Pages:
Author

Topic: Google authenticator discussion - page 2. (Read 216 times)

Activity: 280
Merit: 28
May 08, 2021, 07:43:08 PM
To be honest, I am using Google Authenticator before but I switched to Authy owned by Twilio.
It is also the same with Google Authenticator, it's still a 2-step verification application.
But Authy and Google Authenticator are both non-open sourced projects, these are only the downsides of them for me.

Another alternative for the two is Aegis Authenticator, which is OPEN-SOURCED 2-step verification app.

Do all these 3 applications work same? I mean, if any site proposes to use 2FA and prompts you to use Google Authentificator, can you use other 2 instead?
legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 1354
May 08, 2021, 07:31:19 PM
To be honest, I am using Google Authenticator before but I switched to Authy owned by Twilio.
It is also the same with Google Authenticator, it's still a 2-step verification application.
But Authy and Google Authenticator are both non-open sourced projects, these are only the downsides of them for me.

Another alternative for the two is Aegis Authenticator, which is OPEN-SOURCED 2-step verification app.
legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 1167
Gamble responsibly
May 08, 2021, 06:14:44 PM
One thing I have known about google is that the company has many ways of exposing people to scammer, like the Google search engines that display ads like normal links of a site which can be for scammers, making people to think the ads are the site of legit sites but not, I have been using duckduckgo long ago when I knew google do not care about my privacy. In fact, I stop anything that is related to google, but a friend of mine get in touch with me few days ago and we discussed about google authenticator, he told me that google are truly exposing people to scams but google authenticator is different, that I can still trust to use it, that no internet connection or saving any data on cloud. I tried it out and I found it to be true. But I am thinking I can still not be getting something right.

Is google authenticator good? Or still one of the google products that exposes people to scammers and making users to lack privacy?
Pages:
Jump to: