Pages:
Author

Topic: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 - How to Enable 6 GPUs - page 2. (Read 4023 times)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0
I have the exact same board and issue. I tried disabling all of the sata ports except for 1 SSD slot as well and didn't work. The next thing I'm going to try is installing windows 10 to a thumb drive and completely disabling the SATA driver and see if that works. Another option may be to purchase a usb ethernet adapter and disabling the LAN. If neither works, I just purchased an ASRock H81 BTC Pro from newegg so I can get 6 easily and resell this board.

Ethereum: 0x13d031B650Fb2cBfaf66BF6586F18335deA638E2

Activity: 57
I don't have this exact board but I had to do the following to get >4 GPUs working on my current boards:

First, download the latest bios from Gigabyte's website for your motherboard to a USB drive and flash it to your motherboard (a lot have just recently added multi-gpu support for mining)
Second, ensure that 4G decoding is set to disabled, only UEFI boot is allowed in your BIOS, all the PCI-E slots are set to Gen1, and only have 1 GPU plugged in
Third, install your OS and the drivers for your main video card that your monitor will be plugged into
Fourth, reboot and go back into your bios to activate 4G decoding

At this point you should be able to plug all your cards in and have the OS recognize them without failing to boot. You can then install any remaining drivers necessary if you are mixing nvidia with amd cards.

Note that I am not sure if your motherboard actually supports the 4G decoding option, if it has nothing like this anywhere in the bios even after updating to the latest version then it just might not be possible to run all the slots at the same time with video cards. These are just steps I have had to do to get it working on the motherboards I am using. The issue with black screening during boot ended up being due to enabling the 4G Decoding option with the OS not having the video card drivers installed or not using UEFI boot to load the OS. Once those were both fixed I haven't had any issues with black screens during boot with 4G Decoding enabled.
Activity: 1
I've only been able to get 5 GPUs running myself.  The majority of the time adding the 6th causes a failure for the motherboard to POST or it will load into windows and only show 4 GPUs.  Very frustrating for sure, not sure what else to try or if it's even possible
Activity: 5
Glad to know someone else has the same issue, I read a reddit post where someone with a Gigabyte Gaming 5 was able to get 6 cards running on the latest bios. That mobo has 7 pci-e slots for whatever reason, while the Gaming 7 only has 6. I'm wondering if theres some bios code that limits it to 1 less than the max number of slots to save resources or something. But if anyone WAS able to get their Gaming 7 to work with 6 GPU's please share it would help me out a ton.
Activity: 8
Same thing here. If i put 3 cards into the pcie * 1 slot, the mb would stuck in an infinite startup retry.

My other z170x gaming 7 only recognize 4 cards. WTH.

I contacted customer service they basically gave me a dummy reply. I am thinking of switching to asus z270-a
Activity: 5
I have the GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-Gaming 7. It has 6 PCI-e slots, however Windows will only recognize 5 cards at one time. I have the latest bios and tried disabling things like excess sata ports and onboard audio, but it will not recognize the 6th GPU. Has anyone got 6 GPU's working with this or a related Gigabyte board?
Pages:
Jump to: