Pages:
Author

Topic: Giving merit to people when you don't agree with them - page 2. (Read 368 times)

Activity: 1582
Merit: 264
Do you find it hard to merit people when you don't agree with what they are saying? I'm not talking about a small disagreement here, rather about completely opposite points of view.
If it made me "see the other side of the coin", I don't have problems dropping a merit or two. It's not like I agree to whatever the user is pointing out. I just understood what they meant.
If someone would tell me that apples are better than orange, I wouldn't drop a merit on that however if someone tells me that s/he dislikes oranges because of the texture unlike apple, I might merit and it will still depend on the quality of the user's points was.
mk4
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 3816
🪸 NotYourKeys.org 🪸
It's going to completely depend on what the person said. If the topic is to a certain extent subjective (e.g. PoS vs PoW), then probably, depending on how good the thesis/reasoning is. On the other hand, something totally bad and/or totally nonfactual such as "Bitcoin is a scam", most likely not.
legendary
Activity: 3052
Merit: 2313
If the person put enough effort to his post, I can give him merits I don't have to agree with him. I tend to give merits to the posts that I agree with but it is not always the case.

I try to be objective, except when discussions lead to insults. If someone insults me, I put him on ignore and I won't give him any more merits.

This is the best way to counter trolls. I ignore them and voila, the world is just a better place from that moment on.
Activity: 2338
Merit: 251
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
When the post contains something worth to read then there is no wrong with giving merit to it either you agree or not but no one can decide that who has to merit which posts,it all depends on the individual preferences.

Even theymos mentioned that you are not supposed to merit a post simply because you are agreeing the context, prefer the quality amd contribution will make better community.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1143
Afaik, we all have different points of view on the quality of posts made by other users. Usually I will give merit to posts that are written objectively, very neatly and easily understood and useful for other users. Sometimes I also feel that there are standards that the user may not be able to achieve in the way I expected, but because he is willing to put in the effort, I can give merit for his efforts. 1 merit may not be valuable for users who can contribute through quality posts, but 1 merit will be very valuable for those who are trying to improve the quality and knowledge of their forum and it can give them more motivation.
legendary
Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824
When I give merits I always look at the quality of the post and how much the content of the post can help other members or contribute to the forum.
I don’t really remember ever finding myself in the dilemma the OP is talking about.
I don't know, it's probably normal to have a better relationship with some forum members and maybe no so good relationship with some other members, but that doesn't mean I'll give someone a merits just because I like him more.
Merits should not be a sign of attention to friends but a reward to members who have contributed something to the forum. Grin
Activity: 1988
Merit: 527
FREE passive income eBook @ tinyurl.com/PIA10
Depends on the context. If the argument points are valid, let's say vaccination vs anti-vaccination then I don't mind giving some Merit.

But if it involves anything that defies logic or some conspiracy shit like theymos is Satoshi in the flesh, definitely it's something not Merit-worthy.
Activity: 1400
Merit: 655
Bitcoin is achievement
I don't think giving Merit is base on agreement and if it's base on an agreement many people won't has ranked up today because they will be conflict between two user's, and if it's has done like what you stipulates it's absolutely abusing of Merit system because Merit will be regulated instead of circulation, we don't have to agree with anyone before giving out Merit, the aim of giving Merit  to users is for growth due to hardworking through quality post making.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 4776
There are some posts a user will prove you wrong with evidences, meriting such a post is not bad at all

If other experienced members also support a post only me against, I would have known I was wrong, meriting the post of the person that first corrected me is very good.

What should be gone for is quality.
legendary
Activity: 1960
Merit: 1908
Marketing Campaign Manager |Telegram ID- @LT_Mouse
Merit is not a matter of agree or disagree. Rather it's all about quality. If I find a post high quality from my point of view, I would merit that post regardless of whether I agree or don't. That should not be an issue while meriting I think. However, a lot of people share merit just because they agree.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1888
Do you find it hard to merit people when you don't agree with what they are saying? I'm not talking about a small disagreement here, rather about completely opposite points of view.

Since I've been on the forum I've made sure to give people merit even if I don't agree with what they say but I recognize that it's not as easy as when you do agree with them.

Moreover, I think that many times merits are given simply because people agree with what the other is saying and not so much because the post is specially worked.

I think another thing that is also hard is, if you have had a heated argument with someone (and at that time you have not given them merit because you understand that those posts do not deserve it), to give them merit in other posts that you find in the forum later on. Again, that's another thing I've made sure to do, to give someone merit regardless of previous arguments, but I think it goes against our instincts.

I try to be objective, except when discussions lead to insults. If someone insults me, I put him on ignore and I won't give him any more merits.

What are your views and experiences about it?
Pages:
Jump to: