset buying spree
. To say that it would undermine trust in the US dollar would be an understatement.

http://qz.com/165273/the-existential-threat-to-bitcoin-its-boosters-said-was-impossible-is-now-at-hand

Cheesy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantitative_easing
Activity: 448
this statement is false
January 09, 2014, 02:37:07 PM
I'm not familiar with the mining side of bitcoin and what the implications are, but it's a little disappointing that one group can already gain 51% so early and quickly... when I heard about the 51% attack I thought that group would need an incredible amount of resource to pull that off which made it very unlikely to happen... but it seems like it is more likely to happen than not. Do miners get benefits for being among the pool in the 51%+ group?

i wouldn't call 5 years in "early", and it has nearly happened before. the main problem is that miners currently (and probably forever) are incentivised to join pools for a more reliable mining income, which is simply one tendency towards centralisation, similar to the tendency towards centralised exchanges (goxopoly) in the earlier years. however, i'm confident that the community as it stands today is both knowledgeable and active enough to avoid the possible crisis scenarios by leaving the pool if you are involved, monitoring the blockchain for suspicious transactions, and promoting awareness through various well-trafficked outlets like /r/bitcoin and these forums. we've shown incredible decentralised cooperation in the past and the entire story of the bitcoin project continues to amaze me as a proof of concept of how dishonest or irresponsible actors can be neutralised in decentralised systems far better than in the centralised ones to which we are accustomed.

--arepo
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Stand on the shoulders of giants
January 09, 2014, 02:27:48 PM
A pool is only as strong as the trust individuals place in it.

very true;
legendary
Activity: 1153
Merit: 1000
January 09, 2014, 02:23:08 PM
I admit I don't like this given GhashIO's history.

But when I first got into bitcoin, Deepbit (remember them) was 80% of the hash rate and they had 80%for a long time.

Deepbit at 80% didn't destroy the network because: 1) that is not in a pool's interest and 2) any attempts are highly public and would result in the majority of your subscriber base immediately leaving.

A pool is only as strong as the trust individuals place in it.
Activity: 532
Merit: 261
­バカ
January 09, 2014, 02:22:10 PM
It's not good, but this already happened before with BTC Guild...

and that article is pretty lame  Kiss

Except BTC Guild did the right thing and didn't allow it to happen... it sounds like a different story with Ghash.io and wouldn't be surprised if there are some shady fuckers behind that group

they did the "right thing" after reaching ~50%, and it seems that ghash.io will do the same: https://ghash.io/ghashio_press_release.pdf
legendary
Activity: 4032
Merit: 4562
You're never too old to think young.
legendary
Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006
January 09, 2014, 02:14:30 PM
Everyone's concerned about double-spending.  I'm more concerned about them changing the rules to something that nobody likes.

Change the rules to something nobody likes and fork off, for all I care.
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136
All paid signature campaigns should be banned.
January 09, 2014, 02:11:28 PM
Everyone's concerned about double-spending.  I'm more concerned about them changing the rules to something that nobody likes.

So you are going to update your client with these new rules?
I was going to say:  how is the evil ghash.io going to change all the clients?  But you beat me to it...
Activity: 378
Merit: 255
January 09, 2014, 02:08:02 PM
Everyone's concerned about double-spending.  I'm more concerned about them changing the rules to something that nobody likes.
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136
All paid signature campaigns should be banned.
January 09, 2014, 01:42:39 PM
One pool of miners with a majority of the hashing power is not the same thing as one malicious entity that wants to harm/kill/double spend Bitcoins with a majority of the hashing.

So, relax.

I have been here for years.  The same "OMG the sky is falling" threads happened when DeepBit attained a majority of the hashing.  Where is DeepBit now?  Where is Bitcoin now?

So, relax.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Available Now!
January 09, 2014, 01:39:23 PM
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Available Now!
January 09, 2014, 01:37:52 PM

that's from the last 2016 blocks. last 24 hours is 40%
legendary
Activity: 1330
dafar consulting
January 09, 2014, 01:37:40 PM
It's sad to see people panic over this...another proof that a concerning number of humans are dumb.

If anyone controlling 51% of the hash power is not a cause for concern at all then please provide your knowledge and relieve the concern instead of just sitting there and calling people dumb
Activity: 879
Merit: 1013
January 09, 2014, 01:35:55 PM
It's sad to see people panic over this...another proof that a concerning number of humans are dumb.
legendary
Activity: 1330
dafar consulting
January 09, 2014, 01:34:43 PM
It's not good, but this already happened before with BTC Guild...

and that article is pretty lame  Kiss

Except BTC Guild did the right thing and didn't allow it to happen... it sounds like a different story with Ghash.io and wouldn't be surprised if there are some shady fuckers behind that group
Pages:
Jump to: