Pages:
Author

Topic: Going across borders with....knowledge of a private key? - page 2. (Read 1071 times)

Activity: 675
Merit: 500
Some countries have capital controls.
You can't send more than __$ outside the country.
Let them try stopping bitcoins.  Tongue
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1029
^ gd point
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1047
Your country may be your worst enemy
It's just like a credit card! Some cards have a withdrawal limit upwards of $10,000. Only cash is regulated.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003
One thing I would point out there was acually a guy ages ago that tried crossing into America but they said he didn't have the amount required to stay there even though he had it in Bitcoins.

That's pretty funny, and fair enough really!  Couldn't he just have traded it for USD then gone in? Surely he couldn't have assumed that his bitcoin would count towards the amount required to stay in the US.
If you just keep your private key written somewhere, they will never know that you have it.  I also don't know if they would know how to find out how much you had in your account as you travel.

It makes bitcoin quite useful for the rich who want to be mobile with large amounts of money, though apparently they aren't buying in too much at the moment!
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
As far as I'm aware they wouldn't be able to do anything in regards to Bitcoin, that said, if you walk up to them claiming you have $10,000 worth of Bitcoin you're probably asking for trouble, best just to go low key and declare anything you have that's physical. One thing I would point out there was acually a guy ages ago that tried crossing into America but they said he didn't have the amount required to stay there even though he had it in Bitcoins.

Because these people are largely dumbasses they likely won't be looking for Bitcoin at all, it's only if you're carrying precious metals etc. that you need to worry about this moment in time, but to be on the safe side, I would actually advise just for the duration of the trip either getting your own private VPS ( I'd consider this the safest option as you, for the most part have direct control ) or putting the coins on a secure online wallet while you travel. Then when you get to where you're going, get out your laptop and then transfer the coins, that may seem silly, but if you ever end up having your laptop or phone confiscated because of mentioning Bitcoin, you'll be glad you did it.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1029
Seriously, how does this work? (When people are limited to carrying goods or currency in amount not greater than $10,000?)

Is it about "working-to-rule" for us BTCers and wasting (ours) and lots of immigration people's time by telling them that our money is effectively with us all the time?
Pages:
Jump to: