Pages:
Author

Topic: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 Burned Up This Morning - page 2. (Read 9329 times)

legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1000
vapor x are way better

my 7950(1100/1250) with 30.7 ambient temperature, is sitting at 70° with 50% fan, vrm at 79°
Well a 7950's VRMs naturally run cooler than a 7970's VRMs, so that's kinda pointless in this thread.
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069
vapor x are way better

my 7950(1100/1250) with 30.7 ambient temperature, is sitting at 70° with 50% fan, vrm at 79°
legendary
Activity: 952
That looks like one of your VRMs blew up. That's not the actual GPU core, but actually farther towards the end of the board, correct?

That doesn't really surprise me. These Gigabyte cards are known for running the VRMs really hot, as there's only a TINY little heatsink on the VRMs, and the air that cools that tiny little heatsink has already passed through the main heatsink and warmed up a bit. I had to struggle with my Gigabyte 7970 to keep the VRM temps below 100C, and this included undervolting, high fan speeds, stick on heatsinks on the back, and a fan blowing on those extra heatsinks. See here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=102167.5
Activity: 329
Merit: 250
Bitcoin may be the TCP/IP of money.
I guess it's just a defect product and successfully bypass their QA
or maybe a bug walked in and short the circuit
legendary
Activity: 1456
Where was this riser manufactured?

China, Taiwan (another part of China, that has its own special name), Singapore, or Indonesia?

I'm pretty sure it was a guy named Ralph. Riser Ralph they call him. From a little village outside of Hong Kong. He's known locally as an artisan when it comes to risers.

Lol here is a guy good for a laugh.   How much does Riser Raplh charge?
Activity: 90
Merit: 10
Untitled

China, Taiwan (another part of China, that has its own special name), Singapore, or Indonesia?

I'm pretty sure it was a guy named Ralph. Riser Ralph they call him. From a little village outside of Hong Kong. He's known locally as an artisan when it comes to risers.
zvs
legendary
Activity: 1680
https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004
Was this on a powered riser?

powered riser this, powered riser that... everything thinks the solution or the problem is weither or not the riser is powered or not. It's starting to piss me off.
Untitled

Regular riser.
Everything had been working fine.
Activity: 80
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
Are ฿itcoins Radioactive?
Perhaps a assembly defect... It's why warranty exists. Good luck for your future new 7970 card...
Untitled
What temperature were u running at?  I have mine running at 100c and it hasn't burned up in over 3 months!  I hope it doesn't wait til 2 years..heheh

75C- 77C. Open crate rig. I don't think it was a temperature issue.
Maybe the voltage regulator heatsink (I think that's what that is.) got a little too close to the board and shorted.

I suspect it is a random event and not a widespread problem.
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
What temperature were u running at?  I have mine running at 100c and it hasn't burned up in over 3 months!  I hope it doesn't wait til 2 years..heheh
Untitled
I had the 7970 in a rig with two other 7970s. Last night at some point it the rig shut off.
This morning the computer wouldn't boot. I thought the psu went wonky.

Unplugged. Replugged. Etc. Determined the Gigabyte was causing the problem.
Moved the card to an empty machine. Set it up. Turned it on. Flames and smoke and crackles!
What a way to start the morning.  Shocked

Card was only 15 days old so plenty of warranty/return actions available. Hooray!

Anyone care to venture a guess from looking at the photo?
http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y416/stumbling-orangutan/IMG_1264_zpscb4b4dce.jpg

Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7970 OC 3GB GDDR5 DVI-I/HDMI/2x Mini-Displayport PCI-E 3.0 Graphics Card GV-R797OC-3GD

All in good fun I say.

Pages:
Jump to: