Pages:
Author

Topic: Got a bunch of old HDD from Burst mining days… need them destroyed. - page 2. (Read 291 times)

Activity: 208
Merit: 46
Just write new data up, is more easy in that way...
copper member
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1788
฿itcoin for all, All for ฿itcoin.
Just put them all into your oven and turn it on for an hour. Problem solved  Grin
I think he still needs the hard drives, he probably just needs the data in their completely destroyed so that It can't be recovered with a good data recovery software.

Another solution is to create new wallets and sweep funds off the old address whose private keys you suspects might have been written in the drives.
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1026
So basically a few weeks back someone mentioned about HDD mining. And I remember I got a box of HDD which I couldn’t liquidate since there is no market for used HDD.

I got tons of these HDD. Some might have some private keys, some might have other private info. So I need to wipe them however wiping a 500gb hard drive with 1 and 0 a few write cycles can take like 12 hours.

So wondering what is the best way to destroy all the data without actually wiping it?
Do you want to use these hard drives later or not?
The fastest option is physical destruction, but I would connect 2-6 hard drives overnight and format them using a special program. Then these hard drives can be used for mining farms or sold.
Activity: 412
Merit: 21
Just put them all into your oven and turn it on for an hour. Problem solved  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 4508
**In BTC since 2013**
So wondering what is the best way to destroy all the data without actually wiping it?

Do you really want to erase the data from the discs, then try to sell them in second-hand markets? Or do you want to destroy the disks completely?

If you want to completely destroy hard disks, the best way is to destroy them. For example, you can use a drill and drill holes in the disks, that way nobody will be able to use them. Another way is to use a hammer and break the disk. This can even be a real exercise to relieve stress. Roll Eyes

If you just want to erase the data, to be safe to sell them, unfortunately you really have to do an individual cleaning.

One suggestion I can give to minimize having to rewrite the entire disk is to encrypt all the information on the hard disk. And after encrypting format the disk. It may not be as efficient as rewriting it, but it will be very difficult for someone to recover that data.

You can see how to do this in the following tutorial:
https://www.cloudwards.net/how-to-encrypt-your-hard-drive/

This method can save you a few hours doing it individually. Give it a try to see how it works.
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708
So basically a few weeks back someone mentioned about HDD mining. And I remember I got a box of HDD which I couldn’t liquidate since there is no market for used HDD.

I got tons of these HDD. Some might have some private keys, some might have other private info. So I need to wipe them however wiping a 500gb hard drive with 1 and 0 a few write cycles can take like 12 hours.

Pages:
Jump to: