Pages:
Author

Topic: Giovanni Santostasi - The Bitcoin Power Law Theory - page 2. (Read 378 times)

legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1491
The first decentralized crypto betting platform
Very interesting. What happens is that without having knowledge of so much depth on the subject I wonder if it will not have flaws also as the S2F, which for years was the paradigm of bitcoiners.

Will this mathematical model work if some external factors influence the BTC market? What if Bitcoin gets mass banned globally. Does it mean that the Bitcoin price could still hit 1 million by 2033, even if Bitcoin gets banned? Grin

I think it is very unlikely that this will happen but what you say is a flaw that many models have, that then there are things in the real world that happen and were not foreseen in the model.
legendary
Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458
its not a law if you have to change the numbers per market cycle

all you are doing is straightening a curve... thats just chart manipulation not anything to do with economics

yes the adjustments become less massive per cycle due to each cycle having less coins to adjust much like the natural curve becomes less wild per cycle left alone.

Giovanni has not invented or discovered some magical economic formulae that predicts the future,, he just worked out a way to straighten a curve of the past(inaccurately but close enough to then draw a line through it).. but then needs to alter the number in the future. thus not a law

if you were to use his old numbers then you will see how things change and dont fit the new numbers

but lets see him scream back how he is master of numbers coz "rocket science" and to just trust his number now are best for now cos "rocket science"

and wait 4 years for him to change them again and say "trust new numbers coz rocket science"

screw it.. lets just rip him apart now instead of waiting for him to chest beat his ego

yes he has a set of numbers to bend a standard log from curve to flat-ish of historic data.. thats not rocket science.. is just chart manipulation. even high school kids do that
but look at the purple line and the yellow diagonal-hump-diagonals he added as a overlay

the purple line starts at 20% of market peak and by 3rd cycle is crossing through 50% of peak and using his own yellow diagonal-hump-diagonal it shows the purple being above peaks

meaning the purple line is not centering all the markets at a 50% mid point. nor is the yellow humps (ath) going to be above his purples. which means it is inaccurate and shows no pattern of staying within range of anything he created.

all he has managed to do is manipulate a curve of normal log into a near but inaccurate straight-ish line.. but will need to change the numbers so its not even going to stay straight forever if he just stuck with the same numbers forever
Activity: 756
Merit: 180
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
This is Giovanni.

It is astounding to me that people do not realize what this is all about.
It is a full theory of how Bitcoin is, how it works, and how it behaves. The predictability of the price is really one of the least interesting things besides the fact that being scale invariant it is predictable.

The Theory is consistent in almost all kinds of questions you want to ask about Bitcoin. For example, answering your question. No, it will not be banned because Bitcoin survived as a scale-invariant system for 15 years.

It is anti-fragile, it is flexible and resilient. All the qualities that people use words to describe Bitcoin are actually proven mathematically (besides being scarce) in this Theory.
And it is a Theory, not a model. A full Theory, the only one I know in existence, of what Bitcoin is.

The Theory tells Bitcoin is not an asset, it is more like a living organism, a living being, a city, a mountain.

An important missing part of the previous post is to show the universality of power laws, how they can describe natural phenomena, social phenomena, and how cities grow.

Every single Bitcoiner should know the Theory and they should try to understand it. If it is true, and so far all the evidence points to be true, then it is the most important discovery about Bitcoin ever.

Saylor can use analogies or metaphors about Bitcoin, the Theory uses science to show what Bitcoin is really about.

It is amazing and weird to me that is it not viral or well known and discussed by everybody, not because I created it, but because it tells an incredibly beautiful narrative about Bitcoin and it is not a bunch of made-up words, but it is based on scientific evidence, logic, math, and physical arguments.

I know it is early and most people do not have a scientific background but it is still amazing that the significance of this discovery is not yet understood by most.
Hopefully, it will happen soon or later.

Thankfully, I have a good understanding of the mathematical and scientific aspect of this theory and I must say I found this read most fascinating as it sure puts an ease to my thoughts on the future prospects of Bitcoin. When it comes to power laws, Giovanni sure took his time to make his findings and arrived at his conclusions.

From my perspective, Giovanni has done good job having presented his power law model predictions of Bitcoin and his highlight on Scale invariance which to me, also means that if any or all of the columns is rescaled or resized by dividing or multiplication, the results won't change the power law predictions of scale invariance.

This explains just what and how the halving will happen upon division and still the value of BTC remains intact and keeps growing.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 15144
Fully fledged Merit Cycler - Golden Feather 22-23
I had an extensive chat with Giovanni.
I added a few materials to the OP based on this conversation, and I am going to dump even more material in the coming days.
I have been literally overwhelmed by his enthusiasm.

I understand hi has quite a unique approach to the subject, which is also quite in contrast with many things we learnt in the past years. So, a lot. to digest.

Activity: 95
Merit: 0
In statistics, a Power Law is a functional relationship between two quantities, where a relative change in one quantity results in a relative change in the other quantity proportional to a power of the change, independent of the initial size of those quantities: one quantity varies as a power of another.

You my dear have come up with one of the most captivating and theoretical explanation of the Bitcoin Power Law all I can say is a big thank you, I’m no physician neither am I a mathematician nor a statistician but after reading your wonderful thread, I quoted what stood out for me which also for me the main message of this thread.
I’m glad with everything outlined here I was able to pick up some knowledge I’d always keep in mind and apply daily.
Activity: 42
Merit: 23
This is Giovanni.

It is astounding to me that people do not realize what this is all about.
It is a full theory of how Bitcoin is, how it works, and how it behaves. The predictability of the price is really one of the least interesting things besides the fact that being scale invariant it is predictable.

The Theory is consistent in almost all kinds of questions you want to ask about Bitcoin. For example, answering your question. No, it will not be banned because Bitcoin survived as a scale-invariant system for 15 years.

It is anti-fragile, it is flexible and resilient. All the qualities that people use words to describe Bitcoin are actually proven mathematically (besides being scarce) in this Theory.
And it is a Theory, not a model. A full Theory, the only one I know in existence, of what Bitcoin is.

The Theory tells Bitcoin is not an asset, it is more like a living organism, a living being, a city, a mountain.

An important missing part of the previous post is to show the universality of power laws, how they can describe natural phenomena, social phenomena, and how cities grow.

Every single Bitcoiner should know the Theory and they should try to understand it. If it is true, and so far all the evidence points to be true, then it is the most important discovery about Bitcoin ever.

Saylor can use analogies or metaphors about Bitcoin, the Theory uses science to show what Bitcoin is really about.

It is amazing and weird to me that is it not viral or well known and discussed by everybody, not because I created it, but because it tells an incredibly beautiful narrative about Bitcoin and it is not a bunch of made-up words, but it is based on scientific evidence, logic, math, and physical arguments.

I know it is early and most people do not have a scientific background but it is still amazing that the significance of this discovery is not yet understood by most.
Hopefully, it will happen soon or later.

Activity: 2954
Merit: 906
Congrats on making such a long and informative forum thread. I'm not interested in science, statistics and mathematics, but the theory of this Italian guy makes sense.
OK, so the Bitcoin price will keep growing in the future. So what? This is a Bitcoin forum and most people are convinced that the BTC price will keep growing in the future. Maybe you should post this in a forum full of crypto haters and skeptics in order to convince them about the future of Bitcoin.
Will this mathematical model work if some external factors influence the BTC market? What if Bitcoin gets mass banned globally. Does it mean that the Bitcoin price could still hit 1 million by 2033, even if Bitcoin gets banned? Grin
legendary
This morning PlanG (let's call him this way) posted a new update:  

Someone asked a relevant question in the comments:

Lol, I asked a further question about this. I will post an update when I have an answer.

EDIT:
It was quicker than expected:

Here a full preview of the attached image:

legendary
Everything you wanted to know about The Bitcoin Power Law Theory, but were afraid to ask!
OP post on Bitcointalk.org: The BTC Scaling Law

During the last few weeks, I have been increasingly involved in studying a new model by an astrophysics professor turned neuroscientist, which describes Bitcoin according to Power Laws.

Giovanni Santostasi, aka  BTCdragosfera described a model where he explains why Power Laws governing price and other Bitcoin metrics (such as Active addresses and hash rate) are not a random fact but actually the symptoms of something else, namely Bitcoin being "not a common asset but more similar to natural phenomena ruled by universal Power Laws due to recursive, infinite feedback loops fundamental to the system".
Bitcoin is more similar to a city and an organism than a financial asset.

Santostasi first posted his mumblings on Reddit more than 5 years ago:

This post went almost unnoticed: Giovanni set it aside a little bit, focusing on other things, namely his new venture on Neurosciences, but kept working on the idea and finally published the following paper:

The Bitcoin Power Law Theory

If you prefer the video format, hear a video Summary of the Theory:

The material is not very well organized, so I will try to explain the ideas better in this thread.

The Power Law is only the first part of his full BTC model, where it also models a range for bitcoin price and a bubble indicator to detect excessive price movements:

Yes, of course, you have already seen that Rainbow Graph, and actually Trolololo chart is a Power Law chart

The innovation of Santostasi article is that Bitcoin is considered a financial system behaving like a natural system according well defined laws. And these laws are Power Laws. In this sense the content of the article is not a "model" about Bitcoin, but a coherent "Bitcoin theory".
According to Santostasi:
In modern science, the term "theory" refers to scientific theories, a well-confirmed type of explanation of nature, made in a way consistent with the scientific method, and fulfilling the criteria required by modern science. Such theories are described in such a way that scientific tests should be able to provide empirical support for it, or empirical contradiction ("falsify") of it. Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge,[1] in contrast to more common uses of the word "theory" that imply that something is unproven or speculative (which in formal terms is better characterized by the word hypothesis).[2]
(This is from Wikipedia - Ed.)

<...>
It is a full theory because it explains the entire behavior of Bitcoin. It has several points and explains the interaction of all the on chain parameters,

it even explains why the bubble exists,why we have a bottom, he makes predictions that make the theory falsifiable.

In science, a model is a representation of an idea, an object or even a process or a system that is used to describe and explain phenomena that cannot be experienced directly. Models are central to what scientists do, both in their research as well as when communicating their explanations.

A model is much similar to a hypothesis, so it is an initial mathematical formula or algo to try to replicate some of the behavior of the subject studied.

a Theory is the ultimate way to understand a phenomenon: it is complete in the sense that tries to explain all the observed behavior.
in this case how the on chain parameters work,how the adoption is growing,(via a virus like mechanism),how the adoption affects price(via Metcalfe law).

how the price brings in more miners, and how hashrate is related to price, how the Difficulty Adjustment kicks in, and creates a inhibitory loop that creates stability for the system, and so on and on

people do not comprehend it yet:it tells us everything we need to know about Bitcoin,there is a Corollary that even explains the Bubbles and their relevance.it can be improved and made better, but is coherent and complete:it is really a big deal

Introduction: What is a Power Law?

According to Wikipedia:

In statistics, a Power Law is a functional relationship between two quantities, where a relative change in one quantity results in a relative change in the other quantity proportional to a power of the change, independent of the initial size of those quantities: one quantity varies as a power of another.

Power Laws can be written in the following form:

Y=10^B*(x+S)^A

or:

log(y)=A*log(x+S)+B

A lot of natural, sociological, mathematical, physical, and psychological phenomena follow Power Laws.

The Power Law has a few important features.
  • Scale invariance: Power Laws remain valid when the involved variables change the order of magnitude.
  • Lack of well-defined average value: Power Laws have a median but lack a mean value.
  • Universality: Power Laws with the same exponent produces similar dynamics.

The first property is that a Power Laws drawn in a log-log chart, or a chart where both axes are on a logarithmic scale, is a straight line with slope A, B intercept, and S as a shift parameter.

Please note that a straight line in a log-log plot is necessary, but there is insufficient evidence for Power Laws. Determining a Power Law existence only because there is a straight line fitted in a log-log chart is an unsatisfactory approach to the statistical method.

Bitcoin Price plotted against time.
Pages:
Jump to:
© 2020, Bitcointalksearch.org