Pages:
Author

Topic: Google 2 A Authentication - page 2. (Read 1218 times)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0
August 04, 2014, 08:26:53 PM
Sorry in advance if this question has been asked before, I can't find it.

I am new to BTC, there is a lot of good info here but will take time I see to learn it all.

My question is: what happens if i loose my mobile with my 2 A Authentication on it? How do I log back in to the exchange? Will I have to email them and jumb through lots of questions? Would it be easy to set up again on new phone?
I have not lost it but was just wondering as no exchanges seem to give a secret backup code.

Also if you use a online wallet and I want to use it while away from my computer, that means I need two phones, one to log on and the other to get my Authentication code. Who walks around with two phones, unless one is a work one which I would not want to use.

Thanks in advance.

I recommend that you take a photo of the QR code when setting up 2FA and keep it safe. If you lose your phone you can use it to get back into your account without having to deal with the website. Some websites don't have proper procedure in place to deal with lost 2FA devices. There is no "standard" way to do it, each website has it's own procedure to deal with it and it might be difficult to get back in.

Well not wanting to look stupid; Oops to late Embarrassed

How would you use a photo to get back into the exchange?
Activity: 672
Merit: 508
LOTEO
August 04, 2014, 08:20:07 PM
2FA Authentication is not related to Bitcoin, but a security setting of an online exchange: you can use bitcoin outside of exchanges (in desktop wallets or paper wallets) which do not require it.

If you lose your mobile, you would need to contact the exchange admins and in some way prove it's you. As long as you don't get a reply from them your money is stuck there. You need a private key to move the money, but usually exchanges don't give you your private key. They will only show the public key. Thus in this situation you need either to prove it's you, probably by sending a lot of personal information, or to find your phone again.

That's one of the major differences between using a desktop wallet and an online exchange.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
August 04, 2014, 08:15:54 PM

I am new to BTC, there is a lot of good info here but will take time I see to learn it all.

My question is: what happens if i loose my mobile with my 2 A Authentication on it? How do I log back in to the exchange? Will I have to email them and jumb through lots of questions? Would it be easy to set up again on new phone?
I have not lost it but was just wondering as no exchanges seem to give a secret backup code.

Also if you use a online wallet and I want to use it while away from my computer, that means I need two phones, one to log on and the other to get my Authentication code. Who walks around with two phones, unless one is a work one which I would not want to use.

Thanks in advance.

I recommend that you take a photo of the QR code when setting up 2FA and keep it safe. If you lose your phone you can use it to get back into your account without having to deal with the website. Some websites don't have proper procedure in place to deal with lost 2FA devices. There is no "standard" way to do it, each website has it's own procedure to deal with it and it might be difficult to get back in.
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
August 04, 2014, 08:11:51 PM
Looks to me that it's 2FA you know nothing about.
Activity: 18
Merit: 0
August 04, 2014, 08:03:56 PM

Thanks in advance.
Pages:
Jump to: