Pages:
Author

Topic: GPU brute forcing an encrypted wallet - page 2. (Read 16576 times)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250
Honest 80s business!
August 11, 2014, 07:48:03 AM
Does anyone have a comparison of how long this would take with a script/interpreter language like Ruby or Python, vs. a compiled and highly parallized computation on a GPU? I guess we're talking 4-5 orders of magnitude here?
Activity: 602
Merit: 500
August 11, 2014, 06:13:27 AM
So bad news....exhausted...
But i am so sure short word 5-6 letters and it is a word, not jibberish like adjkgs. But I think this is it, of course i could pay fees, i am not greedy, just it would be nice get just my old bitcoin..

But thabnks for all the help

Sad to hear I would keep trying and if you do fail and cant think of any thing else I should think you wouldn't mind paying much of a fee.
Activity: 16
Merit: 0
August 11, 2014, 04:35:16 AM
So bad news....exhausted...
But i am so sure short word 5-6 letters and it is a word, not jibberish like adjkgs. But I think this is it, of course i could pay fees, i am not greedy, just it would be nice get just my old bitcoin..

But thabnks for all the help
Activity: 89
Merit: 10
August 11, 2014, 03:16:34 AM
You realize if you are successful you could brute force ANY BTC wallet whether you had legitimate claim to it or not.

In other words, bitcoin would be essentially dead, since you could take from any arbitrary wallet.  You would start with the biggest ones, of course, and eventually word would get out, and bitcoin would be officially dead.

So far, since the 2009 release of the bitcoin protocol, nobody has hacked an arbitrary wallet.  This is presumably not for lack of trying.

I would, to quote Justin Bieber, "Never say never," but if you want a way to open a wallet, you might be brute forcing for a long, long time.

Maybe you are confusing cracking the user password for the wallet with cracking a private key? A wallet password would crack easier or harder depending on what the password was.

i hope this program cannot open my wallet and the others
make something useful for humankind, not a kind of destructable
ok ...
staff
Activity: 3290
Merit: 4114
August 10, 2014, 06:58:01 PM

Not sure about OP's case, but for Ronya, his password is very short and simple, and it is not really hard to brufe-force it.

Yes. Ronya should be able to crack it pretty soon, I'm surprised it's taking as long as  it is though, guess it depends on the hardware you got pumping that script. I'm unsure how fast btcrecover is though.(a quick glance and the code is actually pretty clean and should run at decent speeds depending on hardware and whether it is able to utilize cores) I've had some similar scenarios and it's taken a few hours at most.

I wish you the best of luck Ronya and hope you can get access back, if you can't you can always send me a message and we'll discuss more about the issue.

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
August 10, 2014, 06:42:27 PM
You are kinda screwed...
the wallet is encrypted with multiple rounds of AES making it much, much harder to crack by almost any means.
Try getting a quantum computer  Cheesy

Wrong. It's indeed very possible to crack a password if you know a little about it. I've found around 8 passwords within a week. That is because they knew a little bit about their password. If you know the majority of your password you should be able to get it. If you are certain you used it but, might of made a typo(s) then it takes under a hour usually to find. The less you know about the password the more the chance of recovery failing.

Remember, we are not trying to crack a private key, but a password. It's much easier and is possible.

If anyone, needs help. Feel free to contact me about the matter.

Not sure about OP's case, but for Ronya, his password is very short and simple, and it is not really hard to brufe-force it.

I know for certain it was short and german. Maximun 5-6 letters(no numbers). Normally the first Letter is Big, you know what i mean, not frog, but Frog.
Activity: 307
et rich or die tryi
August 10, 2014, 06:40:51 PM
You are kinda screwed...
the wallet is encrypted with multiple rounds of AES making it much, much harder to crack by almost any means.
Try getting a quantum computer  Cheesy

Wrong. It's indeed very possible to crack a password if you know a little about it. I've found around 8 passwords within a week. That is because they knew a little bit about their password. If you know the majority of your password you should be able to get it. If you are certain you used it but, might of made a typo(s) then it takes under a hour usually to find. The less you know about the password the more the chance of recovery failing.

Remember, we are not trying to crack a private key, but a password. It's much easier and is possible.

Ahh OK, I misunderstood, in that case than sure, just bruteforce it to death.
staff
Activity: 3290
Merit: 4114
August 10, 2014, 06:30:38 PM
You are kinda screwed...
Try getting a quantum computer  Cheesy

Activity: 307
et rich or die tryi
August 10, 2014, 05:16:20 PM
You are kinda screwed...
Try getting a quantum computer  Cheesy
August 10, 2014, 04:09:43 PM
Half-time...six hours to got...I go to sleep...maybe a surprise when i wake up

Thanks again BTchris for patience,knowlegde and Help
August 10, 2014, 02:35:25 PM
I've used: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bitcoin-wallet-password-recovery-717334

Sorted out my problem in little to no time and was pretty cheap can't recommend him enough I found a post on reddit about his service and decided to ask him a few questions which he answered straight away and then contacted in through email which I found on the reddit post. Think it took no longer than 2 hours from sending him the details.

But there is also: http://www.walletrecoveryservices.com/

These are suppose to be good but take a bigger fee which wasn't worth it in my opinion.  I've heard great things though

Or of course you can try and use btcrecover but it seems these guys who offer the service do it much faster and have custom hardware and custom scripts.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
August 10, 2014, 02:30:44 PM
Is it really possible to do this with brute force? I mean a ruby or python script won't do you any good, that's sure... they're interpreted languages. I guess it totally depends on the size of your key then.... A GPU could do this. But of course it is still futile for a real bitcoin private key! They're safe!

Brute-forcing a 256bit bitcoin private key is statistically impossible, but brute-forcing the password of an encrypted wallet is completely doable if there are only a few unknown characters in the password.
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1055
August 10, 2014, 02:00:01 PM
Use this service: http://www.walletrecoveryservices.com/

These guys are experts in wallet hacking and are reliable.
August 10, 2014, 01:55:20 PM
I know it is a german word. And Maximun 5-6 Letters. No Numbers or+-*/ a german word

But I remember not a single Letter. My Style is that i start my word with Capital Letter. not perfume But Perfume
August 10, 2014, 01:45:25 PM
@btcchris

Absoutley it answers my question. 9 hours to go

You must know the majority of the password do you? how many characters don't you know? 12 hours seems like a very short time to wait.
August 10, 2014, 01:17:37 PM
@btcchris

Absoutley it answers my question. 9 hours to go
Activity: 672
Merit: 504
a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub
August 10, 2014, 12:51:32 PM
Is it really possible to do this with brute force? I mean a ruby or python script won't do you any good, that's sure... they're interpreted languages. I guess it totally depends on the size of your key then.... A GPU could do this. But of course it is still futile for a real bitcoin private key! They're safe!

You're right, Bitcoin keys cannot be feasibly brute-forced.

But this thread is talking about brute-forcing the password on wallets. If the password is weak enough, or if you know enough about the password, it's certainly feasible (and a GPU can help, depending on the wallet).

As far as using a scripting language goes: yes they are slower, but many scripting languages implement the time-consuming portions (e.g. SHA) in native code, so using a scripting language isn't as big of a performance hit as you may think (btcrecover is written in Python, for example, but most of the crypto uses native code libraries (not written by me) or OpenCL for GPU acceleration).

Moral of the story is: use strong passwords. Smiley
Activity: 672
Merit: 504
a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub
August 10, 2014, 12:38:18 PM
Quick Questions in the cmd i understand everythings ETA 11 means 11 hours to go

But[###-----------------------] is written there at the momemt, should this my pw at the end, i am confused it was never so long

It should look something like this:

Code:
Read additional options from tokenlist file: --pause --no-dupchecks --wallet multibit.key
Counting passwords ...
Done
Using 4 worker threads
116668178 of 642544812 [#####--------------------------] 0:06:26, ETA:  0:29:01

In this example, it's been running for 6 minutes so far, and it has 29 minutes before it's tried every combination.

If it finds the password, it will look like this:

Code:
Read additional options from tokenlist file: --pause --no-dupchecks --wallet multibit.key
Counting passwords ...
Done
Using 4 worker threads
116668178 of 642544812 [#####--------------------------] 0:06:26, ETA:  0:29:01
Password found: 'Passwd'
Press Enter to exit ...

Or if it tries every combination and the password is something else (e.g. maybe it's longer, or has numbers), it will look like this:

Code:
Counting passwords ...
Done
Using 4 worker threads
642544812 of 642544812 [#######################] 0:35:27, Time: 0:35:27
Password search exhausted
Press Enter to exit ...

Does that answer your question?
August 10, 2014, 12:30:12 PM
Please do not discourage me  Sad Wink
Activity: 280
Relax!
August 10, 2014, 11:40:02 AM
Pages:
Jump to: